Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pressure canner

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So is this unit suitable for a first time canner, or should I try to find something more upscale?
0909211303.jpg

@Jamie
@bowhunter1023
@Jackalope

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I'm just talking about the Mirro pot - good brand?
I don't see a gauge on it - aren't they supposed to have dial gauges?

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20210909_134025.jpg

This is what I use Dan. I can get 7 regular canning quart jars in it at a time, or stank them if need be, but I generally do that, up to14 smaller ones at a time. It works great and you can easily seal the top securely, just in case. I started doing this after following @Jamie lead. The meat turns out awesome and I still have been eating some from two seasons ago. Just heat it up by emptying into fryer pan or microwave in minutes, and put it in or on whatever you want. Yummy!

Good luck in finding one!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoetsTalon

Jamie

Ohio
Dan, how much you spend on a canner should probably be proportional to how much you are going to use it. If you are going to use it once a year or less, I would get one of the cheaper ones. they will do the job. Now, if you are planning to do lots of canning, want to pass it down to your children's children's children, then don't fuck around with a cheap one. Get an All American if you can afford it. no seal to worry about, accurate gauges, heavy freakin' duty. will last 10 lifetimes if cared for. I have two, and would never have another kind after using these for several years.

also, you can find some really great vintage pressure canners on Ebay really cheap. my first pressure canner, which I still have and use, is a Ward's 19 circa 1950's. I got it for 10 bucks, replaced the pressure gauge and some knobs and it is fully functional and safe. total of $75 in that one.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I want to can venison this year. If it goes well, then might try some garden stuff next year. Beans and tomatoes.
We've had some success doing pickles and jams, but need a pressure canner to do meats.
And quite frankly, I'm thinking if it all goes to shit this would be a valuable tool/resource.

I've been using ground venison mixed with veggies for my lunches; I'd like to can some stew chunks to do the same.
Gonna make it happen.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
To add on to this: I've not really noticed any difference by adding bouillon cubes to each jar. You get some flavor but not enough to warrant doing it. I do like to do about a half teaspoon of canning salt in each jar.
And make sure to use a half cup of white vinegar in your pot when you add the water. It'll keep your jars from turning cloudy

Reactions: Isaacorps and giles