Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Quality crossbow 2

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
This is not spam!
As I age my eyes and shoulders are starting to fail me. I do not want to quit using a compound but eventually it will happen. I’m starting to really research different options and I know everyone has their opinions. I’m hoping to find someone here that has experience with different brands and can offer an honest, unbiased answer. But I would like to hear honest opinions from guys who are locked in to a certain brand.
1) I’m willing to pay whatever for the right piece of equipment.
2) I am a smaller guy in stature and not interested in carrying around something bulky. I have dealt with a few crossbows when the kids were young and they suck to tote around. I also hunt out of lock-ons so maneuverability in the tree is a must.
3) Accuracy and reliability are a must. I’m not interested in 100 yard shots but accuracy at a distance is not a bad thing. I’m more into getting close though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stressless

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’ve used Ten Point, Horton and Excalibur crossbows. All were/are extremely accurate. Excalibur has less moving parts and some models have short wing spans so maneuverability in a tree stand would not be a problem. Ten Point has crossbows that can be cranked back silently and also have models with short wing spans. The ten point is so accurate that you’ll have to shoot at different spots at 20 yards or you’ll damage your bolts with each successive shot. I’d go to a dealer and handle a few to see which one you like best. Weight, width and length are different between the models but they all shoot great, so just go with the one that feels best.

Reactions: Spencie and "J"

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I carried an Excalibur a few days this past January. Very accurate and fast but I really didn’t enjoy the size of it at all.
When I said I’m willing to pay for quality I’m not talking about paying $3k for one. I probably will never shoot at a deer with it anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: hickslawns

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
No I didn’t. I will research that one. Honestly the one I used I couldn’t cock. My arms are too short I guess. I said right then Excalibur wasn’t the brand for me.

NAC1989

Clark county
I carried an Excalibur a few days this past January. Very accurate and fast but I really didn’t enjoy the size of it at all.
When I said I’m willing to pay for quality I’m not talking about paying $3k for one. I probably will never shoot at a deer with it anyway.
I would say I’m locked into Excalibur. I bought the micro 335 in 2016 and then purchased the grizzly model used from a guy on Craigslist because I couldn’t pass up the deal. Maybe look into the micro models if you didn’t like the size of a full size Excalibur.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Mmmmm.. I think you left a "not" out.

But I would like to hear honest opinions from guys who are locked in to a certain brand

I bought a Barnett for my big brother when he had heart surgery, it was a stout (heavy) but accurate, I wouldn't recommend that brand now. It did the job but hits about every negative you list.

What I did find out is I really liked the Red Dot crossbow sight compared to the traditional fixed scope reticle - highly suggest mounting that to whatever you wind up with.

Reactions: Spencie

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I love Excalibur. Simple. Understanding how compounds of any style work, I know I would never trust one to sit idle and expect the same accuracy as the last time it was fired. I zeroed the Excalibur when I bought it for Mason many years ago. I guarantee I could walk to the barn, retrieve it, blow the dust off the scope and it will hit precisely where aimed right now. That’s the kind of reliability I like, cause I’m the kind of guy the bends, breaks and busts every thing I touch. I even dry fired the thing twice in one day and it is still in perfect working order.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I love Excalibur. Simple. Understanding how compounds of any style work, I know I would never trust one to sit idle and expect the same accuracy as the last time it was fired. I zeroed the Excalibur when I bought it for Mason many years ago. I guarantee I could walk to the barn, retrieve it, blow the dust off the scope and it will hit precisely where aimed right now. That’s the kind of reliability I like, cause I’m the kind of guy the bends, breaks and busts every thing I touch. I even dry fired the thing twice in one day and it is still in perfect working order.
Ok, let’s here that story 😂😂😂

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ok, let’s here that story 😂😂😂
Do you remember the story of the 160-170” 10 point we had at 20 yards for 11+minutes on opening weekend several years ago? Good spent the entire time trying to talk Mason into shooting him and he spent the entire time trying to get me to shoot. I wasn’t going to be the dad to shoot a big deer while hoping to video my kid shooting a big deer. He wasn’t going to be the kid to shoot a big deer when he was hoping to kill a giant. He did eventually take a hurried shot and went over his back and was happy he missed. I checked the camera a few days later and that deer was coming to the Apple pile we had out for “Tines”. He was showing up every day in daylight. I decided I’d go hunt him. I couldn’t move due to that stand now being fully exposed after losing leaves so I decided I’d take the crossbow. I was so excited knowing I was going to see that deer that when I went out to double check the zero, I forgot to put an arrow in. BONG. I called myself an idiot, cocked the crossbow and did it again!
FWIW, I did see that buck. I had sat motionless for hours. I couldn’t help but move, eventually, and as soon as I did I saw him looking at me from 35 yards. Watched him walk off, sadly. 😁

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
E808F3AF-5C49-407E-9F3E-20226F65D536.png

This one. Imagine being 14 and not wanting to kill this deer. Dang kid got stones. 😁
Edit: he was 12. Dang kid.

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
You need to shoot a Wicked Ridge M-370.
Wyvern Creations is the place to order from. 10 point locks down the prices... Wyvern will give you extra stuff... or no tax and free shipping.
Screenshot_20220402-211609_Chrome.jpg

We have one and Love It! About $550. Range. Find a bow shop and shoot one. If you like it tell them you'll be back on pay day and then go home and order it from Wyvern...🤣

Reactions: NWOHhunter
Ohio
My wife loves her ten point. My 6 year old shoots it pretty good too. It’s the turbo gt. Never had any issues and she’s hits bullseyes at 50 pretty consistently.

Reactions: xbowguy

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you remember the story of the 160-170” 10 point we had at 20 yards for 11+minutes on opening weekend several years ago? Good spent the entire time trying to talk Mason into shooting him and he spent the entire time trying to get me to shoot. I wasn’t going to be the dad to shoot a big deer while hoping to video my kid shooting a big deer. He wasn’t going to be the kid to shoot a big deer when he was hoping to kill a giant. He did eventually take a hurried shot and went over his back and was happy he missed. I checked the camera a few days later and that deer was coming to the Apple pile we had out for “Tines”. He was showing up every day in daylight. I decided I’d go hunt him. I couldn’t move due to that stand now being fully exposed after losing leaves so I decided I’d take the crossbow. I was so excited knowing I was going to see that deer that when I went out to double check the zero, I forgot to put an arrow in. BONG. I called myself an idiot, cocked the crossbow and did it again!
FWIW, I did see that buck. I had sat motionless for hours. I couldn’t help but move, eventually, and as soon as I did I saw him looking at me from 35 yards. Watched him walk off, sadly. 😁
Was that thing dry fired the weekend Garrett and I hunted with you guys? Or maybe you had just dry fired it and shared that story with me. I can't remember but I do recall shooting it. I think Garrett carried it the last hunt because we noticed delaminating limbs on his crossbow.

I second Excalibur. We ended up buying one for Garrett after having issues with his Horton. Not sure the model but it is basic. Stick, string, safety, and a trigger. Shoots around 315-320 fps if I remember right. Grizzly 320 maybe? Never messed with their micros.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Thanks for the responses fellas. I will take all of it under advisement. I have no intentions of not using a compound this year. A crossbow purchase will be a September thing if I can’t get it done with a bow. As of right now I don’t think I can hold a bow up. Hoping that’s just a temporary issue.

Reactions: "J"

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Thanks for the responses fellas. I will take all of it under advisement. I have no intentions of not using a compound this year. A crossbow purchase will be a September thing if I can’t get it done with a bow. As of right now I don’t think I can hold a bow up. Hoping that’s just a temporary issue.
I wouldn’t wait to the last minute…come September if you find out that you aren’t able to use a bow, you’ll be scrambling to get a crossbow right before the beginning of most states archery seasons, which may make some models scarce. If you know you will definitely be getting one, take your time and get as many different ones in your hands to see how they feel and shoot. You can always use your bow this year if you’re up to it, but if not, you will already have your crossbow and it’ll be sighted in and ready to go.

Reactions: Stressless