Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Posting private land as vacant landowner

Fletch

Supporting Member
One of the farms we leased in Illinois has an elderly couple living on it with their son... The son has hunted in the past, but hardly goes out anymore... I have told him several times if he wants to hunt second gun season when we are gone, your more than welcome... In 8 years he never has and with all the cameras we have running we keep good tabs on the property...

Funny story... 3 years ago I got several pics of the old guy picking morels in May on 2 cell cameras... So that Aug. we are out there to do some work... As we approach their driveway him and his wife are pulling out... So we stop to chat and I asked him how morel picking was... He responded: How you know I pic morels??? I responded: Cause I got your pics twice, and pulled out my cell phone and showed him his pic... His response was: ILL BE DAMNED.... With that I said: AND ABOUT A MONTH LATER I GOT A PIC OF YOU AND YOUR WIFE WALKING HAND IN HAND... BUT THAT WAS WHEN SHE HAD BLONDE HAIR... THE LOOK SHE GAVE HIM WAS PRICELESS.... I then told her I was joking....

Last summer we were out there again doing work and I had a different truck than usual... I pulled in a long a hedge row next to the soy bean field... I saw the lady drive by and promptly back up... Shortly after my phone rang and it was her calling to inform me there was a truck parked that she didn't recognize...I told her it was me, but thanks for the heads up..

Every year while out there I buy them a turkey for Thanksgiving and on occasion have given the old guy a $100 bill and said take your wife out to dinner... Being nice goes along ways...And to this day she always busts me about her hair color....

Ordered 100 signs (extras of course) and have spoke with another Wildlife Officer in the area. May bring some fence down to close off the neighbors tractor path on to this piece based on how the conversation goes on his fence and the property line. Gave my buddy in Belpre access for turkeys and coyotes if he pops in on occasion when working in Athens. We chatted a little on some deer access if I decide to run feeders or plots. So it’s coming together.

I haven’t formulated the exact conversation on the fence… but would suspect he won’t be nice which makes the horse and other access denial all the easier. Can’t fake trust and that’s an easy regret to let trust a fox. Will follow up w a legal letter. If for some reason he’s cordial… then the conversation can continue to which I will explicitly share my concerns, rational for not sharing and means of protection and zero tolerance to which he can share his thoughts.

You know I have feared that but also believe times have changed. I can cause them grief too. Personally, I think legal involvement takes the amateurs out of the game. Again- this is going to be a rigorous amount of sweat equity and payment… my commitment is already greater than a sneak or corn&hopes line sitter.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Neighbors suck! It’s great to get along with them but by being absent it’s going to be a nightmare. Once you get located there you will still have issues. That’s just the cold hard truth and I know it sucks.
Boy.... No truer words spoken... Esp. when it comes down to hunting, esp. deer... They bring out the worst in everyone...

Johnny44

Something to add from my previous post now that I see people talking about permissions - We have a family, that has been friends for generations, that have land attached to ours and are VERY local. They check on the house, watch the land, and extend us permission on their land. They are the nicest people on the face of the earth. They've even gone as far as to have some "man to man" talks with one guy who just didn't seem to understand to stay TF off our land. Having local eyes, especially someone who is equally invested, goes such a long way. While we still deal with trespassers at times, this family goes above and beyond for us. But they are the exception, not the rule. As I said, the relationship dates back a hundred years. I'd do the same for them if needed. You don't find that often. I hope to see them this weekend.

Fletch

Supporting Member
This thread keeps on chugging along... This year while out hunting in Illinois I came out one night to a note on my windshield... It was a neighbor on the back side of the property... Evidently he just bought it this year... Evidently he hit a buck and it jumped the fence onto our property... He wanted permission to follow it... I called him back and said sure go for it... Thought that was a good move on his part...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I leased a place in Champaign county years ago and parked on the corner of the property along the road as that's where the access path was. On my second hunt I come out to a note on my truck that said something to the effect of. "You're trespassing, this is your only warning to stay off this property," I called the landowner and he had no idea. As I was sitting there trying to figure it out a guy pulled up and got out of his truck walking towards me like he wanted to scrap. His body language had made my mind up that I was gonna hit this fucker as soon as he got close enough. He stopped short and started yelling, I yelled back in choice words and told him I leased the land from the landowner. Instantly his body language changed and he became friendly. Turns out it was the neighbor. It also turns out that he had been hunting it for years himself. 😅. He apologized for being an ass and said he'd had a huge problem with trespassers. I wanted to ask him how they were any better than him trespassing but since he calmed down I wasn't about to get him spun up again. I told him I had cameras and stands out and would appreciate it if he stopped hunting it. He agreed, bitched a little about leasing, but he didn't hunt it to my knowledge.

It further turns out that he and the landowner didn't get along, the landowner knew this guy was slipping in hunting. The landowner got tired of dealing with him and leased it so someone who would hunt it and make sure the neighbor couldn't hunt. Ole boy used me to keep the guy off the property and made money on the deal. 😅

Fletch

Supporting Member
Apple pie is about the only good thing to come from the northeast. Lol
Damn boy... There's a ton of great food in the Northeast other than apple pie... I'm from Jersey and it's hard to top some of the pizzas in Jersey... People suck, but some good eateries around ... Some out of this world rodizos,, that's where they cook the meats on a skewer and bring it out and slice it on your plate.... Then 5 minutes later they are back with something else.... KEEP COMMING TILL YOU SAY: " ENOUGH ".... I usually go very hungry.... Look at Srg. Furry.... He's been there many times..... But..... I HEAR BROCK MAKES A HELLAVA PIZZA... Going to have to drop in one day on him....

Stressless

Keene, OH
Neighbors suck! It’s great to get along with them but by being absent it’s going to be a nightmare. Once you get located there you will still have issues. That’s just the cold hard truth and I know it sucks.
Dunno on that one... unfortunately, "it depends" comes into play. When I started managing the property in 2013 I made it point to lookup my adjoining neighbors, the saying, "Why have enemies when you can have friends" comes to mind. Two of four I keep in regular contact, one is now a close friend and hunting sensi.

On posting land, if you pay taxes its relevant, the CAUV program in OH requires you to mark your boundaries every so many feet, every so many years. There is a great thread AT1010 did on EQIP and some other programs but the CAUV let's you pay AG taxes on the land.

You need to create or have done the 10 year Forestry Management Plan( I think they changed that name) but that'll let pay substantially less tax to the man while marking your borders. I think OH came into the fold of purple being used for No Trespass and Forestry borders... I have to do both in 2025, update my mgt plan and redo borders. Something to look into. The Program is managed under the NCRS office in each OH county.

Last edited:
Dunno on that one... unfortunately, "it depends" comes into play. When I started managing the property in 2013 I made it point to lookup my adjoining neighbors, the saying, "Why have enemies when you can have friends" comes to mind. Two of four I keep in regular contact, one is now a close friend and hunting sensi.

On posting land, if you pay taxes its relevant, the CAUV program in OH requires you to mark your boundaries every so many feet, every so many years. There is a great thread AT1010 did on EQIP and some other programs but the CAUV let's you pay AG taxes on the land.

You need to create or have done the 10 year Forestry Management Plan( I think they changed that name) but that'll let pay substantially less tax to the man while marking your borders. I think OH came into the fold of purple being used for No Trespass and Forestry borders... I have to do both in 2025, update my mgt plan and redo borders. Something to look into. The Program is managed under the NCRS office in each OH county.
I have the county forester coming out at the end of January (earliest he had). Super excited and thank you, and a couple others, for this suggestion. All about saving tax dollars but have both ends of the woody spectrum with lots of invasive and closed canopy mature woods. The diversity rocks but some balance appears necessary as the thick is too thick and the open is too open.
Thanks again.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Here's the thread with quite a bit of good info in it wrt programs.

https://theohiooutdoors.com/threads/tsi-forestry-equip.27531/#post-789369

I got the State Forester for the county -and- the state Private Lands Biologist agent to come out and present both their plans, with expected outcomes. Where their advice overlapped is where I put my sweat and $.

Private lands Biologist link -> https://ohiodnr.gov/discover-and-le...ife/wildlife-contacts/private-lands-biologist

Good luck! ... and it's not luck if you're lucky.

Last edited:

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I have the county forester coming out at the end of January (earliest he had). Super excited and thank you, and a couple others, for this suggestion. All about saving tax dollars but have both ends of the woody spectrum with lots of invasive and closed canopy mature woods. The diversity rocks but some balance appears necessary as the thick is too thick and the open is too open.
Thanks again.
Is your guy named Cameron? He's the dude that drew up our plans based on our goals. Gives you a 50% cut in taxes. Managing isn't overly difficult. Well worth it.

Thank you so much Stressless. I will definitely reach out to the biologist as well.

yes- Cameron Bushong. Someone posted his info in another thread. Seemed like a decent guy.

There has been some super helpful advice provided on this forum. I appreciate it all. Have ghosted this place for 15 or so years as I hunted public and permission properties… I’m guessing we all know why I’m elated to own, and eventually move here

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Thank you so much Stressless. I will definitely reach out to the biologist as well.

yes- Cameron Bushong. Someone posted his info in another thread. Seemed like a decent guy.

There has been some super helpful advice provided on this forum. I appreciate it all. Have ghosted this place for 15 or so years as I hunted public and permission properties… I’m guessing we all know why I’m elated to own, and eventually move here
He's young but very knowledgeable. What a job right? He walked almost every acre with us and even taught my wife a lot and she's a naturalist! He really enjoys what he does and won't leave you until all of your questions are asked. The portfolio he draws up is pretty darn cool.