Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Steve's 2019 season

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
I figured I would start one of these threads even though I don't really expect there to be much to post in it until I get out to my family farm in Missouri in mid Nov.

The only spot I have nearby in Ohio to hunt is a small conservation club in SE Franklin Cty. Its archery only and has about 18 people trying to hunt maybe 300 acres. As a result we have a lottery draw from Sept - Nov. Once Dec/Jan roll around its open for everyone to hunt anytime. Usually they don't get out much after it gets cold. But a few do.

The first opportunities I will have to hunt will be the first week of Oct. Of course the draw is fickle and are all weekdays. So...its rush home from work and throw on some camo and try to get some time in before the golf cart riders come through. Lucky for me, I hunt places the golf carts can't go.

This evening I went out and put two pop up blinds up and cleared a few shooting lanes.

20190918_171245.jpg
20190918_163805.jpg

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Going to be hunting with a crossbow this year...I'm stealing my son's Barnett Raptor FX3. Am leaning towards using 2 blade Rage 125s, but I also have some 100 gn Montecs. Since Ive sighted the bow in to 40 yards with the Rage practice head, I will probably go with that.

As an aside...I'm a directional moron. Do not follow me in the woods or anywhere else. Its made worse when onX stops telling me where I am and where I'm going because my phone decided to go into stealth airplane mode while in my pocket. One unmowed powerline easment and 40 acre standing corn field later...I was home.

20190918_184250.jpg

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Got everything all gathered up around 3 and left around 4. Sprayed clothes with permethrin and tossed it into the dryer. Hopped into the shower and cleaned up. Then suited up. Since Im in blinds until they cut the standing corn, I just went with a black shirt and blue jeans. Forgot to pack the thermacell. Oops.

On the way in, skirted a standing corn field. Kicked up a limits worth of doves on the way in. Doves and I have a very bad relationship. The little bastards are everywhere in late summer. Perched on the eaves of the house...pooping on my truck...nesting in my ferns. Exploding into the sky whenever I walk the dog. But come opening day....they are nowhere to be found. I've decided that one day I will own my own property and I will shoot every one of them I see after the season opens.

Anyway...I wrangled my way into the thick crap that I have to hunt and worked up a sweat before I found my blind. Luckily it was cool enough, I wasn't hot for long. Had a nice 3.5 hr sit. Tried out my sound amplifying shooting muffs just to see what they sound like in the woods. You can hear lots of tree rats with them. Just no sense of direction at all. I will use them again in Missouri and NC when I'm shooting my 300 win mag with muzzle brake.

Ended up seeing a bunch of squirrels and something white moving through the woods waaaay off in the distance. Might have been a deer....might have been an albino squatch. Never saw it again. Packed up at 730 and headed to the truck. Didn't hear or see any deer...though I made enough noise on exit I could have woken a deaf person.

Gonna go back out this evening for a sit...and to try and find the decocking bolt that I forgot to retrieve last night. Not sure I will find it. We'll see!

Last edited:

Lucky

Sunbury
Nothing better than having a doe come in a hurry by you! Knowing your going to see a buck of some sorts.. Little guy or monster....best time. Of year is comming for bow hunters. That time we wait all year for.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Ah yes...another typical Ohio hunt courtesy of my own stupidity and the shithole piece of property I hunt.

After navigating 50 acres of standing corn only to bushwhack 200 yards through thick brushy crap I arrived at my blind having made more noise and laid down more scent than a rhino in heat. Only to discover I left my cocking rope in the garage. Maybe november will be better.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Ah yes...another typical Ohio hunt courtesy of my own stupidity and the shithole piece of property I hunt.

After navigating 50 acres of standing corn only to bushwhack 200 yards through thick brushy crap I arrived at my blind having made more noise and laid down more scent than a rhino in heat. Only to discover I left my cocking rope in the garage. Maybe november will be better.
WTF? Sounds like a Stroud’s outing is needed in your future 😂