Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

State Parks Offer Special Archery Hunt Lotteries on Sept. 22

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
9/12/2018 Ohio State Parks

COLUMBUS, OH – Approximately 1,600 acres of quality deer hunting land will be available to archers as part of controlled hunts at Buck Creek, Caesar Creek, Deer Creek, Findley, Malabar Farm and Maumee Bay state parks, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR). Hunters must be present at the drawing location they are interested in hunting. Deer harvested in these controlled hunts will not count against a hunter’s statewide, county or public land bag limit.

• All drawings will occur at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 22.
  • All hunts are archery-only.
  • Hunters must possess a valid 2018-19 hunting license and a valid deer permit to enter the drawings.
  • Names will be randomly drawn and those selected will be assigned a location to hunt in the park.
  • Selected hunters will be eligible to hunt their assigned location for two-week increments.
  • Hunters will be permitted to hunt with a partner. The partner is not required to attend the drawing but must be named prior to the start of the hunt.
  • Buck Creek State Park will have two drawings, with one specifically for military veterans only.

Drawing locations are as follows:

• Deer Creek State Park Office: 20635 State Park Road 20, Mt. Sterling 43143. Contact Zach Woodrow at 740-869-3124 or zachary.woodrow@dnr.state.oh.us for more information.
  • Malabar Farm State Park Office: 4050 Bromfield Road, Lucas 44843. Contact Siera Marth at 419-892-2784 or siera.marth@dnr.state.oh.us for more information.
  • Maumee Bay State Park Office: 1400 State Park Road, Oregon 43616. Contact Andrew Thompson at 419-836-7758 or andrew.thompson@dnr.state.oh.us for more information.
  • Findley State Park Beach: 25381 State Route 58, Wellington 44090. Contact Rocky Carpenter at 440-647-5749, ext. 100, or rocky.carpenter@dnr.state.oh.us for more information.
  • Buck Creek State Park Office: 1976 Buck Creek Lane, Springfield 45502. Contact John Lewis at 937-322-5284 or john.lewis@dnr.state.oh.us for more information.
  • Caesar Creek State Park Office: 8750 E. State Route 73, Waynesville 45068. Contact Scott Fletcher at 513-897-3055 or scott.fletcher@dnr.state.oh.us for more information.
Source:

http://parks.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/...ivisionOfWildlife+(ODNR+Division+of+Wildlife)

Reactions: aholdren and Mike

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Says deer harvested will not count toward State wide bag limits. Wonder if that means you could shoot a buck and it doesn't count.
Screenshot_20180919-215558.png

One buck only, per year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Says deer harvested will not count toward State wide bag limits. Wonder if that means you could shoot a buck and it doesn't count.
INCORRECT. Anterless deer will not count but you still can only shoot ONE buck per year, regardless of when/where/how you got him. One nice thing about these controlled hunts though is you can use the $15 antlerless permits for does and BB's.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I don't get it - what's the advantage of being in a "controlled hunt" at Caesars Creek - public land where I'm going to be hunting already?
Is it somewhere where you're not currently allowed? Do they parade the deer in front of you? Do they have hot chicks driving around in a drink cart like a golf course? Driving deer to you?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm half tempted to attend the Findley State Park drawing but it's a bit of a drive. I'd hate to get a permit and not utilize it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So I don't get it - what's the advantage of being in a "controlled hunt" at Caesars Creek - public land where I'm going to be hunting already?
Is it somewhere where you're not currently allowed? Do they parade the deer in front of you? Do they have hot chicks driving around in a drink cart like a golf course? Driving deer to you?
Generally, yes. That's why these are archery hunts only. Close proximity to buildings or hiking trails... areas that are typically off limits to hunting deer. I don't think there are any beer carts with hot chicks (that's a damn shame), but the hunting is probably pretty good since deer have been conditioned to feel safe in these areas for years. This is not your typical public land hunt.

Reactions: Quantum673