Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

POSSIBLE "The Hunting Public" workshop in Central Ohio

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've been emailing back and forth with the guys from "The Hunting Public" about coming to Centerburg, OH for a scouting workshop. They posted something on Facebook about looking for places to do this and I offered a place. So far we're just working out details and seeing if we can get enough interest on both ends but looks like it might happen. It would be at the Conservation Club.

Basically what they want to do is have a meet and greet with everyone that signs up for the work shop one evening for a few hours then scout with the group the next day. Talk about strategies, stand locations, how the deer are using the property etc. Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun and informative. The cost will be $250 per person and a group rate of $600 for up to 4 people. I believe they are trying to keep the workshop around 20 people. All the money goes to them.

Would anybody here be interested?

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
$250 to scout ground you likely would never hunt? Ouch.

You come too and I'll let you hunt it a couple times next season!

I think it's more about learning their methods and then applying that knowledge wherever you do hunt. It'd be very useful to a newb like me but as an added bonus I actually do get to hunt there.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I’m not sure what a good price is for something like this but it seemed reasonable to me.

The email said 12-20 people. If a few come in groups and there aren’t twenty people, then minus expenses and split a few ways I don’t think they’re gonna get rich doing a few of these.

Four of you get together it’s 150 each.

And there’s Bud Light after.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hell, there's a ton of guys here that would do this for free. I offered to do this last spring at our farm and very well may do it again now that we've moved. I'm not famous, but I can wander the woods and talk hunting with the best of them.

Yeah but there's no arguing that these guys have a knack for finding and killing good bucks on pressured public land. Even when they were on Chasing November they often chose to hunt public over their private parcels because they knew of a dandy out there, and they succeeded in killing him. There's something to be said for that. I'd pay to learn a thing or two from these guys before i'd give the manacured deer mecca Drurys or lakowskis a dime for advice on killing fair chase deer.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I love their show more than any other that I've ever watched. But there's no way I'd pay $250 to follow them around and hear them say things most of us already know. Great guys to hang out with I'm sure. And for a new deer hunter I'm sure a workshop like this would be extremely beneficial. I'm not saying I know everything there is to know... Just that this wouldn't be for me.

Yeah but there's no arguing that these guys have a knack for finding and killing good bucks on pressured public land. Even when they were on Chasing November they often chose to hunt public over their private parcels because they knew of a dandy out there, and they succeeded in killing him. There's something to be said for that. I'd pay to learn a thing or two from these guys before i'd give the manacured deer mecca Drurys or lakowskis a dime for advice on killing fair chase deer.

Yes, they get in range of a lot of good bucks and kill a bunch too. But let's be real, most of the public ground they are hunting is in Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc... states with a lower hunter density than Ohio. The guys say it themselves on their channel. They come to Ohio for a week and they don't do any better than any other Tom, Dick, or Harry... They flat out said they would shoot the first 120 incher because hunting public in Ohio isn't like hunting public in Iowa. These guys are great deer hunters, no doubt about it. But they haven't discovered some magical secret code to killing good bucks. They simply hunt more aggressive, hunt more often, and hunt deeper than your average deer hunter. Plenty of members on this site would get footage and in bow range of multiple good public land bucks too if they hunted every day for 45+ days, with a network of buddies throughout the midwest.

I love their show more than any other that I've ever watched. But there's no way I'd pay $250 to follow them around and hear them say things most of us already know. Great guys to hang out with I'm sure. And for a new deer hunter I'm sure a workshop like this would be extremely beneficial. I'm not saying I know everything there is to know... Just that this wouldn't be for me.

Yes, they get in range of a lot of good bucks and kill a bunch too. But let's be real, most of the public ground they are hunting is in Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc... states with a lower hunter density than Ohio. The guys say it themselves on their channel. They come to Ohio for a week and they don't do any better than any other Tom, Dick, or Harry... They flat out said they would shoot the first 120 incher because hunting public in Ohio isn't like hunting public in Iowa. These guys are great deer hunters, no doubt about it. But they haven't discovered some magical secret code to killing good bucks. They simply hunt more aggressive, hunt more often, and hunt deeper than your average deer hunter. Plenty of members on this site would get footage and in bow range of multiple good public land bucks too if they hunted every day for 45+ days, with a network of buddies throughout the midwest.
Bravo! Speak the truth!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I'd say this is a big portion of it. Not sure if any (or maybe all) of them have jobs? I love their show. I don't doubt they are good hunters. Their shows prove they are woods savvy. Good networking, hardcore hunting, and the ability to get after it daily is the key to their successes. If our members had the time and money to hunt day in and day out for 30-45 days I don't doubt many of them would have similar successes. I don't know if they are getting rich though. I suspect this creative way of generating income helps them do what they do. I'd rather see them doing something like this than whore themselves like some of the TV "hunters." That said. . . they aren't getting any of my money. :p

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

I don't disagree with your statements, but I also know everybody can learn something from somebody. If the recipe to their success was as easy as you say then everyone would be doing it. A walk through the deer and turkey expo shows that there's plenty of them that try every year, and 99% of them arent back the next year. How people spend their money is their business but I'm willing to bet people would get far more out of this than by reading rehashed North American Whitetail articles that have been reworded 50 different ways, or listening to the Drurys talk about hunting their manicured plots.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It would be an entertaining day. I like those guys. I’ve watched the vast majority of their YouTube shows. To me, the only difference in their rehashed material and the rehashed material in NAW magazine is the type of media. I have yet to see a technique or method on their videos that at some point I’ve not used or read about. Then again, as much as it pains me to say, I’ve played this game for a very long time. Like Jim, it isn’t an investment for me. However, for a fella that hasn’t had the good fortune of going through as much of the learning process, it could be an investment to greatly shorten the learning curve. To me, the real joy of anything outdoors is in the learning. Not necessarily having done “it”, but having another trick in the bag to try. Heck, I killed five deer with a bow before I owned a tree stand. Knowing a few successful bow hunters back then that hunted exclusively from trees, I thought if I could just get 20 feet off the ground I’d be on the road to killing monster bucks. The first deer I had walk UNDER me was absolutely thrilling. Conversely, the first deer Mason had at ten yards while sitting on the ground blew his young mind... and he shot it. Lol. The point being, people only know what they have experienced. A day with these guys would be a great investment for folks who haven’t done it all. Example; Ric, Ron, Brian, and Rick could hold the HP fellas spellbound with their knowledge, others too. The HP fellas could not do the same to them. For every story they would tell, one of the guys mentioned would reply, “yeah that reminds me of a time”... lol. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the HP guys. They are learning and sharing as they go. It’s great! A fantastic investment for some, not so much for everyone. Imagine being a guy late to the sport.... how better to learn a lot in a short amount of time?
Good luck putting it together!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
FWIW, any of you waterfowl killers ever put on a school, I’m in. I’ve never hunted them, know nothing about them, but gotta sort that out before I go to the grave.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
FWIW, any of you waterfowl killers ever put on a school, I’m in. I’ve never hunted them, know nothing about them, but gotta sort that out before I go to the grave.

You must love throwing money away. My understanding is this is an expensive addiction. Maybe just a glutton for punishment? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I look forward to following along as you buy another dog or two and get into waterfowl, Brock!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't disagree with your statements, but I also know everybody can learn something from somebody. If the recipe to their success was as easy as you say then everyone would be doing it. A walk through the deer and turkey expo shows that there's plenty of them that try every year, and 99% of them arent back the next year. How people spend their money is their business but I'm willing to bet people would get far more out of this than by reading rehashed North American Whitetail articles that have been reworded 50 different ways, or listening to the Drurys talk about hunting their manicured plots.
I never said what they do is easy. They hunt hard and they hunt often, more often than 90% of people I'd bet. There's nothing easy about that. Very few people are hunting deer for a living like these guys. They hunt choice ground and they hunt every single day.
Stay away, Brock... Stay very far away! 😂 It will consume you.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I never said what they do is easy. They hunt hard and they hunt often, more often than 90% of people I'd bet. There's nothing easy about that. Very few people are hunting deer for a living like these guys. They hunt choice ground and they hunt every single day.

Easy was the wrong word. I should have said "if it was as simple as you say then everyone would do it" It was in reference to this part of your statement.

They simply hunt more aggressive, hunt more often, and hunt deeper than your average deer hunter.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Effort and time come at a cost and some people are willing and/or able to sacrifice more than others. Skills and knowledge help, but on a level playing field, the cream which rises to the top are the ones who sacrifice the most effort and time. Simple, not easy, is right.

Fletch

Supporting Member
$250.00 to let some guys blow smoke up your ass about how to kill a deer on public ground??? Since we have our check books out, how about I sell you some swamp land or a bridge... First off I dont care who you are, if a piece of ground dont hold deer you can spend a week in a tree and not tag out... They have to be there to harvest them... The best pro-staffer knowledge in the world will not help you... With alot of time to hunt they bounce around to different public grounds and finally luck out.. If the grounds that deer was shot on was truly public... I dont know most of you but I bet I could hand pic a few off this site that I'd match up against these pro-staffers on the SAME piece of public ground and come out on top... Come on HUNTING HAS BECOME BIG BUSINESS... Now back to that bridge...

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Fletch

Supporting Member
One other thing.... You want to become a better deer hunter??? Spend a few days in the woods with a good trapper walking his trap line.. They will teach you alot more than you could imagine...That would be time well spent...