Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Staying Warm 101

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm the first to admit that for a fat boy, I get cold pretty easy. I've fought it from the time I started hunting at 8 and still have to take extra precautions 25 years later. I've learned a few things along the way that really help. Since it was a brisk 29 degrees this morning (a temp that used to do me in fairly quickly) and I stayed toasty, figured I'd share some of my tips and techniques.

First off, spend money on quality gear. I realize not all of us have the ability to spend hundreds of dollars on hunting gear, but you can make it happen if you really want to. Christmas and birthdays are great times to pick up stuff and you can always save your change. I've invested in Under Armour Cold Gear products for years and believe wholeheartedly in them. The Cabelas Extreme Cold Weather Series layers are also great. Cabelas Outfitter Fleece is great stuff as well. The version I have has the wind proof lining and I firmly believe in owning stuff that's wind proof. I'm fairly well equipped clothing wise, but I may own some First Lite wool or Sitka Gear stuff before long.

Second is strategically placed Hot Hands. I buy the big versions and put one in the pocket of my UA Cold Gear fleece. This keeps the warmer over my heart and I've found this really helps me stay warm. Hand warmers in each pocket are great and an adhesive one stuck to my UA Cold Gear base layer at the base of my neck is great too.

Third, keep your neck covered. Invest in a fleece gaiter or a nice face mask. I have a UA Infrared face mask that I use. Keeping my neck, face and ears warm is crucial to staying warm.

Fourth, feet. This is my Achilles heal to make a bad pun. I fight cold feet even in above freezing weather. I wear Muck Wetlands and I sweat terribly in them. I've started wearing a thin UA Heat Gear hiking boot on the walk in, then putting on a thick pair of Browning wool socks once I'm to the tree. It helps, but I still need hand warmers in my boots some days. I may get some heated insoles for Christmas this year, so my fingers are crossed!

Sixth, getting to your spot without sweating is a challenge for some, especially for me. I have to walk in with my UA base layers and finish dressing at the tree. This means carrying in 3-4 layers on days like today. I can bundle everything up in my GamePlan Gear Bow Bat and it works well. If I sweat on the way in, it takes hours of my hunt.

Lastly, get creative. I just bought a ThermaCare heat wrap off Amazon that has a washable waist band. You heat the back up in the microwave and strap around your lower back. I haven't used it yet as it's primarily for frigid cold waterfowl hunts, but I can see it going on some deer hunts too.

So if you're a cold weather wuss like me, let's hear how you fight the cold. BTW, today took 4 layers. UA Infrared base layers, Cabelas E.C.W.S. layers, Rocky fleece lined pant, UA Storm series bibs, UA fleece 1/4 zip and Cabelas Outfitter fleece with wind proof liner. LOL

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Damn man. Its chilly , but not arctic expedition chilly . Lol . Your Prolly one of the ones praying for global warming or climate change , or whatever its called today .

Since my heart surgery I've been on blood thinning medicine. Believe me this makes cold weather a big issue. I usually only hunt the warmer days now. I'll be hunting the next few days if I can due to the warming trend. Like Jesse, my feet are the worst for cold. I still think I walk on my armpits.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
All I use is merino wool... Clothing must be windproof. A 10 mph breeze will make it feel at least 20 degrees colder.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
You're not alone Jesse. I dress up like the little kid from Christmas Story, put a heater in my blind and still freeze my ass off. That's another reason for the big push to fill the freezer before it gets too cold. One of these days I'll get some nice gear like you mentioned but I'll have to save up for it or find some clearance stuff.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One other thing, other than a good neck gator is good wind proof head gear.... Wear a ball cap for a couple hours in the wind on a 40 something day then switch over too a quality head gear.... Night and day difference....

Lots of heat leaking outta that dome....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I fight the cold with my MS and heart condition. The main reason for my hunting tower so I can have a heater.
Menards had those 2 piece Maverick 5' hunting blind on special. I seen the special at 11:30 PM and it went off 30 minutes later. Regular 699 on sale for 549 and 68 mail in refund. Free shipping to store. I'll put it up early next spring.

jeremy44230

Medina County
Make my switch to Badlands clothing. Pricey, yes but they are performing well. Got the Badlands Longitude base layers this year. They work well.

I use a Hot Hot hand muff and gloves as needed. I prefer not to wear gloves.

Fleece hat and neck gator.

This year I also picked up some Irish Setter Black Bear boots. 400 grams. Love em so far. My feet getting cold will ruin my hunts. I wear a thin pair of carhartt moisture wicking socks and a pair of merino wool socks. Feet get a bit chilly but not unbearable. I think heated insoles are in my future.

Like Jesse said, spent the extra money on good clothes.

ajupsman

*Supporting Member*
New Hampshire
My sister works for Smart Wool in Colorado. Their base layers and socks are awesome. Their stuff is high end and made from Merino wool. It's expensive but worth it. They suggest wearing thin liner socks and then wool socks over those. I put a little foot powder in the liner socks to combat sweat. My buddy recommended that. He learned that in the army. One last thing I do for my feet on really cold days is put on boot covers when I get to my stand. I got them last year for late season and they work great. I'll see if I can find a link.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How giles stayed warm at Strouds... rotflmao

k2-_81130cda-133d-42f5-9bda-68cbf59c56d4.v1.jpg

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
Put them hot hands in your boots by your toes and a set in you gloves. Switch them out every hour or so. For whatever reason lack of oxygen they cool off, the ones in your gloves are hot. Ten minute later the ones from your boots get hot again.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
HBS for when it's really cold. Artic Shield boot blankets for when it's just cold. Layers of wool for when it's cool. Heater buddy and a blind is handy for January corn pile hunts.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
For feet liners and wool socks . Another useful tip is spraying your feet with uunscented anti perspirant spray to keep em from sweatin

Huckleberry Finn

All I use is merino wool... Clothing must be windproof. A 10 mph breeze will make it feel at least 20 degrees colder.

Stole some first lite merino on triple field and stream clearance. Not their thick stuff but it keeps me very dry and comfy. Layer it under UA and all is good.

Third season for the Llama socks. Cannot beat them.