Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Politics of High-Fence Hunting

i hunt high fence for rams and certian exotics , you couldnt pay me to hunt a native north american animal behind a high fence , deer and elk for example, but exotic rams , and deer like stags and such ill hunt behind a fence if the ranch is big enough , i wont even go near a small hutning ranch. on to my point

a land owner should have he right to do what ever he wants on his own land , if he wants to put up a fence and raise some deer or elk and have people to pay to hunt them , more power to them, no one is forcing people to hunt these places , no one says anything bout having pet deer , but when that pet gets shot , animal rights activist are up in arms about it, basicly its our freedom of choice , we can choose to hunt a place like that or not to hunt a place like that , as long as they follow the rules , i see no problem with high fence operations

how come you never see them bitching bout bird preserves, a animal has more of a chance surviving on a high fence ranch , then a bird does at a preserve , i hunt em all though

it all comes back to choice , we have the freedom to choose where , when , and how we wanna hunt, with in the laws

Can't get into the article at work but here is one thought.
Exotics have a habit of escape and never caught, a breeding population can explode in a short time with the abundant food in the area.
Case in point, can't remember where I read it but Texas has ran into this problem of escaped exotics and they compete for the same food as the native and domestics. Some areas are of a real concern.

Wild hogs are another example and we all know how much damage they cause.
Sooner or later a disiese will get thru and could be very detrimental to wildlife and livestock.

Just sayin

Who will take the responsibility?

Proponents of the measure claim the practice of raising, enclosing, then shooting trophy elk and deer offends the American notion of fair chase hunting. And they’re right. As a recent Wall Street Journal article notes, the practice is offensive to many hunters who prefer to hunt free-ranging wildlife that have every opportunity to escape.

instead of complaining what other hunters do or hunt with, mabey hunters should start saying . its not for me , or i dont care to hunt like that . instead of bitchin and trying to put them selves on a high , holy er than you , better than , and so on platform . h

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Just wanted to let yall know some environmental greenies have been viewing this page seven times since Sunday.... Everyone wave to the greenies.... :smiley_byebye:

if the greenies wanna worry bout something let them go save the whales or something , i cant hunt whales so im not to worried bout them.........lol

mmmmmmmmmm whale blubber sounds pretty good right bout now

with some baby seal tartar on the side

k now im really hungry

it all comes down to , its theyre property if thats what the wanna do with it then it should be theyre own choice , we take that choice away from them then we are going against what a free country is supposed to be

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Somewhere OHIO
I don't and never would hunt high fence or canned hunts. I think landowners should be able to use their property as they see fit but, when used for hunting preserves they should be regulated and watched very close by DNR officials. IMO it isn't fair for the animal nor is it right for those people to use the HUNTER name or portray it as hunting. They aren't hunting anything. They should be called shooters not hunters.

I'm not going to tell people they can't or shouldn't but I also think they should change the use of " Hunter or Hunting " in those places.

Good case in point.

A very well known country singer just had a report on the TV that I will no longer support his music.

Country music superstar Troy Gentry, half of the Montgomery/Gentry duo, is one of the biggest names in country music. He is also an avid hunter with a macho image.

But a shocking just-released video is causing uproar among his fans. It shows the singer hunting down a 600-pound black bear with a bow and arrow.

But this was no wild bear. His name was Cubby and he was raised in captivity on a wildlife reserve. He was so tame he would literally eat snacks out of your hand.

And this so-called hunt actually took place inside Cubby's pen, surrounded by an electrified fence.

When the 44-year-old Gentry shot down Cubby, he turned to the camera and said this:

"We'll let him lay there a little bit, make sure he bleeds out good. It has been a long hunt. Had two beautiful days."

But the whole process didn't take two days. It took just two hours.

"Wow! What an experience. This is awesome," said Gentry on the video tape.

Gentry was fined $15,000 and banned from hunting in the state of Minnesota for five years for falsely claiming the bear was killed in the wild.

"This has been a humbling experience for me and one which I deeply regret," he told his fans at the time.

The fine was imposed in 2006, but the video of the so-called "hunt" was just released by the animal rights group S.H.A.R.K., and it is reigniting the scandal.

"Troy Gentry killed a tame captive bear inside an enclosure, then tried to make this look like it was a fair chase out in the wild, when in reality, they killed him in a very cowardly manner," said Mike Kobliska of S.H.A.R.K.

Gentry paid the wildlife refuge owner $4,650 for the chance to kill Cubby. Reports say old Cubby needed dental work the owner didn't want to pay for.

here is a link to the video.

http://www.insideedition.com/videos/657/troy-gentry-kills-tame-bear-in-wildlife-reserve.aspx

In the video he said it took 2 days to get a shot at that bear when in reality it only took 2 hours.
Complete BS and I will no longer support anything he does.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
if the greenies wanna worry bout something let them go save the whales or something , i cant hunt whales so im not to worried bout them.........lol

mmmmmmmmmm whale blubber sounds pretty good right bout now

with some baby seal tartar on the side

k now im really hungry

it all comes down to , its theyre property if thats what the wanna do with it then it should be theyre own choice , we take that choice away from them then we are going against what a free country is supposed to be
That's exactly what the greenies are saying...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio
Not hunting to me and I choose not to do it. If someone feels better about themselves for shooting an animal in an enclosure (which follows all the laws and regulations which may apply) then I feel sorry for them. Must really suck to lack the skills needed to hunt down an animal fair chase to feed your family.

the main reason i hunt them , k lemme rephrase that , shoot animals in them is , cause if i went to one of these exotic animal sales and baught a few rams or fallow or sitka deer and then took them home and killed them then took them to the taxidermist , i would have animal cruelty charges all over me cause they would be consider a pet , but if i go to a preserve and shoot one then i dont get the hassle from animal rights folks , exotics make beautiful taxidermy specimens , i dont call it hunting i call it target practice , plus its a lot cheaper getting one from a ranch then an exotic sale

but i dont see myself as a high fencer cause i havent gotten to kill one in a preserve yet

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio
I will have to dig up the link. They are auctioning off "one of the largest bucks in the world" on one of the auction websites I keep track of. Advertised as "any weapon you want" and my favorite line was "guaranteed kill". Gee, is it really a hunt? Or is it a chicken plucked out of the yard for dinner?

Dannmann801

Supporting Member
Springboro
These are just my thoughts. I try to avoid contention but this is what I'll say....

1) Even if I had buttloads of money and could afford high fence hunts, I would not participate. Being able to say "fair chase" is more important to me than a big rack.
2) If someone else has the money and chooses to spend it that way, then power to 'em. To them, maybe their time is more important than being able to claim "fair chase". But they should not be denied the opportunity to pursue their hobby in their fashion. But face the fact: their "harvest" will always be tainted by the stigma of not being "fair chase". And IMO, rightly so.
3) If someone has land and wants to invest in putting up fences and raising game instead of cattle and then wants to allow that game to be killed for money, they have that right. They should be able to use their land and their property (the animals they raise) as they see fit to make their living. It's no different than raising cattle or chickens for slaughter. And IMO, those range animals probably live and die better than domestic cattle, certainly better than chickens. Some common-sense regulation would be in order to avoid disease spread etc, but these ranchers should be treated fairly.
4) I hope the ranchers retain the right to continue doing business. Animal rights weenies need to get a life and focus their efforts on helping their fellow humans. And I reserve the right to believe that my medium-size lil' 9pt bucketbuck is better and more well-earned trophy than any $8500 canned-hunt rack. And the guy who can afford the $8500 rack has the right to think I need to get a better education/job so I can afford a canned hunt and get a huge rack in 3 days instead of busting ass over a whole season.

rrr

Jack - you've completely lost me. (Not hard to do these days).

Dan - I'd agree with all of those points, good thoughts.