Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Teachers not going back to school.

Floki

This whole kung flu virus has turned in to one hell of a political dumpster fire.

I personally can not see one reason why kids are not going back to school five days a week. Teachers should be ashamed! So many kids are going to fall through the cracks. Not one person under the age of 22 has died in Ohio from the kung flu.

Dewine the White Rhino just said daycares could return to full capacity. Yet schools can stay closed.

As of right now where my kid goes they are scheduled for five days a week. Public schools here are scheduled for 4 days a week. I’m sure that’s all going to change.

This is a total crock of shat!! Last I saw in Florida not one person under 17 had died from Kung flu.

Saw Columbus was closing all work done at home. Well how bout people that don’t have the Internet?

Anyhow just wondered people’s thoughts on this issue. As well as what other people’s local schools are doing.

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
Get back to school, get back to work and let’s put this shitshow behind us. If you are scared, hole up in your safe space and shut the fuck up. America has shit to do! If you have a compromised immune system, I feel bad for you and your loved ones. Please take all the proper precautions and do what you feel is right. The rest of us have your back by keeping the economy and our future going strong. 👍🏼

Our school district is going back to 5 days a week and my wife's school district is as well. Ohio education system is designed to allow individual school district's administration and board members who are elected officials make decisions on what is best for their schools. Not all states are like this, more conservative states or right to work states "Southern States" where unions are outlawed and state department of education acts as a communist regime, make all the rules, regs and decisions for all the schools in the state. NC for example- someone or a small group in the state decides what is basically best for coastal schools to the mountain schools in the west. These are the states where the teachers are up in arms and do not want to go back to school because they are treated like shit and make shit money. In NC I made 30k a year, I literally almost doubled my salary and it is a much lower cost of living in Ohio. If I worked in Virginia, Florida, SC, NC I would be throwing a bitch fit to because they are treated like shit in general.

Our union voted on a contract resolution a few days ago, we the teachers wanted to keep our original start date Aug 24, the Hanco ck county Health department wanted to push it back to two weeks. We were strongly urged to agree and voted to push the start back as the same as the Hancock county. We teachers are now still reporting the 24th of August and will receive some sort of advanced covid training. Dewine still has the ultimate power as he can basically call the shots, if a county goes red I believe (don't quote me on this, I could be wrong) he has strongly encouraged that counties schools to decrease the amount of days they are attending school physically.

As for major city school systems in Ohio- Cleveland, Toledo, Cincy, Columbus- those school districts are much larger and are run more like southern state schools. They still have unions but because of the size of the school district and the # of school within the district there is more of a power vacuum where a few at the top are calling more of the shots.

We have a couple friends that are teachers (Liberals) and they are paranoid about going back. Of course they back their union and all they seem to be doing to thwart going back to work. Of course they also feel they should get paid 100% even if they don't work from home.
Where do all these ultra liberal nut job teachers hide? I have seen them on internet but have never actually seen or met them. I did my first observations in a classroom back in 2003 and have been in the classroom ever sense, I have never seen or been around any left wing nut jobs in education that is pushing progressive ideology on their students. I would say a majority of teachers in my part of Ohio are moderate and go both ways on different issues. I don't know maybe I have blinders on.

Edit- After thinking about it for 5 minutes, I realized I had some encounters ALL IN NC, again a right to work state where pay is so low that everyone keeps their job and you can get hired if you have a pulse and college degree from the University of South West Bahama Tech. online school (this is not a exaggeration).

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Our school district is going back to 5 days a week and my wife's school district is as well. Ohio education system is designed to allow individual school district's administration and board members who are elected officials make decisions on what is best for their schools. Not all states are like this, more conservative states or right to work states "Southern States" where unions are outlawed and state department of education acts as a communist regime, make all the rules, regs and decisions for all the schools in the state. NC for example- someone or a small group in the state decides what is basically best for coastal schools to the mountain schools in the west. These are the states where the teachers are up in arms and do not want to go back to school because they are treated like shit and make shit money. In NC I made 30k a year, I literally almost doubled my salary and it is a much lower cost of living in Ohio. If I worked in Virginia, Florida, SC, NC I would be throwing a bitch fit to because they are treated like shit in general.

Our union voted on a contract resolution a few days ago, we the teachers wanted to keep our original start date Aug 24, the Hanco ck county Health department wanted to push it back to two weeks. We were strongly urged to agree and voted to push the start back as the same as the Hancock county. We teachers are now still reporting the 24th of August and will receive some sort of advanced covid training. Dewine still has the ultimate power as he can basically call the shots, if a county goes red I believe (don't quote me on this, I could be wrong) he has strongly encouraged that counties schools to decrease the amount of days they are attending school physically.

As for major city school systems in Ohio- Cleveland, Toledo, Cincy, Columbus- those school districts are much larger and are run more like southern state schools. They still have unions but because of the size of the school district and the # of school within the district there is more of a power vacuum where a few at the top are calling more of the shots.
Thanks for the post. It's always helpful to hear an insiders point of view. Our district is slated to go back full time if we are yellow or orange. I have a suspicion we will end up red this week resulting in part time, in person school.

I grew up in an union household and had a front row seat to how it impacted our family. I will always be skeptical (of unions not the employee/member).

Floki

I really don’t want to get in to the union side of things.yet...

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...orts-strikes-over-reopening-plans?context=amp

When you start demanding universal health care and other things to open schools back up.. well...

Just take a look at the article.. This virus is not killing kids. What’s the problem. Kids shouldn’t be held responsible for teachers not wanting to work.

I feel there is no argument to be had about kids going back to school. They are not dying.. Teacher pay universal health care that’s a hole other gem.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
my wife and daughter were talking about if she wanted to go back or do online, i put my foot down told her she was going back. kids need to interact with each other and learn from one another society is screwed up enough as it is, imagine if this keeps going on for a few years with online classes being a regular thing the kids will really not have a clue what its like in the real world

Jamie

Licking Co.
Where do all these ultra liberal nut job teachers hide? I have seen them on internet but have never actually seen or met them. I did my first observations in a classroom back in 2003 and have been in the classroom ever sense, I have never seen or been around any left wing nut jobs in education that is pushing progressive ideology on their students. I would say a majority of teachers in my part of Ohio are moderate and go both ways on different issues. I don't know maybe I have blinders on.

Edit- After thinking about it for 5 minutes, I realized I had some encounters ALL IN NC, again a right to work state where pay is so low that everyone keeps their job and you can get hired if you have a pulse and college degree from the University of South West Bahama Tech. online school (this is not a exaggeration).
My wife is a high school english teacher in Columbus Public. I can assure you that 90% of the teachers and administrators in her building are bleeding heart moronic liberals. CEA and OEA are a fucking joke, and these people go right along with whatever the union tells them is best. My wife is pariah, and doesn’t associate with many of them.

I really don’t want to get in to the union side of things.yet...

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...orts-strikes-over-reopening-plans?context=amp

When you start demanding universal health care and other things to open schools back up.. well...

Just take a look at the article.. This virus is not killing kids. What’s the problem. Kids shouldn’t be held responsible for teachers not wanting to work.

I feel there is no argument to be had about kids going back to school. They are not dying.. Teacher pay universal health care that’s a hole other gem.
Well thats not my union and I believe that is out west and look at whats going on out west in those states (rioting, chaz, people pooping in the streets in San Fran and LA) again the state of Ohio each district is basically their own and collective bargain as school district. Our blanket unions would be OEA and NEA

my wife and daughter were talking about if she wanted to go back or do online, i put my foot down told her she was going back. kids need to interact with each other and learn from one another society is screwed up enough as it is, imagine if this keeps going on for a few years with online classes being a regular thing the kids will really not have a clue what its like in the real world
I tell my kids at school all the time, they learn more in the hidden curriculum (socialization, following rules, dealing with different teachers personalities, etc) than they do with the actual classroom material, a high school cafeteria is just like any work lunch room all the like minded people sit together and form cliques its human nature.

5Cent

Supporting Member
Huron County, OH
My wife is a special ed teacher and wants nothing more to go back to school. Not just rona, but she's in a new building this year too and she can't even get into her room. No way in hell she'll be able to operate under state mandates of social distancing and protection with children that are non-verbal and only working on life skills. The way she ended last school year with them via 15-20min online mtgs. is not gonna work.......this is a shit show due to the picking and choosing who can do what and what businesses are open. The fact that we can't even coordinate each county or a large area of schools to be aligned is ridiculous.

Right now she would be teaching in Sandusky M,T,Th,F....W school is closed for cleaning.....this is a recommendation that the board is working to vote on.

Our boys at Edison have the option to do all remote home-schooling or go all 5 days with no bussing of open enrolled (which they r), and their day now goes 9am-4ish..this is approved by the board. How are parents to work lol?!?

Smawgunner

Athens
its bullshit. I'm a high school counselor and I want to go back. I ask these teachers to justify why they don't want to return....of course it's the usual shit about not wanting to catch it and spread it. So I ask them...why are you any better than your grocery cashier, your Hair stylist, your Amazon warehouse worker? You think the education and socialization of children...the future of our country ...is less important than your haircut, your Amazon shit, your groceries? I guess education is nonessential. Pathetic.