Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Hill

P8riot

Carbon, In
Hey all!

Been busy here. Haven't been on much lately. If I'm not working...I'm working!

Been about a month now since we got our house/property. It is situated on a ridge and I jokingly told my wife "This is the hill I will die on" So it now has the name The Hill. I thought it would be cool to post updates of random projects and such here. Other guhs do similar things and I like following them.

Took 3 trips moving here. 2 with the wife and 1 solo. Once everything was here, the work began! I had to clean the gutters immediately because watet was getting in the basement. Gutyers were jam packed. That was probably the reason why the water was getting in. Plus the negative slope to the house. A corner piece of gutter was broke which meant all that water was draining straight down, pooling and then coming in next to the chimney. I jimmy rigged the gutter and came up with this hillbilly temp fix. 🤣🤣
20221011_154310.jpg

Then it was trying to fix the water softener. It wasnt pulling from the brine tank so I ripped it all apart and left it in worse shape. It was an old Culligan so I will have to replace it. Sent the well water off for testing so I know what Im dealing with to tailor a system to my needs.

Then fixing shower drain leaks, a frozen freezer drain on the fridge. The cpvc broke at the washer supply so I had that to deal with. Then little odds and ends.

Finally I was able to start on my baby. The shop! The previous ownet had used it for wood working so the walls were covered in saw dust. Brushed them, vacuumed and finally I broke down and had to wipe down the entire interior.
20221022_173729.jpg20221021_182348.jpg

I got all my stuff in yesterday and I have to organize it now!

P8riot

Carbon, In
@Mike does that inside corner need the snow guards?
The shop has the ice guards but not the house. He had the metal roof done a year ago. I know he was in bad shape at that time and I think the roofers knew that he wouldn't be checking it. His buddy said the Amish did it. They may know furniture, but the more I learn about them...their work is less than desireable on houses. There are flashing issues. I need to have a roofer out to evaluate it.

In one part, the metal roof is an inch from the far side of the gutter. I couldn't get anything in there to clean it. Water is probably just running right over it. 😑 I imagine that will need cut back.

• Wow
Reactions: "J" and Mike

P8riot

Carbon, In
20221103_191427.jpg

Just got my lights done. I went with regular medium base BR40 led bulbs from home depot. They are Ecosmart 2200 lumen. PAR bulbs made horrible shadows. BR bulbs are a more spread out even light. They were around $11 each I think and you can select the color. 3k, 4k, 5k. The ufo lights didnt sit well with me in the event one goes bad as everything is Chinese. These are a simple swap in that event and much cheaper. Plus they arent too harsh on the eyes!

There were already boxes up there, just had to add the bulb fixture and then modify some of the existing cans.

Last edited:

P8riot

Carbon, In
I did another mod...I'm not too particularly proud of 😒 I can't believe I'm sharing this...

I bought 12 of those heavy duty shelves from Sam's Club and I had all the boxes in my basement. The basement is studded and I probably wont get around to dry walling for a good while. I'm going to be having contractors in the house and I don't want them seeing some of the stuff in the back part of the basement.

Maybe you see where I'm going with this...

Hillbilly drywall!!

20221102_180020.jpg
20221102_175922.jpg

P8riot

Carbon, In
Now for the detached garage. I started cleaning it this past weekend. It needs wired for lighting and outlets. Plenty of panel space, I just need to spring for the Romex, ouch!! Should take me a weekend or 2. The new Springwell water softener/filter should be arriving soon, so that will take precidence! I'm tired of showering in rotten eggs!

20221106_101932.jpg

20221106_101924.jpg