Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ruger review?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
My wife is showing interest in getting her ccw. I have a ruger LC9 that I don't really use and offered to let her have it.
As we were poking around the sporting goods store today, a ruger SR22 caught her eye. She picked it up, handled it and liked the way it felt better than the 9. Anybody have any experience with the SR22? Good or bad. If it looks like it would be a better option for her, I might be looking to sell the LC9.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
A 22 is something everyone should have but with all due respect, I would never carry one for personal protection or self defense unless it was the only gun I owned.

It's great she has an interest and wish you both many happy hours of shooting together!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
A 22 is something everyone should have but with all due respect, I would never carry one for personal protection or self defense unless it was the only gun I owned.

It's great she has an interest and wish you both many happy hours of shooting together!

X2....

Dave have her handle some .380's that's what my wife shoots, she has the Bersa Thunder with Crimson laser grips...

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thats cool she wants to get her ccw Dave.
My wife and i just got our ccw,i bought her a smith and wesson 38 airweight and she loves it.
Dont think i would go with the 22 either for protection.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I bought the SR22 for my daughter, not as a carry piece, just as a pistol to have and practice with.
Love it. Great little gun.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Get her what she likes. Let her learn to shoot it, if it's the gun she picked she will shoot it more. Load it with CCI stingers (if it shoots them ok) to carry. As she gets more comfortable shooting hopefully she'll move into something bigger.

While far from my first choice I'm not completely opposed to a .22lr as a self-defense round. In the vast majority of self-defense situations the very presence of a gun is a deterrent, and when a gun is actually used any hit will slow down most perpetrators.

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Yeah... I had some concerns about the knock down potential of the .22, but a trade off would be the benefits of a couple extra rounds in the mag. The truth is, she liked the .22 because it was pink. I already have the LC9 on hand, I am going to encourage her to try it first and if she is fine with handling it, I can always get a gunskin, and make it whatever color she wants. If I do end up getting the .22 for her, I'd be willing to listen to any reasonable offer for the LC9, I could trade it in, but I'd be stuck with the holsters.