Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Saugeye addicts?

Lucky

Sunbury
Any other anglers on TOO an addict of saugeyes? Been chasing these fish for last 15 yrs after catching some at alum while fishing for crappies using bobber and minnow. Since that day almost exclusively fish for them all yr long spring we slay them in spillways and coves then after spawn on main lakes after ice out when there feeding like crazy after spawn all summer on points and flats fall the jerk bait time comes wich can be incredibly fun when big ones slam your jerk bait then on the ice jigging for them in my opinion theres no fish as rewarding as them there extremly fun to catch and i believe better tasting than walleyes only fresh water fish that is as good maybe better is yellow perch of course but un like bass crappie cats saugeyes are more elusive they can humble you they dont follow any script if you havnt fished for them much u should odnr has made our lakes stuffed with saugeyes just curious how many other anglers on this site are addicted to this awesome fish.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Catch em on the Ohio River, not on purpose. They hit like a freight train and give it up afterwards....
Since they’re coming outta the river I don’t bring them home

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I like to catch em. I fish for them often in Rocky Fork. I’ve never gotten addicted per se, but I do take advantage of them when I can. You guys that fish for them all winter long are nuts. :)

Lucky

Sunbury
Ya they definatly hit like a freight train especialy the big females in the fall on jerk baits ohio river mite not b the place to eat them out of for sure alum and hoover and buckeye lake are clean enough ill b hopefully getting some this week out of alum spillway once they shut down the water. Winter time thru the ice is a blast . Love that

Reactions: Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have a buddy who gets pissed at me, I’ll send him pictures of the big ones and he’s wanting me to bring em home.... Nope not this guy 😂

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I get after them pretty hard on Indian Lake after the walleye run on the maumee. Usually late April/early May I start hammering them power trolling flicker shads. I do like to chase them in the fall when I tag my buck early. I did get some for a couple weeks last year in february from show in some channels during the warm up. These were some spillway eyes a buudy and I got early March last year. 7 of the 8 wers between 28-30". Small one went 25".
20180312_225811.jpg

Lucky

Sunbury
Nice thats what i like about spring spillway . Get some of the biggest ones u can get all year. Indian is the best lake or at least most heavily stocked. Dont Hit it as much since i have Alum and Hoover rite close. Hoover seems to be on a slight decline. Have mostly ice fished indian.. I too love it when i can tag out on my buck in fall , then spend time using jerk baits. Got my buck nov 10 then can concentrate on fishing . Those size fish like that give huge fillets.Nice stringer.

Lucky

Sunbury
i dont have pics of my last spring on this phone.But heres some of my brothers. This is the type of fish we get in spring that makes me look forward to it all year.Like Redhunter 1012 pics of monster eyes , spring can be the best
IMG_1618.jpg
IMG_4988.jpg