Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Posting private land as vacant landowner

Fletch

Supporting Member
I too am a non resident of Ohio and have been looking for property to purchase for hunting purposes... Looked at a few and after doing some research of the area and locals decided against them... Being a non resident land owner will always have issues with trespassers... So one of the best things you could do is work something out with a neighbor to keep an eye on things...I sure would sleep better knowing someone I know is occassionally hunting it then wondering if some local red necks are driving the shit out of it every day...

Johnny44

Maybe I’m just not that emotionally mature but why would I pay for someone else to use up my resource? This costs as much as our house did back in the day. There is public all over this area and the horse guy owns 40 (42 if you count his over fence) of his own ground. While he was forward and nice, he has also taken advantage of the lack of presence big time, and likes hunting which would pressure the property, pull from the herd and be entirely counter productive to my deer goals. I am respectful of others when I hunt public… but committed to this to have something better for myself and family.

I’m super nice and open minded. If someone text/call and said they needed access for tracking - no worries and would do/ask the same for myself. If someone put a stand on a property line to hunt mine- I’d destroy that area after an ignored polite ask. Maybe they only teach “the golden rule” in NY kindergarten classes.

Legitimately sorry for being emotionally spun up, but I’m sick to my stomach thinking of the input costs to have me back at hunting a shared property until I live there.
I don't think an apology is necessary. The amount of time and money put into our places, we want it to be right for ourselves when we get to enjoy it. This is what leads to shooting a BB out of frustration that yielded zero meat (personal experience). Fighting this same battle with some property in PA. Very little decency left in this world.

Reactions: Mike

bowhunter1023

Administrator
Staff member
Appalachia
We also own 80. Depending on how it hunts, it could more than enough to take Joe's approach and allow someone local to hunt it. I'm right next door in Washington County ;) Just kidding obviously, but allowing a good guard dog permission on 20-40 acres of the 80 for a couple of years while you prepare to move down there, could be helpful. And if you don't want to take that approach, be prepared to burn up the gas and I'd be there every other weekend making your presence felt. Not just weekends either, lunch time Tuesday, early Thursday, a Monday afternoon. Be unpredictable.

Bigcountry40

Why is it property lines are always where deer like to travel, seems like this is and will continue to be a problem for every single hunter in America- How close do you hunt, How much access do you allow your neighbors (while expecting the same access to recover in return), What do you do when the nieghbors 5 kids are constantly tracking deer on your property? A lot of grey area.

Reactions: Mike

Bigcountry40

We also own 80. Depending on how it hunts, it could more than enough to take Joe's approach and allow someone local to hunt it. I'm right next door in Washington County ;) Just kidding obviously, but allowing a good guard dog permission on 20-40 acres of the 80 for a couple of years while you prepare to move down there, could be helpful. And if you don't want to take that approach, be prepared to burn up the gas and I'd be there every other weekend making your presence felt. Not just weekends either, lunch time Tuesday, early Thursday, a Monday afternoon. Be unpredictable.
There also seems to be a strong correlation between unemployment and tresspassing, its hard to punish people that have nothing to lose.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It will be near 80 total.
(Not enough to share outside friends and family)

Any of those friends and family local and can act as a land manager? . You seem open to the fact of letting others hunt as long as they're friends and family. What I propose is letting someone do everything you can't do in exchange for permission, done right they can be a huge ally. That person can cut and maintain trails, fill feeaders, swap camera batteries, walk the property line, look for trespassers, rehang no trespassing signs that get torn down etc. That way when you and family show up to hunt everything is done, stands are hung, feeders filled, trails navicable, and it's all set up. They can be a far bigger help than they'll ever cause harm and actually improve your hunting over just letting the place sit.

PA (NY, MI, etc) are horrid. Didn’t think Ohio would be this way and apparently was wrong. Have had issues next to my house I’ve lived in for 25 yrs with some new city relocate “just huntin’”. Hence buying out of state- trying to get away from that chit.

Was trying to figure out if posted signs attract more attention and have found out - most anything gets pillaged. Had my first lease this yr- KY. Scouted it 3x, hunted 1.5 days and spent the second half of the second day with the sheriff over the trespassers who I caught trying to steal my stands the first day of gun. Our fraternity is rotten and will be ultimately what kills hunting.

Spent 3 yrs searching, so many trips, gallons of gas, offers, broken ideas, highs and lows. Gonna make this dream come true somehow, someway.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
PA (NY, MI, etc) are horrid. Didn’t think Ohio would be this way and apparently was wrong. Have had issues next to my house I’ve lived in for 25 yrs with some new city relocate “just huntin’”. Hence buying out of state- trying to get away from that chit.

Was trying to figure out if posted signs attract more attention and have found out - most anything gets pillaged. Had my first lease this yr- KY. Scouted it 3x, hunted 1.5 days and spent the second half of the second day with the sheriff over the trespassers who I caught trying to steal my stands the first day of gun. Our fraternity is rotten and will be ultimately what kills hunting.

Spent 3 yrs searching, so many trips, gallons of gas, offers, broken ideas, highs and lows. Gonna make this dream come true somehow, someway.

You'll get there buddy. It just takes persistence and a little bit of asshole sometimes.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I would definitely invest in metal signs…if not, you’ll be replacing them every year. Weather and people will take their toll. Since going to metal, I haven’t had to replace a single one. Placing them on wood instead of attaching the sign directly to the tree will help with the problem of the tree growing and pushing your signs off every few years.

These are the ones we have used here and I was referencing. We have issues with snow wearing the print off - but NY is a total pia for posting …
A1E6B785-F88F-4D31-93BE-C88EE2A879AC.jpeg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Have dealt with the Amish in Hillsboro and Ashtabula…figured the sins in Athens would keep them away.

A buddy in Belpre said he can keep an eye on the place. So some inroads there. I also called the Athens Co - Wildlife Officer - to have a chat with him.

Can’t let some ants ruin my picnic. Now i need to start a thread on how to get all of the 200”ers in the area. 😉
Gonna have to have them shipped in from Stark county.😂

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
When a fellas travels all over and fights all kinds of battles, maybe the other people aren't the problem.

• Haha
Reactions: tracker 6

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I'd be a hard ass dick from the get go. Post the shit out of it, tell your neighbors your stance, and let them know you'll prosecute with trail cam pics. At the same time, try to make allies where you can. But letting someone you don't know from Adam let hunt the place if he pinky promises he'll keep trespassers off is like allowing the fox watch then hen house. That's what I've done and the trespassing has dropped to zero....so far.

Last edited:
Ohio
Have dealt with the Amish in Hillsboro and Ashtabula…figured the sins in Athens would keep them away.

A buddy in Belpre said he can keep an eye on the place. So some inroads there. I also called the Athens Co - Wildlife Officer - to have a chat with him.

Can’t let some ants ruin my picnic. Now i need to start a thread on how to get all of the 200”ers in the area. 😉
I have one buddy that I can absolutely trust who hunts our property. He helps keep an eye on things because our two farms are a short drive away from each other. I have some other family who help around the farm and hunt during gun season. I absolutely understand how you feel about working so hard for something and then not wanting to share your spoils with people who may take advantage of the situation. That is one reason we have always struggled to give out permission. In the past when we did it always felt like we were taken advantage of. In the end I believe posting the property, cellular cams, your buddy watching over things, and your presence as often as possible will be the best options until you are able to build. Best of luck. This is a fun process, don’t let some asshats ruin it for you! It’s your slice of heaven and whatever you decide will be the right decision.

Bighoun52

In the woods
Yeah I agree with some of the comments. My family is lucky enough to own a good bit of land in pa, oh, and Illinios. The only way you keep people off is to have zero tolerance. No permission for any reason. If a deer is hit and comes acrossed a line you have to be there to follow with the hunter, ect. It’s not the way that makes ya feel good but it’s the way that works.