Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Show from my North Dakota Hunt

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Since they played this episode on the Sportsman Channel last week I can post it here now for anyone that wants to watch it.

[video=vimeo;60520169]http://vimeo.com/60520169[/video]

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Thanks Zach and Mike he did show back up on camera and was shot by another hunter late season. I couldnt believe it when they sent me a trail camera pic of him.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Did you guys feel that deer was mature? Or was it more a matter of shooting something in velvet? Either way, it matters not to me.

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Jesse I know it was not a mature buck and in any of the other places that I hunt I wouldnt have even picked up my bow. But you cant shoot a really big mature buck if they arent there. I did want to shoot a velvet buck so that was a part of it, amount of time I had to hunt there played a part and that was one of the top 8 bucks he had on camera plus they wrecked any chances of shooting the buck I was after the night before going into a stand that should have only been hunted in the morning.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No judgement on my behalf Tom. I was just curious. After watching the video again, I am convinced you ran that arrow downt he outside of his rib cage. At one point it almost seems like you can see it along his side. Did they do much of an autopsy on it when they finally killed him?

Monster Raxx

Minnesota
Jesse I understand what you were saying and I was just giving where my head was on that hunt. You can see the arrow when he is turning in the field. They didnt look very hard and said they thought I hit him in the knuckle.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Nice shot on the doe...it seems like you kind of rushed the shot a little bit...too bad on the buck. That shot looked good, if it would have hit him an inch or 2 back with that quartering angle it should have buried behind his shoulder and penetrated better.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse I understand what you were saying and I was just giving where my head was on that hunt. You can see the arrow when he is turning in the field. They didnt look very hard and said they thought I hit him in the knuckle.

See to me, the arrow looks to have entered around the last rib. That is a thick, tough rib and at that angle with a two blade broadhead, I can easily see it impacting the rib sending it down the outside of the cage. If it stops the rotation of the arrow and the blade are parallel to the hide/cage, it causes little to no damage. Had I been the outfitter, I would have look him over as thoroughly a possible so I could learn from it and help others (i.e. You) learn as well. It sucks regardless of what happened and it happens to all of us. But it sure would have been nice to have gotten a complete explanation of what went down...