Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Skunk!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
What does skunk spray smell like when it hits a dog? Lola was obviously sprayed this morning but it smelled like a strong industrial chemical, not like skunk at all. I seemed to have washed it off, but we'll see later. I stink here sitting at work.

Jamie

Ohio
sort of pungent, but unbearable. I suppose it could be described as industrial. how did you wash it off?

Jamie

Ohio
the only thing that has really worked for us is making a paste from equal parts Dawn and baking soda to wash the affected area with. smear it on, rub it in, let it sit for a few minutes and rinse with water, followed by a rinse with white vinegar, then water to wash off the vinegar. if they get sprayed in the face and it gets in their ears, you'll smell it on them for weeks or months no matter how much you bathe them. it's all bad when your dog gets hit. good luck.

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
Happened to my aunt's dog one time. Shit, it stunk up the whole house. Put shitload of shampoo on it to wash it off. It helped but not much lol....took couple days.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
My two nephews got hit by one at the same time. One got it in the face, in mouth,, eyes, etc... They thought it was a rabbit in a junk pile when they were plinking with their recurves. It was so strong, it did smell very chemically and pungent

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
its nothing like how it smells when you just drive by them on the road. way more pungent. my dogs have been sprayed 3 times its like they dont learn. the last time we got some stuff from a pet store and it worked pretty well.

Reactions: Mike

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sounds like she took a direct hit at close range. When it's very concentrated it smells very chemically. It's not until it dissipates that you get the classic skunk aroma. The baking soda, fawn, and vinegar that Jamie mentioned is the one I hear the most success with.
Agree with this one. Wasn't my dog but it was my sister's lol. That dog caught it in the back yard and got nailed. Didn't smell like a skunk until the dog ran back in the house and started rolling on the floor. Took a week to get the smell out of the house.

Crazy but true fact. If your dog gets a direct hit in a small confined space it can actually kill them. Rare but it can happen. Just learned that a few weeks ago. I can't remember what the condition is called but it effects red blood cells and they can't carry oxygen anymore.

Reactions: djohn9713 and Mike

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I agree with Joe as well. When I shot that one in the live trap, it took a couple days for it to smell like classical skunk. It reminded me of burnt tires with a tinge of skunk, which is certainly chemical in nature. My dad made me go home and change not 10 minutes after I got to the office that day. I didn't even get sprayed, just opened the trap and dumped the body. Even after I went home, showered, changed and made it back to work an hour later, the office smelled like skunk! :ROFLMAO:

It was the one day I wasn't nervous about my dad smelling skunk on me...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Betty took a direct hit at close range to the chest before a duck hunt a few years ago. Half of it hit her in the neck and the other half hit her neoprene vest. It definitely smells different than what you smell when, say, driving past a dead skunk. Dawn dish soap, baking soda, and vinegar. We had to do it multiple times over consecutive days before she was even tolerable in the house. Even after that, you could smell skunk on her for months every time she got wet. It sucked. The neoprene vest had to get tossed. No matter how many times I washed it, the smell just wouldn't come out of it.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I just gave her bath number 2. The only thing that had a slight smell was her ears and head. I covered those areas with bath 2. I used scent killer soap mixed with baking soda.

Big H

Medina
Wife has had a mobile dog grooming business for 14 years. m She says, make sure you use the blue Dawn and really warm water (not hot) first if you can find the oily spot (direct hit spot). Then make a paste with Dawn and baking soda and work it all the way to the skin. Let it set for at least 15 minutes before rinsing it off.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
This was a direct hit for sure. She stunk from the tip of her nose to her tail.

That skunk is as good as dead. I'm 90% sure it ives under my shed.
AA062C23-357D-46BC-B7AF-06CC88A18DAD.jpeg

Reactions: CJD3 and Mike

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wife has had a mobile dog grooming business for 14 years. m She says, make sure you use the blue Dawn and really warm water (not hot) first if you can find the oily spot (direct hit spot). Then make a paste with Dawn and baking soda and work it all the way to the skin. Let it set for at least 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
The musk is oil based and the dawn will cut it and slowly remove it. It’ll take a few times of using it to get it tolerable. Dawn, vinegar, baking soda slowly cuts the oil from the musk. It’s a process....

Reactions: Mike