Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Red vs green

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Lights at night...

I had heard that red was better because it isnt as intense and coyotes do notice the red beam. I was told/read that green also works but it typically will scare off a predator.

Well saturday night i confirmed this. About 45 min after sunset i was running a coyote sequence through my caller. I scanned the edge of an open field with my light and BAM! sure as heck there was a coyote 200 yards on tbe edge of the woods. Holy crap do tbeir eyes light up...😀

Anyway just about as soon as the light hit him the yote trotted off. Im gonna get a red light today at the great american outdoor show in harrisburg.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't have any comparative experience with green as i always used a red lenses and tried to keep them on the edge of the light beam. If you don't shine it directly at them it helps tremendously. When scanning use only the bottom of the light at ground level. I found that i could also see their eyes better that way than in the direct bean.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I don't have any comparative experience with green as i always used a red lenses and tried to keep them on the edge of the light beam. If you don't shine it directly at them it helps tremendously. When scanning use only the bottom of the light at ground level. I found that i could also see their eyes better that way than in the direct bean.

Thanks, thats pretty much what i did. Tje bad thing is the light is on my rifle. When i put the crosshairs on the target it ,its illuminated full force.