Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Roof?

Bowkills

Nw oh
5/8 or 3/4. Only 6 hundred $ give or take for 3/4. 2ft oc trusses 5/12 pitch. No ? For me to prevent sag, but thats a hefty amount of weight on toothpick 2x4 trusses. 33ft span. Any input here?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shingles or metal going on there? I agree. That is a big weight difference. I wouldn't go any less than 5/8 but just don't know if 3/4 is necessary. Hopefully someone with more background chimes in.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Design build as we go. Pricing stuff as we go. We want metal but shingals are fine either way it wont get done until spring/summer just water shield for now. Im leaning toward 3/4 its only 500 more and will call the truss company as i cant find any specs on weight in their legal jargen provided. Just leery of a big weight difference.

Reactions: hickslawns

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’ve helped redo a few roofs where 5/8’s on 24” on center was used. Roofs were 25+ years old.
We had too make sure we put our weight on the trusses as the sheeting was bowed pretty bad.
Wasn’t a fan of the practice. From talking too people who’ve done the metal roofs, that’ll be my go to if I replace our roof. Have yet to hear anything negative from the owners.

Sauger

Warsaw
3/4 is a lot of weight on a truss. And to be honest going 2' on center your going to sag over time with all of them with shingles. If that is your preferred covering I would drop my span on the trusses to 16" OC or even 19.2 (black diamond on tape) is better. Using metal you will be fine 2' OC with 1/2 or 5/8.

Reactions: "J"

Bowkills

Nw oh
Thanks for replys. Got votes for every thickness but sound advice. Availability and crazy price range is the deciding factor im finding out.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Talked to a few carpenters that wouldnt go any less than 5/8 reguadless of truss spacing. Spoke to an amish that sets trusses every week about getting a crew here for 1 day. he said anything up to 1 in is fine anything over 5/8 is overkill. Weeks out on getting 5/8 right now around here. So 3/4 and metal is what its getting.

mike hunt

3/4" is over kill, 1/2" would be fine, I would definitely use an OSB product over plywood, it lays a lot flatter, but then, what do I know?