Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Teachers not going back to school.

Jamie

Licking Co.
This whole kung flu virus has turned in to one hell of a political dumpster fire.

I personally can not see one reason why kids are not going back to school five days a week. Teachers should be ashamed! So many kids are going to fall through the cracks. Not one person under the age of 22 has died in Ohio from the kung flu.

Dewine the White Rhino just said daycares could return to full capacity. Yet schools can stay closed.

As of right now where my kid goes they are scheduled for five days a week. Public schools here are scheduled for 4 days a week. I’m sure that’s all going to change.

This is a total crock of shat!! Last I saw in Florida not one person under 17 had died from Kung flu.

Saw Columbus was closing all work done at home. Well how bout people that don’t have the Internet?

Anyhow just wondered people’s thoughts on this issue. As well as what other people’s local schools are doing.
teachers and their pathetic unions have no authority in the process of deciding how the districts run. all of this in squarely on the school boards as they ultimately make the decisions. the unions can recommend whatever they want, but it's all for show. has anyone seen any instances of all teachers in any district refusing to go back to school to do their jobs over this?

another thing to consider here is that it makes the most sense to me that elementary and middle school age kids, say k-8 need to be back in their classrooms more than high school age kids. high schoolers can obviously do more for themselves with less immediate adult supervision.

public schools are a nanny service, Floki. they'll make sure every student has a free computer and free internet access to go along with their free day care, free meals, free transportation, free whatever their parents should, but don't, provide. all while claiming to be broke because they have to pay those greedy goddamned teachers so much. it's farcical.

Floki

My father in-law taught 30yrs. My dad taught 43. I don't disrespect teachers. I get where both sides are coming from. Add in the crap they were dealing with pre-Covid. Add in the change in attitude of kids over the years. Union stuff can be positive at times, although I've not really heard of a great number of positives in recent years.

Yesterday I saw an ad on FB. Not sure why as it was for Westerville area. In search of a retired teacher or out of work teacher. They were looking for an independent contractor to teach 4-6 kids. $500/mo/kid. So $2-3k a month. This can be good or bad. Find the right teacher and it would be golden. Find a turd and you set your kid back. We will leave the pros and cons of socializing with other kids out of the equation. I find it intriguing they are considering this. Suddenly a teacher becomes an independent contractor. What does this do to already shaky school systems?
I’m not sure how this discussion can leave out the pros and cons of kids socializing with other kids.I believe it’s right up there with learning. They both are hand in hand both are number 1 in my mind.

"J"

Bass fishing aficionado....
Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
I believe the K-8 kids would have a bigger chance getting injured on the way too and from school vs the Rona affecting them above and beyond a bad flu case they’d experience..... Just my .02 on it....

Floki

teachers and their pathetic unions have no authority in the process of deciding how the districts run. all of this in squarely on the school boards as they ultimately make the decisions. the unions can recommend whatever they want, but it's all for show. has anyone seen any instances of all teachers in any district refusing to go back to school to do their jobs over this?

another thing to consider here is that it makes the most sense to me that elementary and middle school age kids, say k-8 need to be back in their classrooms more than high school age kids. high schoolers can obviously do more for themselves with less immediate adult supervision.

public schools are a nanny service, Floki. they'll make sure every student has a free computer and free internet access to go along with their free day care, free meals, free transportation, free whatever their parents should, but don't, provide. all while claiming to be broke because they have to pay those greedy goddamned teachers so much. it's farcical.
Very well put. My kid goes to private school here. They just pushed the start date back a month. If I was listening to my wife. 😂 I’d say they had ample time to be on top of this. Seeing Kungflu is not effecting kids. I’m sure his school will now drop to four days a week to do what local schools are doing. I hope not. Last year when school stopped,in March the way things were ran was a disappointment.

If they have not put a better plan in place I would also try to network with parents to hire a teacher. I’m not willing to pay the bill to go to school pick up homework go home bring back in two weeks drop a check wash rinse repeat. To have a couple zoom meetings so kids can pick their nose stare at each other and teacher read a chapter from a book.

I really have no clue here how they even begin to think virtual class room. We have a jet pack can not get internet from any major carriers here. Out here in the boonies the infrastructure just isn’t in place to do virtual. Wife is working from home. Uses jet pack for work. It’s constantly in and out and your most definitely not running more than one thing at a time. It’s a mess.

Also I would guess fifty percent of population here and a lot of other places,well maybe not fifty percent but......... A good percentage of people don’t even have a damn computer and would t even begin to know how to turn one on. When I took my kid to school and day care back when things were normal. I saw atleast 1/3 of the kids being took care of by grandparents..

Someone posted a meme here in this discussion. About essential workers grocery store workers etc. Would love love love to see these teachers on the news be asked if they go to the grocery store,to get a hair cut, etc etc.. Well how could you possibly do that your putting kids at risk. Maybe you should stay home never leave and pay for goods to be brought to you. You know practice what ya preach type shit..

Snyder10

Very well put. My kid goes to private school here. They just pushed the start date back a month. If I was listening to my wife. 😂 I’d say they had ample time to be on top of this. Seeing Kungflu is not effecting kids. I’m sure his school will now drop to four days a week to do what local schools are doing. I hope not. Last year when school stopped,in March the way things were ran was a disappointment.

If they have not put a better plan in place I would also try to network with parents to hire a teacher. I’m not willing to pay the bill to go to school pick up homework go home bring back in two weeks drop a check wash rinse repeat. To have a couple zoom meetings so kids can pick their nose stare at each other and teacher read a chapter from a book.

I really have no clue here how they even begin to think virtual class room. We have a jet pack can not get internet from any major carriers here. Out here in the boonies the infrastructure just isn’t in place to do virtual. Wife is working from home. Uses jet pack for work. It’s constantly in and out and your most definitely not running more than one thing at a time. It’s a mess.

Also I would guess fifty percent of population here and a lot of other places,well maybe not fifty percent but......... A good percentage of people don’t even have a damn computer and would t even begin to know how to turn one on. When I took my kid to school and day care back when things were normal. I saw atleast 1/3 of the kids being took care of by grandparents..

Someone posted a meme here in this discussion. About essential workers grocery store workers etc. Would love love love to see these teachers on the news be asked if they go to the grocery store,to get a hair cut, etc etc.. Well how could you possibly do that your putting kids at risk. Maybe you should stay home never leave and pay for goods to be brought to you. You know practice what ya preach type shit..
Again, where the hell do you guys live that teachers are doing this?! Because I want to be sure to never apply there if I ever need to.

Floki

Again, where the hell do you guys live that teachers are doing this?! Because I want to be sure to never apply there if I ever need to.
I would say you should look across the whole country. Anywhere where kids are not going to school 5 days a week and starting on time not a month after start date. You should check out.

Like I said some schools want universal health care before going back. Its all absurd goes from crazy to straight bat shit crazy across the USA.

Check out Columbus schools..

https://www.thisweeknews.com/news/2...chools-students-will-start-2020-21-100-remote

Guernsey public schools starting late plans for 4 day a week school week. Obviously because the number five is just unlucky.😂😂

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The entire education model is going to change from top to bottom. It'll be interesting to see how schools will continue to justify their operating levy when students are virtual and the workweek has been shortened. I'm personally of the opinion that if it's going to go virtual it should be pre-recorded and have a proctor assigned to multiple classes to answer question and grade assignments. I'm also a firm believer in open choice funding where a parent can receive a voucher equal to that student's funding to enroll in the school of their choice.

Jamie

Licking Co.
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm betting that a year from now, things will be back to normal. according to my teacher wife, the state of Ohio already has a voucher program.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm betting that a year from now, things will be back to normal. according to my teacher wife, the state of Ohio already has a voucher program.
The only thing really preventing it now is the babysitting aspect of it. Parents already had find alternate care methods. The only thing left is connecting the education and funding that isn't out of pocket.

The voucher program today is actually called a "scholarship" and its limited to 60,000 students from select public schools, typically low income schools and disadvantaged students. It's an application process that's capped at $4,600 per year for k-8 and $6,000 for 9-12. It's more of a disadvantaged student and diversity program than an open choice education model.

The entire education model is going to change from top to bottom. It'll be interesting to see how schools will continue to justify their operating levy when students are virtual and the workweek has been shortened. I'm personally of the opinion that if it's going to go virtual it should be pre-recorded and have a proctor assigned to multiple classes to answer question and grade assignments. I'm also a firm believer in open choice funding where a parent can receive a voucher equal to that student's funding to enroll in the school of their choice.
I think that they are forgetting that in March Dewine forced schools to shut down, we had no choice. Again our two week set back was basically done by the Health department. Teachers and unions have little do with the school week, we just get to vote on the recommendation and make the best of whatever circumstances we are presented.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
its bullshit. I'm a high school counselor and I want to go back. I ask these teachers to justify why they don't want to return....of course it's the usual shit about not wanting to catch it and spread it. So I ask them...why are you any better than your grocery cashier, your Hair stylist, your Amazon warehouse worker? You think the education and socialization of children...the future of our country ...is less important than your haircut, your Amazon shit, your groceries? I guess education is nonessential. Pathetic.
I’m with you. I’m guidance at our high school as well. We should’ve never shut down in the first place! I’m still pissed we lost our spring semester and spring sports.

I hear teachers being worried. I call bullshit. These same teachers have been to the beach and everywhere else.

Let’s get back to work.

Not trying to take this personal even though its my families sole source of income, but couldnt disagree with you more. ECOT basically assured that I will have a job for my entire career. To many IEP students, our societies idea of an adult is changing yearly soon Ohio will be 18 to drive, I see 21 being a legal adult coming in the next 20 years, state and federal governments are actually increasing class requirements, it wouldnt surprise me if we don't see a 13th year in our life time. Do I agree with everything I am typing right now,???...No, but this is the road our society is going down, Canada already has 13th year and the "18 years old strap the boots and go to work and live on your on own" is becoming harder and rarer. I am Not even going get into the accountability issues with e-learning. E-learing will always be a mixed with actual learning in the classroom with a few choosing to home school or use virtual school competely. If anything I think the virus has shown a large percentage of families how important going to school is for social and physical health.

Last edited:

"J"

Bass fishing aficionado....
Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
I’m with you. I’m guidance at our high school as well. We should’ve never shut down in the first place! I’m still pissed we lost our spring semester and spring sports.

I hear teachers being worried. I call bullshit. These same teachers have been to the beach and everywhere else.

Let’s get back to work.
Amen, I’m of the same mentality..... Keep the politics outta it....

Snyder10

I would say you should look across the whole country. Anywhere where kids are not going to school 5 days a week and starting on time not a month after start date. You should check out.

Like I said some schools want universal health care before going back. Its all absurd goes from crazy to straight bat shit crazy across the USA.

Check out Columbus schools..

https://www.thisweeknews.com/news/2...chools-students-will-start-2020-21-100-remote

Guernsey public schools starting late plans for 4 day a week school week. Obviously because the number five is just unlucky.😂😂
Oh yea I’d agree with that, I’m just saying don’t lump us all together because what the big city schools are doing. This year is a lose-lose honestly, it’s sad for everyone

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not trying to take this personal even though its my families sole source of income, but couldnt disagree with you more. ECOT basically assured that I will have a job for my entire career. To many IEP students, our societies idea of an adult is changing yearly soon Ohio will be 18 to drive, I see 21 being a legal adult coming in the next 20 years, state and federal governments are actually increasing class requirements, it wouldnt surprise me if we don't see a 13th year in our life time. Do I agree with everything I am typing right now,???...No, but this is the road our society is going down, Canada already has 13th year and the "18 years old strap the boots and go to work and live on your on own" is becoming harder and rarer. I am Not even going get into the accountability issues with e-learning. E-learing will always be a mixed with actual learning in the classroom with a few choosing to home school or use virtual school competely. If anything I think the virus has shown a large percentage of families how important going to school is for social and physical health.
ECOT was a shitshow from day 1. As a non-tuition online program it also became the dumping ground for dropout at-risk kids that the school system did not want to deal with, those that had attendance issues, and court-mandated juveniles. It became the well we can't get them to come to school so let's make them go online. Or they've been expelled from every school in the district so their only option is online. That's different than private schools with tuition where students pay but also receive a tuition voucher for their portion of public education funding. I would love to see what would happen if the DOE audited actual attendance in schools and demanded taxpayer refunds like they did ECOT. My niece failed every single class her senior year and attended maybe once a week and they still graduated her. And this was a school that boasts a 97% graduation rate and is rated an A by the state. 🙄.

Everything in this world has changed with the times, online shopping, self check out, the largest taxi company doesn't own a single taxi, the largest lodging company doesn't own a single hotel, groceries from a local supermarket delivered to your home, online college classes. A private company has had more advancements in space than NASA did in 40 years and now NASA uses them. Yet our primary education system still insists on taxpayer-funded brick and mortar schools where on average in Ohio 80% of funding goes to staff salaries and benefits and education quality is slipping year after year and the only real solution they come up with is common core math. Among the top 71 developed nations, our competency in math and science doesn't even crack the top 25 most years. 38 and 24 respectively. Our math competency has fallen below average for the world. Yes, below average of the entire world. The US is also quickly losing its status as a premier college education nation.

Something has to change. Something should change. 200+ million dollar levis to build new schools with marble floors in the entranceway with inlaid school mascots, sandstone columns, and ipads for every student isn't it.

Last edited:
ECOT was a shitshow from day 1. As a non-tuition online program it also became the dumping ground for dropout at-risk kids that the school system did not want to deal with, those that had attendance issues, and court-mandated juveniles. It became the well we can't get them to come to school so let's make them go online. Or they've been expelled from every school in the district so their only option is online. That's different than private schools with tuition where students pay but also receive a tuition voucher for their portion of public education funding. I would love to see what would happen if the DOE audited actual attendance in schools and demanded taxpayer refunds like they did ECOT. My niece failed every single class her senior year and attended maybe once a week and they still graduated her. And this was a school that boasts a 97% graduation rate and is rated an A by the state. 🙄.

Everything in this world has changed with the times, online shopping, self check out, the largest taxi company doesn't own a single taxi, the largest lodging company doesn't own a single hotel, groceries from a local supermarket delivered to your home, online college classes. A private company has had more advancements in space than NASA did in 40 years and now NASA uses them. Yet our primary education system still insists on taxpayer-funded brick and mortar schools where on average in Ohio 80% of funding goes to staff salaries and benefits and education quality is slipping year after year and the only real solution they come up with is common core math. Among the top 71 developed nations, our competency in math and science doesn't even crack the top 25 most years. 38 and 24 respectively. Our math competency has fallen below average for the world. Yes, below average of the entire world. The US is also quickly losing its status as a premier college education nation.

Something has to change. Something should change. 200+ million dollar levis to build new schools with marble floors in the entranceway with inlaid school mascots, sandstone columns, and ipads for every student isn't it.
I'm not disagreeing with some of things your saying, but education is sort like the cure for cancer, a lot people will be out of jobs if either one would ever happen, so more than likely it will never happen. When kids miss school the school district is required to report them, etc. etc. most school districts in Ohio outside of the major city do a good job with this, as for graduation I have no idea how long ago your niece graduated, but students are now required to pass so many state exams and meet competency score standards. I am guessing your niece either graduated last year where they passed everyone (covid free pass) or she graduated before Ohio graduation requirements had changed. ECOT and virtual schools were initially created for advanced students to work at their own pace and advance quickly, but this changed and did become a dumping ground like you said. Comparing the United States students as a whole to others is not really fair because we have this little thing called "FAPE" meaning we educate everyone. If we were to compare our top 10 percent v. any other country we are right there if not better, we just have 330 million people and everyone must receive a free and appropriate public education. As for college our shit has been watered down for a long time, we have way to many kids going to colleges, its the biggest scam going in america currently. This is why corporations, industries, etc. now require licence exam, additional testing, corporate classes etc.- getting a college degree has basically become a worthless piece of paper. All that being said none of that will be fixed by kids sitting at home in front of computer for 5 to 6 hours a day. Most people are not wired to do that. I will also say that our current students' computer skills are getting worse, kids ability to type at our school has gotten worse. A persons ability to navigate a smart phone and computer are two completely different things, I am going to guess that home computer ownership has decreased from 2015 to 2020 with the popularity/access too smart phones ( i didnt really look for any data). In conclusion I just don't see e-learning as the dominate education practice in the U.S

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm not disagreeing with some of things your saying, but education is sort like the cure for cancer, a lot people will be out of jobs if either one would ever happen, so more than likely it will never happen. When kids miss school the school district is required to report them, etc. etc. most school districts in Ohio outside of the major city do a good job with this, as for graduation I have no idea how long ago your niece graduated, but students are now required to pass so many state exams and meet competency score standards. I am guessing your niece either graduated last year where they passed everyone (covid free pass) or she graduated before Ohio graduation requirements had changed. ECOT and virtual schools were initially created for advanced students to work at their own pace and advance quickly, but this changed and did become a dumping ground like you said. Comparing the United States students as a whole to others is not really fair because we have this little thing called "FAPE" meaning we educate everyone. If we were to compare our top 10 percent v. any other country we are right there if not better, we just have 330 million people and everyone must receive a free and appropriate public education. As for college our shit has been watered down for a long time, we have way to many kids going to colleges, its the biggest scam going in america currently. This is why corporations, industries, etc. now require licence exam, additional testing, corporate classes etc.- getting a college degree has basically become a worthless piece of paper. All that being said none of that will be fixed by kids sitting at home in front of computer for 5 to 6 hours a day. Most people are not wired to do that. I will also say that our current students' computer skills are getting worse, kids ability to type at our school has gotten worse. A persons ability to navigate a smart phone and computer are two completely different things, I am going to guess that home computer ownership has decreased from 2015 to 2020 with the popularity/access too smart phones ( i didnt really look for any data). In conclusion I just don't see e-learning as the dominate education practice in the U.S
She graduated the year before last. And travis was a year before that and a similar story. The school can cook the books if they need to.

As long as public education continues to be a government ran union back establishment what I mentioned likely won't happen, as it stifles change and promotes inefficiency. E-learning doesn't have to be 100% at home. It can also be in class with a proctor. It would make much more sense to pre-record lessons than do them live thousands of times across the state. Then they can even be distributed to kids on SD cards who don't have high-speed internet. The same pre-recorded can also be used in a classroom setting with a proctor. Every 8th-grade history class in the state would be the same lesson, same day, taught to the same standard. Live chat or video available on-demand for more advanced questions that the class or proctor would have. Standardize 4 versions of quizzes and tests to be taken online and graded elsewhere.

Abeka is a private Christian school curriculum produced by Pensacola Christian college for k4 -12 that is a similar model. Originally created for homeschool it's been expanded to private Christian schools. I know as I did just that for high school. In school classes but recorded lessons. Tests, exams, and assignments we're mail in back then but online today. I haven't looked recently but the education standard was the equivalent of advanced classes or +2 grades compared to public school back then.

The point is it can be improved and efficiencies found in both the process and expense.

For the world ranking I forget the body that does it but it's like the UN or something. The testing is random and mixed throughout the country to get a diverse sample. While countries like China have demand career education where a child who scores good on tests is told they're going to be an engineer, but most of the countries that beat us don't. Pretty much all of the EU kicks our ass in math and science.