Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Taxidermy

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Have any of you tried it? I'm on the fence. If I go down this rabbit hole, I'll start with that unique doe from October. I know I can do it, but do I really want to?
IMG_20221013_184522311.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Do it! If you enjoy it you could make a good deal of money, too. If a person were inclined and capable of doing a good job, had a reasonable turnaround time, you could set your price at whatever you want. I’d be happy to pay twice what I already do for someone that would get them back inside of six months.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I went through a brief phase where I was considering it pretty hard myself. Bought several tutorial DVDs and catalogs, scoured the Internet and went down countless rabbit holes. I decided against it. Mainly because I simply didn’t need another “hobby.” Even though I know I would be good at it. I know that sounds egotistical… but anyone with an inkling of artistic ability and an eye for detail can successfully mount deer heads. Birds… that’s another story. Anyway, I never did take the plunge.

And yes, you can make a lot of money if you’re talented and produce a great product. But it’s not easy money by any means. Material costs, supply chain issues, limited tanneries… all increasing issues for the taxidermy business. Aaannnddd… let’s face it, 30-50% of the customers you deal with will either be a pain in the ass, or will flake on payment/pickup, or both.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I went through a brief phase where I was considering it pretty hard myself. Bought several tutorial DVDs and catalogs, scoured the Internet and went down countless rabbit holes. I decided against it. Mainly because I simply didn’t need another “hobby.” Even though I know I would be good at it. I know that sounds egotistical… but anyone with an inkling of artistic ability and an eye for detail can successfully mount deer heads. Birds… that’s another story. Anyway, I never did take the plunge.
This.
I would do it just for self satisfaction. But, do I really need to. Probably not.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Friend of mine does it as a hobby.. Does most of mine and other friends... He's pretty good at it and good thing is I have my mount back in 6 months... He sends hides out to be professionally tanned... Here's a pic of deer he's done...

Attachments

• 00000IMG_00000_BURST20200907124123449_COVER.jpg
    00000IMG_00000_BURST20200907124123449_COVER.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 96

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If nothing else it would save you money on your own taxidermy. Initially it'll be a hit to the wallet just getting tools for the craft but a couple mounts down the road you'd start saving money. If you find peace and enjoyment after doing a few then you can add in trustworthy friends or family.

I would be hesitant to do any for John Q Public just because people forget, run into hardship, illness, and a number of other reasons to dip on picking it up and paying for them. Only plus side to runners in today's times is the fact you can sell the mount online. At least recoup the material money back and maybe you can get enough to pay for your services. Hell you might even be able to rent them out lol.

With your artistic ability in your drawings I could see you getting a pre fab mold and using modeling clay to add a lot of facial detail that would be awesome. They actually do huge competitions you could enter and make decent prize money.