Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pork fat

Smawgunner

Athens
Whats the best supplement to add to ground venison for hamburgers? I heard pork fat....80/20? But where do you buy pork Fat?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't like to add anything to my regular ground venison. But when I make a batch of "italian sausage" for making with spaghetti, I do add pork trimmings, which I get from a local butcher shop. Pork trimmings and pork fat are in fact different, so if you get straight pork fat you may not need to add quite as much.

Jamie

Ohio
I never add anything to my ground venison. whenever I make burgers I'll add a drizzle of olive oil or bacon grease. sometimes chopped cooked bacon or green onions or shallots caramelized in bacon grease. sometimes I add nothing. I like having pure ground venison to do whatever I feel like.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I only add when making summer sausage, straight fat makes it too greasy. I prefer to use a fatty pork roast or shoulder. 10% seems to be the trick. But as far as straight fat, local butcher sells it for .75 a pound

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Wife is majorly allergic to domestic pork, which totally sucks in the worst way cause I absolutely love pork, so I've been doing mine with beef for many, many years, much like what Joe mentioned above. At times during friends & family cookout gatherings, some have asked the wife where she buys her beef burger, which always brings a chuckle out of me when she shares those kinds of stories with me.

Funny thing is, the wife has no problem eating wild boar. I've been wanting to do another boar hunt over the last couple of years, but it hasn't happened yet. If we get through this crazy election year unscathed and the country isn't completely unrecognizable by next Spring, then I will try to put together an out of town boar hunt. I'll put out an invite for those that might be interested. Trust me, if you have not done one before, they are an absolute blast and I totally miss that delicious pork that come from those exciting hunts!

Last edited:

Outside

Chinese markets are good for pork, in all its various forms. I usually chunk up pork bellies, and grind them in, at a rate of 1:4 (four pounds venison to one of pork belly).

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk