Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Son's first hunt & first turkey!!

Thought I'd share this with you all, even though it's from Michigan. We had hoped to make it down to Ohio but time just wasn't on our side.

My 8 year old son Allen decided he wanted to give hunting a try this year. All winter long he said he wanted to go turkey hunting so once we got his and my licenses for Michigan it was time to figure out what he was going to use. I pulled out the .410 and even a 20 gauge but he didn't like those and settled on trying out the crossbow. He had shot it a couple times before and didn't mind it at all, so an already difficult hunt just became harder. He shot well and I kept thinking if he had the opportunity he could make the shot.

We hunted up on a farm my buddy has access to. He had scouted the place and even set up a blind for us. Saturday morning we were out there after them, all 3 of us in the blind. Gobbling started early and soon we had two jakes coming our way. They stepped into the window opening and I could tell Allen instantly got nervous. He settled down though and when the one stopped he let it have it!! Hit him perfectly and the turkey ran a short distance before coming to a stop. Soon we were standing over the turkey and Allen was shivering like crazy!! The excitement sure was there in him and boy did my buddy and I enjoy what we were seeing!!

Later in the day after a good breakfast we headed back out. I had a license and we figured it was worth a shot to try to fill it since it didn't look good for us to get out more this year. Later that afternoon we had another set of jakes come in and soon I let the 2nd. bolt of the day fly. A good run across the field and my turkey was done! Incredible day for us and one I will always remember!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow, that's cool too have the day end with that picture of both your turkeys.... Congrats too you both......

Thanks everyone!! Heck it's Tuesday and I'm still smiling about it!! Allen was re-living the moment last night when they first came into view and as they moved over to where he made the shot! I'll tell you this, that never will get old for me! You could just see the excitement still in him as he was describing it...priceless!! Think he's hooked!!