Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

QAD rest shooters -PLEASE READ

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I’m sort of getting tired of this BS so here is your public service announcement about how to set these rests up. This is probably the 15th of these I have fixed so enough of these hack shops not setting things up right. Follow the pics below. This is Clyde the Pointers bow. Not going to do the blame game on shops so don’t ask.
On these rest are two white lines that need to line up when your bow is drawn. The first two pics will show where the rest should be set at
CA5F73D3-B14C-440B-A152-8CCEE9FFD353.jpg

Unfortunately for this setup, for the lines to line up here is how much cam travel still needed to happen before it reached full draw
C1AB39FD-C946-4A2A-9172-2C224C5B1444.jpg. If you look between the two orange strings you will see a black lobe that is the draw stop.

Now once I get this bow to full draw here is how over drawn the rest is.
F49B4B81-CB20-4062-AA15-47F4BE278E85.jpg

This is unacceptable and WILL damage the internal components of the rest and cause real issues. If you look at the launcher you will see some white plastic wear marks. That’s fletching contact from an improperly set up rest that might be damaged internally. Now you need to educate yourself in these tie in rests and be sure your shop isn’t setting you up to fail off the bat.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
AND and update on this... emergency bow repair last night due to a derailed bow... new string just put in and first time pulling it back and boom... took me a while to figure out wtf happened... ended up concluding that the F’in QAD rest got tied in too tight and pulled the control cable off the cam! Ripped the draw stop off the cam ... client leaves Saturday morning for a Yukon moose hunt... I’m telling you please get yourself a vaportrail pro-v rest and take the stupid factor out of bow setups...there is a certain shop that is going to get a hell of a bill for new bow cams and string when he returns...

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
AND and update on this... emergency bow repair last night due to a derailed bow... new string just put in and first time pulling it back and boom... took me a while to figure out wtf happened... ended up concluding that the F’in QAD rest got tied in too tight and pulled the control cable off the cam! Ripped the draw stop off the cam ... client leaves Saturday morning for a Yukon moose hunt... I’m telling you please get yourself a vaportrail pro-v rest and take the stupid factor out of bow setups...there is a certain shop that is going to get a hell of a bill for new bow cams and string when he returns...
I need to look at this, I had new strings and limbs put on my old bow, first time I pulled back to shoot I noticed my peep didn't turn much at all and couldn't see through it. I let down and pulled back one more time and pow! The new string broke, but I think it derailed and that's what caused it to break.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What bow was this? If your shop doesn’t have or use a draw board, it’s probably set wrong. Also pulling it down from a chain isn’t good enough

Chass

The Hills
I have never encountered a damaged ripcord rest
Good to hear! When I got my bow I really had no idea of the brands and accessories since it was my first compound. The ripcord was the only drop away offered, and a younger guy which I doubt could even legally buy a beer set it up for me. He mentioned how they had to be set up just right to function properly and what to look out for that would tell me there was an issue.

Jonbot

Powell
I am new to this forum but have been an avid bow hunter in OH for over 20 years. I’m looking for someone who can tune by bow properly to fit me. I just bought a new Hoyt and use a QAD drop test and HHA sight. Please let me know if you tune bows or who you would recommend. Thanks

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I am new to this forum but have been an avid bow hunter in OH for over 20 years. I’m looking for someone who can tune by bow properly to fit me. I just bought a new Hoyt and use a QAD drop test and HHA sight. Please let me know if you tune bows or who you would recommend. Thanks

@Milo is your man. Plenty here have taken and even shipped bows to him. I would recommend taking it to him because he not only does a superb job but will show you what and why he did it as he's working.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Glad to have you. Jump in anywhere and feel free to post up some of your harvest pics, stories, or TC pictures.

Jonbot

Powell
@Milo is your man. Plenty here have taken and even shipped bows to him. I would recommend taking it to him because he not only does a superb job but will show you what and why he did it as he's working.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Glad to have you. Jump in anywhere and feel free to post up some of your harvest pics, stories, or TC pictures.
Thank you, looking forward to it and will do.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Welcome aboard, @Jonbot Enjoy this TOO site.