Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Solid Grip Trigger

Creamer

Athens
Making a change 3 weeks before season opens seemed like a great idea. I've been wanting to try a Solid Grip Trigger from RMS Gear for a while. After it arrived, I had a few days when I couldn't force myself to try it because of the timing issue. I caved in today. For those who don't know, it's essentially like a clicker but installed on the grip and activated by pressure from your palm.

I fiddled with location for a while, just drawing and letting down. I have sort of a high grip so I was concerned about how easily I'd be able to activate it. It comes with a small piece of temporary tape to tack it in place while you adjust its location. My thought was, if I struggle with it, I won't remove the temporary tape and I'll shelve it until after the season ends.

I felt like I had it in a good spot for my grip but needed to add the extra little nubby for more consistent activation. That helped me a lot, I could more consistently click it with that on there. First shot with it was confidence inspiring.

I did have a few fliers in those first several groups, but the majority of my arrows were flying really well and my shooting was mostly very good with the trigger. The more I shot, the better I shot.

I know I am like a whole hour into shooting with it, so take this for what it's worth. It is working for me, much better and faster than I expected. I am still not making it click on EVERY shot. My honest opinion, as much of this thing's benefit comes not just from making it click to trigger your shot, but in that it slows me down and forces me to think through my whole shot sequence. Draw the bow, anchor, aim, expand to release. The trigger is keeping me mentally engaged at each step like a checklist, as opposed to the dreaded autopilot that can send me down bad paths. I'll continue to update progress with it. I removed the temp tape and have it securely stuck to my grip now. For now, it feels like it was a good move.

(the blue painters tape is gone now, I had that on there to mark the location while I tested it)

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Interesting. I never tried a clicker on my string and limb, it kinda scared me although I had target panic from time to time. RMS makes some good stuff, so I’d imagine this will be nothing short of that.

Reactions: Creamer

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff, Jeff. Hopefully your confidence continues to build and it works for ya.

I haven't tried a grip-trigger clicker, but I've been down the clicker road. It's not for me. The clickers just act as a distraction for me personally. I do focus on my draw cycle, my anchor, and my release... but throwing other variables in there just takes my focus away from hitting a spot. I just simply shoot better the less I think about things. It feels more natural and comfortable to me. I could never throw a baseball worth a shit if I was "aiming" or adjusting my mechanics to compensate for this, that, or the other either. Just rearing back and trusting my hand-eye coordination always worked best for me.

I do totally understand how clickers can improve consistency and performance for some folks, though. Who knows... maybe if I forced myself to shoot one longer I would improve, too. Lord knows I'm far from an expert instinctive archer. You're an ambitious mofo for starting this just 3 weeks ahead of the bow season opener. You've got more guts than me that's for sure! :ROFLMAO:

Creamer

Athens
Good stuff, Jeff. Hopefully your confidence continues to build and it works for ya.

I haven't tried a grip-trigger clicker, but I've been down the clicker road. It's not for me. The clickers just act as a distraction for me personally. I do focus on my draw cycle, my anchor, and my release... but throwing other variables in there just takes my focus away from hitting a spot. I just simply shoot better the less I think about things. It feels more natural and comfortable to me. I could never throw a baseball worth a shit if I was "aiming" or adjusting my mechanics to compensate for this, that, or the other either. Just rearing back and trusting my hand-eye coordination always worked best for me.

I do totally understand how clickers can improve consistency and performance for some folks, though. Who knows... maybe if I forced myself to shoot one longer I would improve, too. Lord knows I'm far from an expert instinctive archer. You're an ambitious mofo for starting this just 3 weeks ahead of the bow season opener. You've got more guts than me that's for sure! :ROFLMAO:

Believe me, if it starts to affect things in a bad way, it's coming off. The timeline bit that scared me was I had heard people saying it took a while to get used to a string clicker. I've never really wanted one of those on my bow because I don't like the chance a string/cable fails in some way at the wrong time. At least in my head, the palm clicker feels more failsafe. I had been shooting pretty well, but at the same time I knew that basically all of my bad arrows were happening when I let autopilot creep in and started "skipping steps." Last year still weighs pretty heavily on me, I did not shoot well at animals last year. If this little clicker can force me to slow down and execute, I think it will help me in the field. We shall see.

Reactions: jagermeister

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason has been shooting that very model for the last year or two. He struggles with target panic horribly if he doesn’t use something to keep him focused. It works for him. Hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: Creamer and 5Cent