Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 7

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Whatsup Team 7. Just checking in.

Mike- Weren't we on the same team last year or was that the deer contest? Can't remember. lol

Looking good from what I see. I am probably the weak link given I am in a low turkey density area. I have them hit and miss on my property. Hoping they show up during season. One other property there are more of them and they show with more regularity. Last year they disappeared a couple weeks prior to season starting. One other property with a long shot chance of seeing them. For my area, to have 3 potential properties is actually pretty good. Some of my buddies have none on any of their properties.

Looking forward to it again. If you don't know me, my name is Phil.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Hi Phil!

I'm hoping that I can just walk over and pick up a dead turkey instead of having to tackle a run away this spring.

Giddy up

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes we were on the same team last year. Just added pics of my son's turkey from this morning. Wildest and fastest hunt ever!

Cool! I will go read it. Not looking good for me so far. I did see a hen out in the field a couple nights ago and again today around 1pm on a property I hunt. Unfortunately, the next four days have me getting kids off to school and off the bus. Not good. Trying to cover the mowing in 2 counties tomorrow as well. Maybe by Friday and the weekend I can get after it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good news: Had to replace a sight on my shotgun since last season. I shot it today and got it where I want it. Later on I put some miles on the Honda and saw 2 toms within about 1/8th mile of one of my spots.

Bad news: I will be working tomorrow and I fully anticipate a bunch of renegade trespassing douche bags running thru the area in the morning. If they don't hunt it I am hoping the toms roost in a close place and I might get a chance to hunt Tuesday morning.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Life has been busy all week. I was so exhausted I did not make it out this morning. Ended up working all day until we had to attend my wife's best friend's birthday party. Oh how joyous to watch a bunch of obnoxious drunks you don't know while sipping a Pepsi. (Somebody has to drive home.) Now it is midnight. Dog is fed. Wood burner filled up. Catching up on TOO. Trying to figure out how I am going to wake up at 430.

Turkeys? Nothing roosted. No real high hopes. I have seen two solo hens off and on over the last few weeks. Some joker has been hunting right on the property line by my property nearly every day this week so I am going to try one of my other properties where I have permission. It is a bit of a long shot as I really haven't seen any toms out there like I did last year. I am pretty much going in blind hoping some of the hens I saw over the summer and last fall are itching to be bred. Sooner or later there will be a tom or two in there looking for her (my solo hen). I am sure there are others in there, I just haven't seen them lately. Wish me luck.

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
Good luck man, we hunted till noon yesterday. Herd 4 gobbles all day. Had a large tom held up at 50 yards and wouldnt come any closer. Thats hunting. I just wish the birds would start gobbling.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Just got back from a family vacation, gonna see if this week has time to slip out. Fingers crossed I can get a few hours & a little luck.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I had an improvement over last season. Today I saw three turkeys. No vocal responses but at least they are on the property. Saw them several hundred yards away in a field. Ducked down, crossed the creek and followed along the west side of the creek. Creek isn't real wide, but there is woods on either side of it out 30-50yds between the fields. So with them on east side of creek in the field, I did my best to gain ground on the west side of the creek. Long story short, I think they heard me making a ruckus crossing the creek again. lol

What can I say? I tried to make something happen. My time is limited as is my experience. You need to learn somehow. Sometimes screwing up is the best way. Not sure if they were hens or toms anyway. Was just trying to get closer.