Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Predator hunting competition

matt hougan

Dayton area
A freind and I are in the infancy stages of organizing a predator hunting competition as a fund raising effort for Heart of the Outdoors Ministry, in Mainville, Ohio.

We are looking at next February, one day hunt. Two man teams. Meet at a eatery on a Friday night so we can go over the rules. The hunt takes place Saturday with a check in time of 2:00 or so. Meet back at a banquet hall for awards ceremony, silent auctions, dinner, guest speaker etc.

I am thinking of two divisions, mouth callers and unlimited with electronic callers and motion decoys etc.

If you guys were to participate in such an event give me some ideas on things like rules, prizes, most animals, heaviest animal etc.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Sounds like a great way to raise money for a great cause, but I'm not sure I have much to offer here in terms of rules and what not. I think giving a prize for biggest and most makes sense. Also, prizes should be geared towards the crowd supporting you, so calls and the like would make perfect prizes.

Good luck Matt!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like the idea, Matt... I definitely think it would gain some attention and contribute considerably to a great cause. My only question is, what land will be hunted (private or public) and who will be providing access to this land (if private)? If you have a significant turn-out, your're going to need a buttload of land for these guys to disperse on.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I used to frequent a forum called Predator Masters. They ran a contest at Land Between the Lakes in, I believe, Kentucky and Tennessee. Everyone camped there for the weekend and hunted certain hours.

I guess my point is, if you want to bring guys in then it has to be somewhere near state or national land.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to frequent a forum called Predator Masters. They ran a contest at Land Between the Lakes in, I believe, Kentucky and Tennessee. Everyone camped there for the weekend and hunted certain hours.

I guess my point is, if you want to bring guys in then it has to be somewhere near state or national land.

Yea this is what I'm thinking also. What are the chances you get a big turn out of guys that ALL have hunting permission on farms nearby??? You might get a dozen or so teams... But really, how effective would that be for a fundraiser? I'm not trying to criticize... Just trying to figure out how this is going to work.

matt hougan

Dayton area
We are thinking about two man teams at $100 a team. That gets you into the contest and the banquet dinner. We would get together at restaurant on Friday evening and go over the rules. Hunting would begin 0800 on Saturday and most likely end at check in time early Sunday afternoon. That would encourage folks to be able to hunt even several hours away. Within an hours drive you have Wayne, Meade, and numerous state parks. We will be soliciting donations for prizes for the winners as well as silent auction and door prize and raffle items. I will be looking for guns, camo, decoys, calls, taxidermy services, guided hunts, sporting event tickets, ammunition, general hunting items, art, etc.

Winners would be celebrated at the banquet on Sunday evening.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We are thinking about two man teams at $100 a team. That gets you into the contest and the banquet dinner. We would get together at restaurant on Friday evening and go over the rules. Hunting would begin 0800 on Saturday and most likely end at check in time early Sunday afternoon. That would encourage folks to be able to hunt even several hours away. Within an hours drive you have Wayne, Meade, and numerous state parks. We will be soliciting donations for prizes for the winners as well as silent auction and door prize and raffle items. I will be looking for guns, camo, decoys, calls, taxidermy services, guided hunts, sporting event tickets, ammunition, general hunting items, art, etc.

Winners would be celebrated at the banquet on Sunday evening.

I think you're right... Having an entry fee of $100 or more will weed out a lot of not-so-serious coyote hunters, and guys will be willing to travel a bit for that kind of money.