Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The better than sex smoked brisket.🤔👀

Floki

39C93EAC-DA28-41DE-807E-363BD04D6CDD.jpeg
So the rub was applied last night.TheHickory chips have been soaking since yesterday. The beer is prepped.

This is my first attempt at Brisket. Pretty stoked to see how it turns out.
I’m also going to be doing a smoked deviled egg with jalapeños bacon and sharp cheddar. Also my first attempt at this.
I’m hoping it turns out atleast as well as the first time I had sex. Hopefully a little better. 🤣We shall see..

I’m contemplating putting in a water pan as well. Any thoughts? Here is the recipe I am going to be following.

https://grillgirl.com/2013/01/better-than-sex-brisket-recipe/

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I have only done 4 briskets, so I am far from an expert!! But make sure you take your time and don't rush it. It makes it worth it in the end! The water pan won't hurt, it will help keep it moist. I always include a little water pan in my smoker for anything I smoke. Make sure you keep us posted through out the process and we need a finished pic and a finally a review !!! Good luck!

Reactions: Floki

Jamie

Ohio
brisket is probably my most favorite thing to make in the smoker. the best ones I've done I took to about 160* or so in smoker, and finished in tightly covered aluminum pan in 225 degree oven. I take mine to around 200*+, letting the meat tell me when it's tender enough to be "done" by how easily my instant read thermometer slides into the brisket. often they aren't "done" until they hit 210*. this also provides some wonderful au jus. make sure and let that baby rest in a cooler for a while after you call it done. dang, I got brisket on the brain now. might need to run to the butcher shop today...

Floki

9FE7EC8A-7810-4927-9336-B708924E5937.jpeg
It’s on,been about a half hour. Everything is going great so far steady temp etc. Definitely going way better than the first time I had sex... lol definitely been on longer as well..🤣🤣😝🤣

Thanks for all the information fellas. Jamie pretty much everything you said is right on que with what the recipe calls for..

I’ll definitely keep y’all updated.. Defines not gonna rush it. There is beer to be drank..🤙🏻

Floki

Thanks moon, so quick question. It says to pull off at internal temp 190 and let sit in tent/foil should I pull it off then or go to 225 then pull it off? Or does pulling it off at 190 let it cook in its own juices to 225 as it sits..🤔

Jamie

Ohio
you could pull it at 190, but a brisket is not going to go from 190 to 225 in a foil tent. it might go up another 5-10 degrees at most. if you are going to leave it in your smoker for the duration, I would start checking for tenderness/doneness at 195-200 degrees. you won't need to reach an internal temp of 225 degrees for it to be done to perfection. the highest I've ever taken one is 212, and it was probably done just the same at 210. likewise, I've never had one satisfactorily tender at anything less than 203 degrees. your mileage may vary.

as soon as I'm content with the doneness, I wrap tightly in heavy duty foil, wrap in an old towel and place brisket in an empty cooler until I'm ready to eat. I would let it rest at least 20-30 minutes, but I like to have them done early, FTC (foil/towel/cooler) for up to 5 hours, so I can get everything else ready and have a couple drinks before slicing meat. it will still burn your hand after several hours in cooler. cooler works great for keeping stuff hot, too.

Floki

Update just put the eggs on to smoke. Checked temp around 135.
Really surprised happy I haven’t had to fight the temperature on grill. It’s been smooth as shit.Like me with the ladies back in the day. 🤣blahhaahaa
So Jamie you think I should let it go to 200 before pulling? If so I will..
AA87F0DD-63E8-4284-99EF-D5C3E58AB0B1.jpeg

Jamie

Ohio
do you have a ThermaPen or similar accurate instant read thermometer? when thermometer probe goes in smooth and easy, it's done. I use a Redi-Check digital thermometer to monitor internal temp from start to finish. when that probe reads 195, I start poking the thickest part of the flat with my thermapen. if it's not tender enough to suit me, I let it go up another 4-5 degrees, check for tenderness again. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not concerned with reaching a specific temp at which I remove brisket from oven and call it done. I'm feeling for doneness starting at about 195 degrees and cooking it longer until I like the way the probe feels going in. keep probing until it feels just right. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Floki and Dustinb80

BCamp

Dayton
I've got a few recipes that say when it feels like you're pushing on a giant marshmallow it's done instead of looking for a temperature.

Reactions: Floki

Floki

For some reason I’m not moving up much from 135 upped the temp. Eggs are smoked.. I’m getting buzzed .. life’s good. I got a meat thermometer. Slides in easy etc we’ll see. May take a little more time. Life’s good!

84FF792F-4EED-43EB-ABE1-7A00E849DB10.jpeg

Reactions: MoonLab