Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Refurbished Shotgun

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Just completed doing work on my 23 year old deer shotgun. Now she’s good for another 20 plus years!

1995 12g 3" chamber Remington 870 Express Magnum Pump w/ a 22.5" Rifling Barrel & a Bushnell Trophy Bone Collectors Edition 3x9-40 Duplex Rifle Scope.

Last week I duracoated the action, pump & barrel. This week I refinished all the wood.

Before:

20180529_092734.jpg

After:
870MagExpress.jpg
20180711_152438.jpg

Product used to strip the old finish and gun oil that works really well.
20180710_081906.jpg

Just need to sight it in to complete it for this year's deer season and that's it!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
@Wildlife thanks! I may have to try that. I've got a gun in desperate need of a new finish.

Apply multiple thin coats and allow to dry completely between them. The reason I went this route for my shotgun is because It gets fairly abused during the late season weather/field conditions. I figured it would be easier to keep it up rather than the bluing solution. I do have products in stock to blue my other rifles that I intend on restoring back to their original state, but for this application, I went the easier and more convenient route. I think it turned out alright. I've cycled the action many times and the duracoat seems to hold thus far. Seems to be some tough stuff!

Good luck with yours!

Last edited: