Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Teachers not going back to school.

My wife is a special ed teacher and wants nothing more to go back to school. Not just rona, but she's in a new building this year too and she can't even get into her room. No way in hell she'll be able to operate under state mandates of social distancing and protection with children that are non-verbal and only working on life skills. The way she ended last school year with them via 15-20min online mtgs. is not gonna work.......this is a shit show due to the picking and choosing who can do what and what businesses are open. The fact that we can't even coordinate each county or a large area of schools to be aligned is ridiculous.

Right now she would be teaching in Sandusky M,T,Th,F....W school is closed for cleaning.....this is a recommendation that the board is working to vote on.

Our boys at Edison have the option to do all remote home-schooling or go all 5 days with no bussing of open enrolled (which they r), and their day now goes 9am-4ish..this is approved by the board. How are parents to work lol?!?
My wife who also is a special education teacher, last year during the covid scare March- May, her life was hell, special ed. teachers were basically still held accountable/liable for their students' minutes. 99% of the schools were giving out like quarter of the work, how the hell is my wife supposed to meet the accommodations and minutes listed on a kids IEP if he or she doesnt have that amount of work, or refuses to communicate or comply. It was fuggin ridiculous for my wife.
So we want to go back 5 days a week and plan on sending our kids back 5 days a week because they need to get yelled at by someone else for awhile.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Another inconsistency that totally blows my mind is opening day cares at full capacity. If day cares are allowed to operate at full capacity without restriction, why are schools held to a different standard? How much sense does it make to implement remote learning and then have parents drop their kids off at a day care?

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
its bullshit. I'm a high school counselor and I want to go back. I ask these teachers to justify why they don't want to return....of course it's the usual shit about not wanting to catch it and spread it. So I ask them...why are you any better than your grocery cashier, your Hair stylist, your Amazon warehouse worker? You think the education and socialization of children...the future of our country ...is less important than your haircut, your Amazon shit, your groceries? I guess education is nonessential. Pathetic.
BOOM! Drop it like it’s hot.

Floki

Well thats not my union and I believe that is out west and look at whats going on out west in those states (rioting, chaz, people pooping in the streets in San Fran and LA) again the state of Ohio each district is basically their own and collective bargain as school district. Our blanket unions would be OEA and NEA
I know it’s not yours. It’s not a personal jab at anyone in a union. I feel there’s good unions and bad unions just like people. That’s for another day.

The point I was making (trying to anyhow). Is teachers are holding kids at ransom along with parents. Kids are being cheated Parents will be losing jobs.

So many good posts. Kids need to be with other kids 100 percent.. I guess what really sickens me is we’re all in this together. Yet there are some/many that just don’t seem to care.

Last but not least I’m going to say thanks to all the teachers that want to teach. That want to make America as strong as it can be right now.

I know home schooling my kid brought a whole new perspective to me of how hard of a job teaching is. I always respected teachers of course,but sitting with my kid at a table and trying to teach him keep me focused and him focused. Well I’ll just say I’m glad I had a cold beer in the fridge at the end of the day. 🍺cheers fellas!

Snyder10

Teacher here, so touchy subject. I'll say this (and maybe I also have blinders on or teach in a different setting but) almost all the teachers in my district are ready to go back full time. And to be completely honest, I personally would go 6 days a week if it meant keeping our kids in the classroom.We are set so far back academically for not going the whole 4th quarter, all summer, and now potentially for the first 3 months back. Thats 8-9 months without learning, being social, being FED (although we still fed our kids), and having structure. We want to be back, we're ready. Our kids need us and we need them. Think about what they're seeing. From the time they wake up to the time they go to sleep they see negativity and lies. They need real.

Like everything else you see in the media, don't lump all teacher's together when you have this conversation.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Teacher here, so touchy subject. I'll say this (and maybe I also have blinders on or teach in a different setting but) almost all the teachers in my district are ready to go back full time. And to be completely honest, I personally would go 6 days a week if it meant keeping our kids in the classroom.We are set so far back academically for not going the whole 4th quarter, all summer, and now potentially for the first 3 months back. Thats 8-9 months without learning, being social, being FED (although we still fed our kids), and having structure. We want to be back, we're ready. Our kids need us and we need them. Think about what they're seeing. From the time they wake up to the time they go to sleep they see negativity and lies. They need real.

Like everything else you see in the media, don't lump all teacher's together when you have this conversation.
Hey thanks for sharing. What are the good teachers doing to push back against their union agenda? If they're not doing anything then they're letting the loud-mouthed liberals and unions set the narrative for everyone while simultaneously supporting them through continued funding. If a union is truly about the will of the group, where is the infighting? It appears to me that for a long time tail has wagged the dog. The fact that we allow a private organisation to bully demands regarding taxpayer funded services is complete lunacy to me anyway.

Last edited:

Jamie

Licking Co.
I can tell you none of the union representation CPS teachers has is very good at bullying anyone besides their dues paying members. you are mistaken, Joe. Teachers have been taking it on the chin for 20 years around here. blame the districts for wasting all that taxpayer money.

Last edited:

Snyder10

I can tell you none of the union representation CPS teachers has is very good at bullying anyone besides their dues paying members. you are mistaken, Joe. Teachers have been taking it on the chin for 20 years around here. blame the districts for wasting all that taxpayer money.
Like x 100. I had to call my union president to see what was going on. We have zero issues with teachers opting out when we start back up. Not sure what’s going on in your neck of the woods, but like I said, we’re ready to go back.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wasn't implying that teachers are the problem. However teachers are part of a union. The union uses bully tactics to achieve demands from a taxpayer funded public service. Which is exactly what we're seeing now. To say that it's not the teacher, it's the union, is like me saying that I don't condone the tactics of the BLM organization but yes I am a dues paying member. So my question earlier, where are the voices of contention within the union. Where are the good teachers in their fight against their unions' obvious liberal agenda? It's hard for me to accept the narrative of don't judge teachers by the actions of their union when I only see the results of the union. That's the thing about representative organizations, they represent the entirety of the group.

I have no problem with private unions, a company can choose to deal with them or not, they can demand more and more and more until the cows come home and they'll eventually bankrupt the company because revenue is a limited commodity. The same is not true with taxes. The system gets bullied into more and more concessions and eventually puts another levy on the ballot. They then bully the taxpayer because If it fails they make sure to cut the things that directly impact the taxpayer like bussing, extra programs, sports etc. It's not like the public education system can give the union the bird, file bankruptcy to shed themselves of the burden, and then reopen without the union as Hostess did. It's a giant fraudulent shithole of a system where despite falling education levels the price per student has increased dramatically and the taxpayer who is funding a public service continues to get screwed. I say that to say this however, the massive amounts of waste and abuse does not lay at the feet of the teachers, or even the union. Mismanagement of taxpayer dollars exists at all levels. The whole system is one giant money pit of crappy returns. This COVID situation is going to massively increase the availability of private and online education opportunities, especially virtual and remote education.

5Cent

Supporting Member
Huron County, OH
Not at all, you came around with the common knowledge that taxpayer $'s are mishandled at every turn.

Here is a good read of what my wife deals with on a normal basis. I won't compare to a nurse, but the exposure/risk is higher than most of us. I cant count the number of times she has been taken down to the floor, spit on, bled on, or bit on the hand, arm, or neck.

Special needs rooms are just in a different situation compared to the normal class. I fully support her returning to do her job.

https://sanduskyregister.com/news/269113/worrying-together/

I wasn't implying that teachers are the problem. However teachers are part of a union. The union uses bully tactics to achieve demands from a taxpayer funded public service. Which is exactly what we're seeing now. To say that it's not the teacher, it's the union, is like me saying that I don't condone the tactics of the BLM organization but yes I am a dues paying member. So my question earlier, where are the voices of contention within the union. Where are the good teachers in their fight against their unions' obvious liberal agenda? It's hard for me to accept the narrative of don't judge teachers by the actions of their union when I only see the results of the union. That's the thing about representative organizations, they represent the entirety of the group.

I have no problem with private unions, a company can choose to deal with them or not, they can demand more and more and more until the cows come home and they'll eventually bankrupt the company because revenue is a limited commodity. The same is not true with taxes. The system gets bullied into more and more concessions and eventually puts another levy on the ballot. They then bully the taxpayer because If it fails they make sure to cut the things that directly impact the taxpayer like bussing, extra programs, sports etc. It's not like the public education system can give the union the bird, file bankruptcy to shed themselves of the burden, and then reopen without the union as Hostess did. It's a giant fraudulent shithole of a system where despite falling education levels the price per student has increased dramatically and the taxpayer who is funding a public service continues to get screwed. I say that to say this however, the massive amounts of waste and abuse does not lay at the feet of the teachers, or even the union. Mismanagement of taxpayer dollars exists at all levels. The whole system is one giant money pit of crappy returns. This COVID situation is going to massively increase the availability of private and online education opportunities, especially virtual and remote education.
It all sounds good until you are on a 10 year pay freeze making 30k, being forced to work unpaid hours in an area where the cost of living is through the roof. Im lucky I bought a foreclosure for 65k and my house payment was like 450 a month- referring to NC and other right to work states in the south

Last edited:
My wife got a call from a friend today asking questions about the virtual school the school district is creating. Basically her family intends to take full advantage of the situation and picking and choosing when they will send their kids to school out of convenience and not because of fear of covid. This type of stuff is what will drive teachers and administrators crazy.

Snyder10

My wife got a call from a friend today asking questions about the virtual school the school district is creating. Basically her family intends to take full advantage of the situation and picking and choosing when they will send their kids to school out of convenience and not because of fear of covid. This type of stuff is what will drive teachers and administrators crazy.
Yep, it’s going to be ugly

Bowkills

Nw oh
My wife's a principle at a Indiana private school. This shit is changing every freaking day meeting after meeting with the state/county health boards etc.....our personal community (church and school) is pushing for 5 days no masks hard! back to normal. It's being met with tons of resistance from the top. Get this shitstorm over with. These parents will withdraw their kids if virtual learning is implemented off the bat or not going 5 days.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio
My father in-law taught 30yrs. My dad taught 43. I don't disrespect teachers. I get where both sides are coming from. Add in the crap they were dealing with pre-Covid. Add in the change in attitude of kids over the years. Union stuff can be positive at times, although I've not really heard of a great number of positives in recent years.

Yesterday I saw an ad on FB. Not sure why as it was for Westerville area. In search of a retired teacher or out of work teacher. They were looking for an independent contractor to teach 4-6 kids. $500/mo/kid. So $2-3k a month. This can be good or bad. Find the right teacher and it would be golden. Find a turd and you set your kid back. We will leave the pros and cons of socializing with other kids out of the equation. I find it intriguing they are considering this. Suddenly a teacher becomes an independent contractor. What does this do to already shaky school systems?

"J"

Bass fishing aficionado....
Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
Our DIL is a special Ed teacher in SC. Real shitshow as of now. No consensus either way currently. Teachers want back in full time in classrooms but administrators are too wishy washy..... Too much politics involved....

Yep, it’s going to be ugly
My wife's a principle at a Indiana private school. This shit is changing every freaking day meeting after meeting with the state/county health boards etc.....our personal community (church and school) is pushing for 5 days no masks hard! back to normal. It's being met with tons of resistance from the top. Get this shitstorm over with. These parents will withdraw their kids if virtual learning is implemented off the bat or not going 5 days.....
additional rant-
Thats what my wife and I recommended to my wifes friend. We said "go with k-12 virtual, she said "oh I don't want it to be that hard" ,so you want to leave your children enrolled in public school because its an easy virtual curriculum because public schools are designed to teach at public schools not virtual. And you don't want to be a responsible adult because school is inconvenient for you even though you are a stay at home mom. So, Doesn't want to be inconvenienced with taking kids to school, doesnt want to home school herself or use k12 (too much work), wants the school to provide moderately easy online curriculum that can be done at her convenience. --fuggin unbelievable, I wonder how many out there are scheming like this