Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Purple Martin Houses

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Anyone running any? Been thinking about this and may start acting on it. Any tips on what too do or not too do?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Everything you would need can be found at TroyerGourds.com. This book is also very helpful.

5318CFE2-6CE7-49E7-9085-CDC9B98D11BE.jpeg
Purple Martins are really cool. That being said, it is a fair amount of work to keep a nesting colony happy and well cared for.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Everything you would need can be found at TroyerGourds.com. This book is also very helpful.

View attachment 156025Purple Martins are really cool. That being said, it is a fair amount of work to keep a nesting colony happy and well cared for.
I’m gathering the whole process of keeping “birds happy” 😂 But if the benefits outweigh the labor, it’ll be worth it.

Reactions: Big_Holla

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I’ve been trying for 2 years with marginal success. I have competition though as one neighbor already had 3 Martin houses behind their house right next to their big pond for 15 years. Fira year I put it out too soon(4/1) and 3-5 families of other species of birds took up residence before the Martins arrived. This year I held off to 5/1 and still had blue birds and warblers or wrens come but do have 1 pair that comes and goes. Next spring I’ll put up the house later in May when I see my first pair flying around.

Reactions: Sgt Fury and "J"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That’s our problem currently Ric. Too many species around and they all wanna build in every nook and cranny…. I literally have too look in my boots that I keep in the garage for nesting material….

Stressless

Keene, OH
So I may not be the right one as I've been trying for 20 years, off and on, to get nesting pairs and last year was my first year with 2 nesting pairs in a 18 next house. It's on a bayou and there were other houses up and nesting pairs in them.
This year was ... glorious. 6-8 nesting pairs and many yoy when we got back from CO. They are roosting in it at night as well so I hope to get double digit nesting paris next year.

20220626_100412.jpg

I put a box up on the pond at the farm in OH 2 years ago and year 1, nothing so I cut about 1/4 acre of woods down - moved the canopy back from the house year 2 - nadda as well. I also added two decoys as well... I didn't see any purple martin activity.

On both I use a telescoping pole to lower and raise the house.

20210611_124839.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
So I may not be the right one as I've been trying for 20 years, off and on, to get nesting pairs and last year was my first year with 2 nesting pairs in a 18 next house. It's on a bayou and there were other houses up and nesting pairs in them.
This year was ... glorious. 6-8 nesting pairs and many yoy when we got back from CO. They are roosting in it at night as well so I hope to get double digit nesting paris next year.

View attachment 156059

I put a box up on the pond at the farm in OH 2 years ago and year 1, nothing so I cut about 1/4 acre of woods down - moved the canopy back from the house year 2 - nadda as well. I also added two decoys as well... I didn't see any purple martin activity.

On both I use a telescoping pole to lower and raise the house.

View attachment 156060
We were looking at something similar too this and the telescopic pole also.

Reactions: Stressless

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I am fortunate, we have an abundance of purple martins. We thought about putting out nests but there is no need. We can watch them fly over our fields every day. Mowing the fields gets dangerous with them zig zagging around the tractor.