Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Spypoint Cell Link Image Quality Demo... with Browning Dark Ops Apex

Stressless

Keene, OH
Been eyeballing the Spypoint Cell-Link for a bit - many reviews but no good image "Quality" of received and stored picture reviews so here's mine. Not in TOO right now, elsewhere, so the pic is the test I ran on the porch here.

Important Point - the Pic you Get and Can see on you login account via the PHONEAPP and the WEBAPP are different for both the Basic and HD (paid for) versions of the image taken by the CellCamera and transmitted by the Spypoint Cell-Link. It all boils down to the picture (jpeg) compression algorithms Spypoint uses to save resources on data at rest and transmission.

For jpeg compression review- here's the basic functions: Sacrifice data loss (quality)for resources($).

algorithm.jpg

For my experiment I used a Browning Dark Ops Apex - set on Medium 4MP mode which is closest to it's native rendering of the image (i.e., not enhanced), I connected this to the Spypoint Cell-Link and set it out to take some pics.

Note: The regular random trailcam image like the regular random spypoint Cell_Link image captured, are junk and not wanted, needed or saved. This is just the way it is, raccoons, squirrels, birds, does etc etc, Bottom-Line if camera takes a Pic that we want = junk. Spypoint compresses quite a bit on their proprietary process.

NOTE: Spypoint uses the same compression and size for the Basic Image for the Cell_Link that they use with their Link_Micro camera.

OK -Pics.

Basic (free) image quality sent over the air first - the initial image sent via Spypoint posted to both the WEBAPP and PHONEAPP - this is Spypoint NOT HD. It's interesting that Spypoint quality is almost 100% better via the PHONEAPP then what it posts to the WEBAPP location.

Basic (free) image quality sent over the air
Via Spypoint PHONEAPP
Image 600x338 pixels, Size 65.1K
spypoint.jpg

Basic (free) image quality sent over the air
Via Spypoint WEBAPP
Image 600x338 pixels, Size 33.5K
PICT0032_202008151537Basic WEBAPP.jpg

Now the HD images from Spyoint, Currently a Premium product (50 HD downloads for $5.00) via the WEBAPP and the PHONEAPP.

HD (Premium) image quality sent over the air
Via Spypoint PHONEAPP
Image 1920 x 1080 pixels, Size 571K
spypoint(3).jpg

HD (Premium) image quality sent over the air
Via Spypoint WEBAPP
Image 1920x1080 pixels, Size 309K
PICT0036_H_202008151938HD Download Website.jpg

The Premium or PAID For per Picture ($.10)/picture via the WEBAPP is 100 less quality, 571K vs 309K or compressed by 100% more even though you are paying the same price for it.

Lastly the two pictures off the Micro SD card you must buy to use the Cell_Link camera. They don't take a normal SD card, like most trail cams, Micro SD cards are limited to 32 GB regardless of what size your trail camera can take.

Original Browning Dark Ops Apex image off the Micro SD card in the Cell_link.
Image 4608x2592 pixels, Size 2.93MB
PICT0032.JPG

Original Browning Dark Ops Apex image off the Micro SD card in the Cell_link.
Image 4608x2592 pixels, Size 2.86MB
PICT0036.JPG

Everyhting in life's a trade-off - to get the ease of pics to your phone without "being there" you'll lose a ton of detail - If you want and need that detail then this prolly isn't the right setup, if you're not equipped to deal with mirco SD cards ditto.

Counter intuitively - for the best Basic (Free) or HD (Premioum) quality photo - get it off your phone- it's about twice as good - or uncompressed as what you can get off the Spypoint WEBAPP.

I am very happy that Spypoint is saving the native high quality resolution pics from the original cameras, you just have to go get tehm - no possible way to get a good quality pic with their setup.

Hope this helps - //Stressless//

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Here is an update on my cellular cams. I will never own a cam unless it’s cellular. It’s been outstanding and crazy to see when the deer are moving I’m getting pics on all of them. As my luck would have it it’s been all doe’s so far w one cow horn spike.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
These cams are on mineral licks that we made from the feed store. It’s the common recipe that most use.
50# stock salt
100# red trace
50# di-cal phosphate

My place is wrapped in beans and corn. Most of the deer are in the fields.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I bought one put it on a browning cam it sent pics as soon as I turned it on went home never got another pic for a few days figured out it needed the firmware updated so I pulled it and did that. Let it run at my house it sent over 200 pics around the house took it back out and set it up again sent pics within the first 2 min and hasn't taken one in over a week. Shows its checking into the app but not sending anything. So I won't waste my money again Im prolly gonna smash it off the tree when I go back out.

Reactions: Mike and Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
Price of these SpyPoints are fantastic, however most people I know that have them have issues with the firmware.... Also hear alot about small pics... So IMO don't waste your money go out and get yourself a Spartan and never look back..

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Stressless

Keene, OH
@bigten05

Here the best honest write-up review of Spypoint cell link.

Full write up here: https://www.trailcampro.com/products/spypoint-cell-link

Best practices
Here are some things we have picked up so far. The Cell-Link will need a micro SD card (you will need to purchase separately). We have found that you need to format this card in your computer. You will also need to format the SD card that is connected to the cable in your computer.

When possible, have the cable exit the camera at the bottom of the camera. We have concerns that anytime something breaks the seal of a trail camera's gasket that the possibility of letting moisture into a camera amplifies significantly. Maybe this will be an issue, maybe it won't. Either way, having the cable exit the bottom of the camera will help prevent direct entry of water into the camera.

How to Make the Spypoint Cell-Link work with Browning Trail Cameras
The Problem:
It took us a while, but we finally figured out why the Cell-Link was not working with Browning cameras (with Spypoint's help). We initially inserted the sd card, attached to the flat cable, closed the door, and latched it like we had all the other cameras. However, it never sent photos. Turns out, the pressure of latching the door tugged the flat cable down and away from the SD card slot. In turn, this pulled the SD card out of the slot ever-so-slightly. Without the SD card completely in the slot, the camera didn't send pictures.
How to fix: You will need to fold the cable up before allowing it to go out the bottom of the camera (pictured).

Reactions: Big_Holla

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
We have 8 and five of them for a year w no problems at all. The small pics you talking about, sent as text? You can log in on a pc and get full pics. The phone works fine for me as I’m not trying to get pics to make pictures w or anything like that. I got them for inventory and MRI (most recent info). Works perfectly so far, hope I didn’t jinx myself.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Yep, I have the Link Micro(stand alone) cellular trail cam, and the Cell Link, (addbkn to existing trailcam) my original post above is the quality of the Cell Link add on.

Trailcam Pros, great business, stopped selling the Cell-Link due to their concerns after testing. Its all in the Link I posted to their review.

I tested one on my Browning, its not the wham-Bam-thx4-picture Ma'am like most trail cams. It takes some finesse to get them consistantly operational.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have no issues with my Link Micro, I love it, glad I was able to get it for 90.00. No issues either with my two Cell Links. That's the best way to go & make use of your existing trail cams. They're normally 59.99 . Vances Outdoors has them for 49.99.