Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The 102 2018

Spencie

Fleming
This is my 2018 thread devoted to our 102 acres in Athens County. We decided to plant Soybeans in one of the plots this year. We started by brushhogging a couple weeks ago and then spraying after that. Today, after struggling to get up the hill because of all the rain, we were able to disc, fertilize, till, seed and cover the one acre plot. We even created a second watering hole in this plot. As bad as the day started it turned out great. The other half acre plot on top will be turnips. We have a one acre clover plot in the bottom.

We will probably overseed the beans with a fall plot once the leaves turn yellow. The beans will be left standing.

Soybean plot
IMG_2218.jpg

giles

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lost
If the deer let it go to pod. Which I don’t see as a bad thing, because that means the deer are eating it!

Did you cage any off the see the difference? I’ve never done anything like this, but if I was to, I’d want to see the difference in the growth.

Spencie

Fleming
I will put a seclusion fence up when it starts to grow.
From what I’ve read...take that however you want....the RWWP beans are supposed to produce more bean pods than eagle seeds and also be shatter resistant so they will last longer into the late season.

Iowa_Buckeye

Linn County Iowa
Wonder why farmers aren't planting RWWP beans if they are better then regular old Pioneer and/or Monsanto???
Don't fall for the marketing Spencie!!! Farmers depend on the best engineered beans for bushel/acre, and disease/drought/shatter resistance for their lively-hood.

The 'bin beans' we plant every year produce hoards of pods and hole them through winter (what are left anyhow.....).

Save your beer money!!! :D:ROFLMAO::p

Spencie

Fleming
Eagle is for forage. These are more for late season.
I get what you are saying IB. I think they mean more shatter resistant in cold weather. Farmers typically have harvested long before then.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The Eagle managers mix contains four different types of beans. They are a forage heavy bean but produce plenty of pods into the late season too. I'm looking forward to hearing how these RWWP beans work out for you! The Eagles are great (way better than standard ag beans IMO) but they sure are expensive.

"J"

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Columbiana County
The Eagle managers mix contains four different types of beans. They are a forage heavy bean but produce plenty of pods into the late season too. I'm looking forward to hearing how these RWWP beans work out for you! The Eagles are great (way better than standard ag beans IMO) but they sure are expensive.
What would be the cost difference per acre Jim?

Spencie

Fleming
Even though this plot is on top of the ridge there are areas that hold water. When we first created the plot we used the tractor bucket to dig out a low lying area. It stays full of water. It’s about 10’ x 10’ and 2’ deep. There’s another spot that holds water and doesn’t allow good growth so we dug it out too. It’s about 2 feet deep and 8’ x 8’.