Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Set up 20 acres for me

Bowkills

Nw oh
If all goes well dream could become reality. House sounds like a go in the spring ground comes later but Stuff happens n a blink. Got any input on small property?
image.png
image.jpeg
Current situation and what we r trying to get. Got some ideas.
image.jpeg
Ive had a lush clover plot behind the woods but it doesn't do much so I'm letting it go into whatever cover is more important than food i my mind. I'm hoping to make borders and actually get some deer to stay here.

Reactions: Bighoun52

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Man that's exciting stuff! Happy for ya!

I think you pretty much know what to do. Cover is king. It doesn't matter what or how high quality a food source is... If the deer don't feel safe there, they won't use it in daylight hours. The best thing you can do for a small property is stay out of it as much as you possibly can. I know... It sounds easy... But just wait. We all get our rocks off trying to "tinker." Especially when it's a new piece of ground. How can we not get excited about playing with it?!? Do what you need to do to establish the habitat you want to see, then stay out as much as you can.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Man that's exciting stuff! Happy for ya!

I think you pretty much know what to do. Cover is king. It doesn't matter what or how high quality a food source is... If the deer don't feel safe there, they won't use it in daylight hours. The best thing you can do for a small property is stay out of it as much as you possibly can. I know... It sounds easy... But just wait. We all get our rocks off trying to "tinker." Especially when it's a new piece of ground. How can we not get excited about playing with it?!? Do what you need to do to establish the habitat you want to see, then stay out as much as you can.
thanks, I've been here 14yrs now and owned the woods for 7 or so the I completely understand the Tinkering. Getting access to the other parts would be a game changer in my mind. Lot of grass gets chopped and never grows tall and you can see through behind the pond and the wind can zip right through as well.

Fletch

Supporting Member
What does the surrounding properties look like as far as ajoining woods???? Maybe plant some tall switchgrass for cover...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What does the surrounding properties look like as far as ajoining woods???? Maybe plant some tall switchgrass for cover...

If I had to guess, corn, beans, winter wheat. Flat as a pancake. Can see several miles when leaves and crops off. I'll second cover. Or third. Or fourth. It's worth repeating. Cover and stay out.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
20 is not large enough to control anything but small enough to have fun playing with making it yours.
This was right along the lines I was thinking. 20 acres is just not enough in my mind to hold and keep deer, but it does look like the right place to turn into the local holiday inn for every deer for a couple square miles to come visit on a regular basis

Fletch

Supporting Member
20 acres all depends on location,location,location.... Next to a golf course or any chunk that hunting is prohibited or a connecting point for ajoining woods (funnel) would be great... 20 acres in the middle of wide open ag fields not so good...

Reactions: triple_duece

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.png
20 acres of good cover which I wouldn't call this good yet, it's better than a lot of ground here currently. Close to the road is a downfall but a border would make a world of difference for the road side. It'd make this the largest cover in the mile. human intrusion is number one , cover number 2, food is everywhere. Attracting more deer and having a few more beds here or there is what my goals is.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
How many farmers in your area are cover cropping?

If they arent, that is a biological dessert come harvest time. Solid cover and some good winter food - boy you will draw deer in big time!!

Bowkills

Nw oh
How many farmers in your area are cover cropping?

If they arent, that is a biological dessert come harvest time. Solid cover and some good winter food - boy you will draw deer in big time!!
it's becoming more popular, but human intrusion is king for holding deer. Food is still everywhere. Corn isn't hard to find in the picked fields.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
it's becoming more popular, but human intrusion is king for holding deer. Food is still everywhere. Corn isn't hard to find in the picked fields.

YAs others have said and you seem to have planned.

Cover is king.

I just would add the consideration of a winter time food source. If you can have low to no pressure, cover, and a clover/radish/rye grain plot - maybe with cell camera on it so you wait till a big buck is showing a pattern, then sneak it with perfect conditions - thats is an amazing combo.

Good luck. Looks like a bad ass spot!

Bowkills

Nw oh
YAs others have said and you seem to have planned.

Cover is king.

I just would add the consideration of a winter time food source. If you can have low to no pressure, cover, and a clover/radish/rye grain plot - maybe with cell camera on it so you wait till a big buck is showing a pattern, then sneak it with perfect conditions - thats is an amazing combo.

Good luck. Looks like a bad ass spot!
Thanks I'll have a mix of greens planted among young trees/grass as they get going. Maybe a small one by the house just for fun.

Reactions: giles and at1010

Sauger

Warsaw
If you would like thick and pretty fast growing cover, buy some young white pine and plant them every 6-8 feet apart. You would be amazed at how fast they grow and how much the deer use that. most co-ops sell them in the spring for less than a dollar a tree for a seedling. If you looking at food sources look for fast growing nut and fruit trees. Can never go wrong with them and most of them you can buy at TSC/Rual King for 20-40 bucks (4'-6' tree) and depending on what they are they can produce fruit in a couple of years of time planted

Reactions: Bowkills

Bowkills

Nw oh
Talking on this forum has changed my outlook on current goals with property and long term wealth/goals. Covid and the current skyrocketing building cost made a change of plans. We were going to swop my farming buddy acreage and start on a new house this spring. I've heard 30k dollar difference in lumber quotes from others in the same boat from pre covid quotes until now for a home with material. I'm going to just put on a nice big addition fix up this old 1887 home, bank my cash, and take every winter off the rest of my life(haha I hope). I still have plans and fine with going into debt with land but not a house.
image.jpeg
Currently digging high spots out of the crawl under my house to make it right. I'm currently 1st on the list for an excavator to come next month for footers. Here we go!!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm a little confused. Maybe I missed something. Do you own this property? Were you going to build a new home on your current property but decided to stay out? Is your current house the one you crossed out in the middle on the bottom of the pic?

Just trying to figure out if you are still making this your deer mecca or not. I don't care if you have a new or old house. I won't be living there. Lol. Just trying to figure out if you are still making the property your deer mecca or not.

Bowkills

Nw oh
I'm a little confused. Maybe I missed something. Do you own this property? Were you going to build a new home on your current property but decided to stay out? Is your current house the one you crossed out in the middle on the bottom of the pic?

Just trying to figure out if you are still making this your deer mecca or not. I don't care if you have a new or old house. I won't be living there. Lol. Just trying to figure out if you are still making the property your deer mecca or no
Not buying deer Mecca or new home. Posted this thread excited after speaking with the farmer friend. Was going to build in his field purchase ten acres convert my 2 acres back to farm ground.