Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

So you Know Deer? Quiz Time

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I missed one. I missed the hoof print question as well. I don't feel the right answer was listed. I chose the one I felt fit the best. Truthfully, I felt if you could follow their hoof prints you could tell by the width difference between front and rear hooves and often you will see the bucks dragging their hooves. That was not a response though. lol

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I agree with Phil on the hoof print question. That was the only question I missed and I had it right before I changed. However I do feel you can tell the difference between the two with proper evidence and they did not list an answer that allowed for that. IMO, you can use tracks to decipher the sex of the deer, its just not always possible...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I got #11 wrong. Some of those questions could easily have a different correct answer.

Agreed. Several I was down to two choices and simply eliminated responses with the word "always". Worked in school. Still works now I guess. lol Very few answers to questions have the word "always" or "never". I believe I saw an "almost always" in one of these questions and had to think. Maybe that is the one I missed? lol

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I don't wanna brag or anything... :smiley_bril: But 13 of 13:pickle:

Too bad I own this Mac I don't know how to use or I'd post a screen shot of it.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
12 of 13. But some of those questions are bs. You absolutely can tell a bucks tracks from a does. A doe is wider in the hips and a buck wider in the shoulders. If you look at the split in the hoof and the rear track is slightly right of the front, it's a doe with wider hips. If the front track is slightly outside the rear track, it's a buck. Also. Deer tend to step in their own tracks or close to it. However Bucks tend to be longer than a doe. Meaning the rear track will be slightly farther behind their first track. You can't tell from a single track. But if you look at 5-10 prints you can get a pretty damn good bet. Also. Look for piss in the snow. Does squat and piss straight down. Where as bucks have a wiener that tends to wizzle around a little making a clover leaf. Unless they're pissing on their hocks.

Another one.

A. True. Given the chance, a wounded deer always runs downhill and always heads for water.

B. False. A wounded deer runs to escape danger, regardless of hills or water.

The correct answer was B. but the wrong answer said "given the chance". I can tell you every deer I have ever shot or helped recover ran downhill regardless of thick cover being close. And they ALWAYS head for water "if given the chance". If given the chance to run downhill towards water. They WILL do it.

Cows. Bet the bank on it. They don't give this enough credit. If the cows are all laying down you WILL have a crappy hunt. Never fails. Before a storm when the cows are feeding the deer are feeding. If its pouring rain and the cows are under cover the deer will be too. Same if its hot as hell. Both hang around water. Take it to the bank. If the cows are being lazy it's for a reason. The deer have the same reason.

They claim a full moon as little impact on deer movement. BS. Ever tried to hunt the rut when you have a full moon. The rutting is crazy at night. Especially if the days are warm with cool nights. They don't shut down during the day but movement is much less due to them running all night and being locked down resting with a doe during the day. Hunting during a full moon sucks. ESPECIALLY during the rut.

Last edited:

Lundy

I guess being old has it's advantages:)
You got 13 of 13 possible points. Your score: 100 %

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
You're knit picking Joe. I agree with a lot of what you say, but I took that quiz as the beans it's worth. It's really not that hard to know the "right" answers. Although I've never paid a bit of attention to what cows are doing. Most likely, I'm not hunting in the rain unless it's forecast to stop while I'd be out there. I'm not hunting in the summer heat. Other than that, they are eating machines... I've also had most of our deer run straight into briars after being shot. Gut shot, different story. Fatal shot, especially when it doesn't hit a rib, if they can make it that far, they head for cover.