Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tennessee Thunder 2019

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
The boys and I are looking into a weekend turkey hunt in Cherokee national forest in Tennessee next month. From what I’ve read it’s rugged terrain with sporadic public land turkeys but not a lot of pressure. Sounds like the perfect place for a Sasquatch Custom Calls pot call.
Anyone got any tips, hints or suggestions for that area?

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Keep after them all day the last 4 ive killed down there have been after 1 oclock. Ive hunted alot of the public around cherokee lake. And if you drive the lake bottoms and see one you can get after them. They have had alot of rain and the water is a little higher than normal so im not sure how that will work. We have killed more birds by just staying at it and ambushing them than calling them in off the roost. Alot of areas are rough climbing and it seems like the turkeys are always at the top.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Keep after them all day the last 4 ive killed down there have been after 1 oclock. Ive hunted alot of the public around cherokee lake. And if you drive the lake bottoms and see one you can get after them. They have had alot of rain and the water is a little higher than normal so im not sure how that will work. We have killed more birds by just staying at it and ambushing them than calling them in off the roost. Alot of areas are rough climbing and it seems like the turkeys are always at the top.

We are planning to stay after them all day. We are driving down on Thursday and back home Sunday evening. Thanks for the info.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
My buddy found a logging road they hit every morning hope they stay their a few more weeks.

Attachments

• 10389.jpeg
    10389.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 435
  • 10394.jpeg
    10394.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 412
The boys and I are looking into a weekend turkey hunt in Cherokee national forest in Tennessee next month. From what I’ve read it’s rugged terrain with sporadic public land turkeys but not a lot of pressure. Sounds like the perfect place for a Sasquatch Custom Calls pot call.
Anyone got any tips, hints or suggestions for that area?

How expensive are the licenses?

Isaacorps

Columbus
I kicked around KY and TN this weekend thinking about hunting elsewhere. Doubt I end up going, so I'll be following along with you! Good luck down there.
I’m planning on doing Kentucky opener this year. I’ve got a campground reserved, just need to buy license and tags. Which, I guess that still gives me the chance to back out lol. License will still be good come deer season if I’m feeling like a return trip, will just need to buy a tag. First time doing anything like this, I’m pretty stoked!

I have no expectations of killing 4 birds. I will have enough ammo for that many but will feel very fortunate if we just hear some birds.

Yes that would be ambitious for 4 birds in 4 days in strange country. :ROFLMAO:

Just was thinking that would be nice if you ever decided to go for a week. No issues of tagging out the 1st day and then having nothing to hunt.

Reactions: Spencie

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I like KY alot . Been there a couple times and always carried birds out .

Unfortunately I won't get down there this yr early . But once we get tags filled in Ohio may head down for the end of KY season.

Reactions: Isaacorps

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I have no expectations of killing 4 birds. I will have enough ammo for that many but will feel very fortunate if we just hear some birds.
you will hear them, now they might be 2 or 3 ridges over thats usually how it works for me when im there. i buy the year license just because i have a place to go down and deer hunt with my buddies also and since they added the early velvet hunt i get to go back more now.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Spencie and Bigten Good Luck and have safe enjoyable trips.... Looking forward to seeing some pics of limbhangers...

Reactions: cspot and Spencie

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Heres another one. My buddy had to climb in the blind because he was listening for birds and had them fly into the food plot said there was 62 birds and only 2 toms. I told him they need to shoot some hens in the fall and he said they changed it to only toms in the fall also. We figured out were gonna have to hunt the hens on this farm to get on the gobblers. Id say they wont leave those hens much

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190315-082934_Snapchat.jpg
    Screenshot_20190315-082934_Snapchat.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 373

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Birds are still around down there. Might be a few less this weekend when the youth hunters get done. Ill head down late next thursday and get some scouting done before the opener. Was also invited to ky to hunt a farm with a guy he says its loaded so if the moneys right ill be there on opening day to.

Attachments

• 11025.jpeg
    11025.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 11017.jpeg
    11017.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 343

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Another update. Gonna be some long boring sits if its gonna go like youth weekend did. They said no gobbling and the weather sucked. But cams show lone gobblers moving around at mid day.

Attachments

• 11136.jpeg
    11136.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 336

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
As of yesterday here are some of the updates ive got. Birds arent realy split up much. The picture on the road is going into a new place we can hunt. My bags are packed and will be heading out early in the morning. What time are you heading that way spencie? Sorry to high jack your thread a little just figured id post some updates to get everyone fired up.

Attachments

• 11206.jpeg
    11206.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 11210.jpeg
    11210.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 342
  • 11211.jpeg
    11211.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 414
Reactions: MoonLab