Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Right or Wrong ?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
hpim1665.jpghpim1509-3[1] (3).jpgI am new to this site but have been crossbow hunting for over 30 years. I also happen to be a good friend of Finelyshedded's Twin. Again, I am new to this so bear with this Rookie Threadster...
While talking about Big Bucks with my Fiance, her Autistic son said "I'd like to kill me a deer". I looked at him and thought "Hell yea, what a challenge" I ran it past her and she said OK...But just how are you going to do that? After thinking of possiblities. I screwed a 2x4 across a small lean-to shed down back ~~ Next to 2 dandy oak trees. I then clamped the crossbow to the board very tightly with a carpenters clamp. A wedge was added for extra stability. The 3D deer targer was places at 15 yards and the mock hunt was on. I moved the bow around after each shot, but he nailed 3 kill shots out of 3. I then stapled camo netting over the opening and added 2 lawn chairs to sit in. His eyesight is lacking a little, so I have to get the deer to stop at a bait pile, get the red dot on the vitals, back off the bow and say shoot. First night out we shot over a doe's back, so I knew I would have to steady the bow better in the back as he gets excited and grabs it fairly rough. Second night out a 4 pt buck came in and he pulled on the bow a little but still spined him and dropped him in his tracks! The boy was hooked and changed his life immediately! Since then, we have upgraded to a camera tripod for better mobility. He has killed 4 bucks to date and 3 does. Soon as I figure out how to get the pics on here I will show you the last 2 bucks which are impressive! I recently had someone say "You just want to kill another buck" (Hopefully Jokingly) and it got me to wondering about this method. I had previously ran it past an ODNR official at a Motel in Findlay and he said as long as I am letting him do all he is capeable of doing, then take the boy hunting! Now, what I want to know is what the "Jury" thinks of all this? The buck in the snow was shot after 3 hours in a snowstorm...And the other is the buck he shot this year 11-17-2011

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I should have clarified that the remark about another buck came after I shot a 160 class 11 pt on the first evening of this season.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I think it's fantastic! Keep letting him hunt as long as he wants. You are a good man. Thanks for sharing this story with us.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I don't see a thing wrong with what you are doing. I think it is great you would put the time and the effort into helping a person out thats not able to do for themselves. You just don't see that much anymore.

RUT NUT

Awesome! I commend you for taking the time to get him in the woods and teach him how to hunt! Everyone deserves an equal opportunity no matter what!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats on getting a young man involved in deer hunting and learning the outdoors its a passion that we all love and when we spread it too our youth it makes us better people and the look on their faces are priceless.....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME... You sir are the epitome of what this sport should be about. Well done sir. well done.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not my place to judge. But since you asked. . . hahahah.

I think it is great. If you are doing it the way you say you are, then it sure doesn't sound like YOU are the one killing another buck. Sounds like the autistic guy is doing the killing. You are doing nothing more than putting in extra time to make someone happy. Sounds like a darn good thing!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Nothing to judge. It an outstanding thing you have done. Good for the both of you! :smiley_clap:

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I applaud you in your actions of mentoring someone that in a hobby that we love so dearly. I imagine that by you serving him like this the blessing come to you to. You have set the bar for many people to follow. :smiley_clap:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Thanks To Everyone Of You ! It has not been easy by far. I once tried to move the tripod for a better shot on a descent 8. He thought it was time to go, stood up. tripped over the stake-down blind. and rolled throught the woods as I watched the familiar white flag headded for the next zip code ! He jumped up saying he was sorry.....but I realized what was happening, I just said there was no reason to be sory, it's time to go. All the while wanting to bang my head on every tree I walked past!...LOL.... The Boy Dearly Loves Going Deer Hunting ~~ Thanks Again To ALL !

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Wow, he has put some great bone on the ground already, tell him congrats. This sport needs alot more people like yourself in it. Welcome to TOO, I look forward to seeing more pics of great bucks your stepson takes....