Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington headed for Bankruptcy

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Make a shit product you end up out of business.... Gone are the days of Remington and quality in the same sentence....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Wow... Remington and Marlin were a household name back in the day. Like so many other companies, quality goes down hill and shortly after everything is in the shitter. Might wanna stock up on Accu-tips if our gun likes them, esp the Savage 220 guy's. Grab up those 3 inchers while you can.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Yeah they sure don't make them like this anymore! IMG_20170204_134952425.jpg

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Thanks yeah I have shown this pic before also but since we're talking Remington I'll show it again lol. This one was my Christmas present in 1978. Shot my 2015 deer with it.IMG_20161204_150612476.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The biggest problem beside reduction in quality is they lost a foothold on their flagship guns. Nobody really wants a Rem 700 when the consumer can get a quality savage rifle that is likely more accurate, has a better factory trigger, and costs less.

In the shotgun market nobody wants a high end 1100 or versamax when they can choose other guns like Stoger, Benelli, Fianci, etc. Even Weatherby has a quality autoloader now at the 600 mark.

Their pistols have always been crappy and could never compare with people like sig, Smith, etc.

Their low end rifles like 22s are getting beat out by Ruger, savage and even mossberg.

They even tried to jump in late on the flooded AR-15 market with the Rem-15 flop that was priced as much as a RockRiver. Just stupid.

They even tried to do the whole rebrand everything route, i remember one year almost every hunting accessory at walmart was remington brand. Knives, bow holders, even stands. They made a run at cornering the WM market with remington branded Chinese junk that Ameristep has been doing successfully for years. It must not have worked because it was just a year.

They've added a ton of debt over the years and haven't really shown a market niche to make the payments. The sad thing is they drug marlin down with them.

The biggest problem beside reduction in quality is they lost a foothold on their flagship guns. Nobody really wants a Rem 700 when the consumer can get a quality savage rifle that is likely more accurate, has a better factory trigger, and costs less.

In the shotgun market nobody wants a high end 1100 or versamax when they can choose other guns like Stoger, Benelli, Fianci, etc. Even Weatherby has a quality autoloader now at the 600 mark.

Their pistols have always been crappy and could never compare with people like sig, Smith, etc.

Their low end rifles like 22s are getting beat out by Ruger, savage and even mossberg.

They even tried to jump in late on the flooded AR-15 market with the Rem-15 flop that was priced as much as a RockRiver. Just stupid.

They even tried to do the whole rebrand everything route, i remember one year almost every hunting accessory at walmart was remington brand. Knives, bow holders, even stands. They made a run at cornering the WM market with remington branded Chinese junk that Ameristep has been doing successfully for years. It must not have worked because it was just a year.

They've added a ton of debt over the years and haven't really shown a market niche to make the payments. The sad thing is they drug marlin down with them.

Yes I think Savage with the accutrigger really put a hurting on Remington. Trump becoming President isn't helping the new gun market. People aren't feeling as strong as need to stockpile weapons.

antiqucycle

East Ohio
I would hope that current management would have been smart enough NOT to go to southern states to hire non union with no experience on how guns function.
Remington Mgmt probably wanted to get rid of Ilion NY and where in Conn Marlin was because they were unionized.
You just can't hire a $ 7 per hour burger flipper unless yoi have 30 yr employees tp teach the new hires.

I do hope they continue ammo manufacturing. I think we will see some Rem guns made in NY jump in price like the
"JM" Marlins

antiqucycle

East Ohio
One warning,
a warning, Benelli and franchie are quality guns. To mention Stoeger with them is a mistake since Stoeger is a importer from numerous foreign countries that are low quality sometime pot metal junk like the 22 cal lugers in the 70's. An auctioneer friend bought a o/u 20 ga stoeger the last gun show , the seller claimed it was made in Maryland.
I told the buyer it was made in Turkey or brazil. It was Brazil the some company named Boito who made s/s doubles that had dubious steel and firing pins that broke and you cannot find replacement parts.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Non union workers are just as skilled if not more so than union labor. The biggest reason is raises and promotions are largely tied to performance and improvement, not union contracted requirements. They also understand that if they suck they're gonna get shitcanned and a new person hired to take their job, unlike union grievance and firing issues that protect sub par workers. Its likely the best thing they could do for their business is to move south along with just about every other manufacturer that has left pro-union states in droves.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
One warning,
a warning, Benelli and franchie are quality guns. To mention Stoeger with them is a mistake since Stoeger is a importer from numerous foreign countries that are low quality sometime pot metal junk like the 22 cal lugers in the 70's. An auctioneer friend bought a o/u 20 ga stoeger the last gun show , the seller claimed it was made in Maryland.
I told the buyer it was made in Turkey or brazil. It was Brazil the some company named Boito who made s/s doubles that had dubious steel and firing pins that broke and you cannot find replacement parts.

They make a range of firearms from cheap to higher end. I have a Stoeger M3500 that i'll put up against any Benelli, mostly because its the exact same guts as a benelli, right diwn to chokes. The inertia bolt and parts are identical. The big difference is the benelli frame, is more streamlined and lighter. I wouldn't put a stoeger OU on the same plane as Benelli OU, more in the range of the Mossberg silver reserve, or Remington OU, and thats the market they targeted not the 1000+ ou market.

Gordo

Athens County

That makes sense. Fuggars just couldnt keep up with the game and got left in the dust.