Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 10

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I will mostly be on my farm out back in the 2 pastures here in Butler County. I will try and put one down with a Rem 1100 shotgun then may try my bow. I lost my friends property when he sold out last month.
I plan to hunt alot just so it doesn't take away from my deer food plot planting time.
Good luck.

themedic

OHIO
Ive got three farms good turkey hunting. I hope to get my first tom with a bow ever and then see where I'm at with the season. I would also try to try to kill one turkey reaper style. I have a couple turkey hunts booked, so that may lesson my personal hunt time.

Big H

Medina
Checking in, I will be hunting Jefferson County, and possibly Licking County. Not sure how much I will be able to get out, I only made it to the woods 3 times last year. I am usually good for a bird or two though....

Big H

Medina
Checking in, I will be hunting Jefferson County, and possibly Licking and/or Ashtabula County. Not sure how much I will be able to get out, I only made it to the woods 3 times last year. I am usually good for a bird or two though....

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got some Youth points for the team with a Tom down this morning with my g
randson.

Last edited:

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Finally made it out all day today. I got up at 5:00AM went outside with the gobbler call and after several tries nothing.
Walked down to the bottom pasture all of 150 yds and heard a gooble in my woods beside where I'm setup to hunt. Set the decoys out and in my blind at 6:05. The gobbling went on about 150 yds away every couple minutes until 6:30 then silence. Never heard another sound until 12:00 noon when I quit.
We had a hard frost last night. At 8:00 when the sun peeked over the woods and shined on my blind it started steaming. The steam rooled into the blind and I could just bairly see my woods about 150 yds away through the mist. 15 minutes it was over. The great outdoors.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I was out before 6:00 this morning. I had 3 differant Toms gobbling 2-5 times per minute up till 7:00 the silence. I did hear one gobble about 400 yds east of me. There is a power line there and a 30 ac. hay field but no hunting allowed.
I quit at 11:30 and when I got to my 2nd pasture there was a lone hen about 80 yds out feeding. The 2nd blind was right there and I figured I had 30 minutes left but she heard me taking my decoy backback off and away she ran.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I went out again today. They have been roosting just South of my woods where I have my hunting tower. So I figured I would hunt out of the tower. I no more than get into the tower at 6:15 and two are gobbling about 3-400 yds South of me. They sounded off till about 7:00 then silence.
A hen started clucking about 75 yds away alone the fence line. Just didn't sound right and it never moved in 5 hrs. It had to be my neighbor or his friend setup.
A hen walked through at 9:00 but nothing followed her. I quit at 12:00 noon. Put my decoys away. I put my safety vest on and stayed away from the fence row and walked the woods looking for mushrooms and found none.
I got back to my 2nd pasture and blind and again there are 2 hens feeding about 100 yds out but no Tom but season was over anyway.

Big H

Medina
Made it out yesterday am, heard a few birds on the roost, and then the FOG rolled in. After making a few different set-ups and not being able to get anything going, I threw some cuts down into a valley at 11:30 and got an answer. He was quite a ways in there, so I tried to cut the distance and he shut up. I made another move, back to where I had originally got him to answer at 11:45 and got another gobble. I looked at my watch and thought "not enough time left". Long story short, at 11:55, I saw him step out of the brush at 80 yards, look around and when I clucked and purred at him, he marched straight up the hill to me. I was sure this was a longbeard, since he was gobbling so hard and sounded like a mature bird. So when he finally came out from behind a tree at 10 yards at 11:58, I almost killed him, and then I saw the stubbly beard!! A freaking jake! Oh well, it was exciting. BTW, I let him walk...

Last edited:

themedic

OHIO
Its been a trying week for me. Lots of gobbling but cant seem to get in the right position. Try again in tomorrow on a farm i got a gobble on Saturday mid-morning.

Big H

Medina
I shot one this morning. 10 1/4" beard 1" spurs. Won't be able to post anything for a couple days since I don't have a computer down here. I am planning on hitting it in the am, they were lonely this morning and very vocal.

themedic

OHIO
I shot one this morning. 10 1/4" beard 1" spurs. Won't be able to post anything for a couple days since I don't have a computer down here. I am planning on hitting it in the am, they were lonely this morning and very vocal.

Sweet! That's gotta be putting us at a good score. Congrats!

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Congrats on the birds.
I got shunked. At least I brought some youth points in with the grandson's bird. That was fun as it's his last year as a youth. But at least grandpa could have gotten one.
Strange year as the birds here never gobbled after hitting the ground.
I did put in 18 hrs and only seen hens and no Toms after the grandson Tom. I pulled the 2 blinds today and maybe this fall since we will have a Fall Season here for the first time. I probably could have shot 50 last fall during deer season.