Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Planning ahead

Snyder10

To paint a picture, where my stand sits, I know the deer are bedding directly to the west so obviously an easterly wind is perfect in terms of scent control. Thursday calls for a NE wind so I should be good, but Friday calls for a NW wind which will be blowing the direction that 9/10 the deer are coming out. I need advice on how to plan ahead for Friday. Would you scent up big time and do a risk/reward hunt from the stand, or would you walk the perimeter and risk getting busted while sitting on the ground behind the ghost blind? I know the golden rule is "hunt the wind" but I dont want to spook the deer making the trek in. What do ya think?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm guessing you meant to say that the deer are bedding directly east of your treestand, not west? Otherwise the wind direction scenarios don't make sense. Regardless, I would hunt it in whatever way that keeps my scent away from those deer. I wouldn't rely on scenting or smoking up as a cover scent. At this point in the season, a likely scenario is a buck following a mature doe that is either in estrus or close. Your best chance at shooting him is letting her get past you... meaning you absolutely cannot risk letting her smell you. When she spooks, it's game over for you.

Snyder10

Thanks Mike, thats what I was thinking. Would you sit in the stand then or sit Friday out? I get 2 days to hunt this week, so I feel like I have to be in the stand

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
If a NW wind will blow scent into the bedding area, I’d do like suggested and set up SE of where you expect the deer to travel. If there is a main travel corridor just pick a spot downwind of that with a bit of cover...or use a climber, or sit on the ground uphill if possible. Be careful of evening stands though as the cooling thermals will carry your scent downhill.

Reactions: giles and Snyder10

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can, I just think it might be risky with the entrance and spooking them. The farthest back I would go, has also been where I’ve kicked them up from being bedded
Get there well before daylight?
Chuck is right. Spooking deer in the dark is much less offensive than spooking them in daylight when they catch your wind.

Snyder10

I'm guessing you meant to say that the deer are bedding directly east of your treestand, not west? Otherwise the wind direction scenarios don't make sense. Regardless, I would hunt it in whatever way that keeps my scent away from those deer. I wouldn't rely on scenting or smoking up as a cover scent. At this point in the season, a likely scenario is a buck following a mature doe that is either in estrus or close. Your best chance at shooting him is letting her get past you... meaning you absolutely cannot risk letting her smell you. When she spooks, it's game over for you.
🤦🏻‍♂️ Yes bedded east