Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sandusky Bay

Took the family up for the last 5 days to the Bay. It didn't disappoint. We caught 126 fish between the cats and drum. Probably about 50/50 split. Weather was really hot so mainly just fished in the morning and then did other family things. One day the water was pretty rough and we only average 3 or 4 fish per hr. The best day we averaged 11 per hr. Drum were up to 12 lb with most being in the 7-9 lb range. Channel Cats were up to 16 lb with most being in the 8-12 lb range. I think we caught 7 or 8 that were from 12 to 16 lb. Definitely a great place to go if you want to get on fish especially with kids. Kinda wish the drum wasn't as plentiful as I think we could have caught more cats. Pretty much found out that if a rod didn't get hit in about 10 min that you better do a bait check. Chances are it got stripped when you were paying attention to another rod. Fished with several different baits, but cut shad was the best bait that we used.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like you guys had a great time up here. It’s a legit world class catfish fishery, and by and large is underutilized IMO.

Now that we’re getting close to July I think the sheephead are starting to spawn. That’s why you caught so many I bet. Next time try to come up a few weeks sooner and you’ll have a higher percentage of catfish. Likely bigger ones too.

Bigcountry40

A friend of mine wanted to take his son out catfishing and asked if I would take them on my boat. This picture is from about an half hour into fishing, I never cast a pole, to busy netting their fish
8A7841F1-CD9B-4697-BB45-66D2FF9E09F5.jpeg

Sounds like you guys had a great time up here. It’s a legit world class catfish fishery, and by and large is underutilized IMO.

Now that we’re getting close to July I think the sheephead are starting to spawn. That’s why you caught so many I bet. Next time try to come up a few weeks sooner and you’ll have a higher percentage of catfish. Likely bigger ones too.

With the kids with school this was the earliest that we could go. I would prefer to go in May.