Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The proverbial light bulb just went off

Creamer

Athens
I've hunted with the treestand setup of a LW Alpha hang-on and 5 LW sticks for...what feels like ever. Close to 10 years maybe. But, I've been scouting some public ground in the past 6-8 months and the treks in where I'd like to hunt with that much weight on my back? No thanks. A buddy of mine, I'm guessing possibly 10ish years ago, bought a Trophyline Tree Saddle and literally never hunted from it. Not one time. I asked if he still had it, if he'd mind if I borrowed it to see if it was something I'd try on public this year. His response was just take it, he didn't see himself ever using it since he hasn't used it yet. It took me a few minutes to figure out the straps and how basically to put it on, but once I got in the tree and leaned back...oh shit. Wow. I'll grant that I wasn't in it that long, maybe 25 minutes today. I shot three 5-arrow groups with my recurve after I got in and got comfortable with it. I've never been that comfortable in a tree. It's easier to shoot from than I expected, with the only real trouble spot being directly to the right. I'm a right-handed shooter, and on an animal that comes to the right (as you face the tree), it will require some sliding around the side of the tree to be able to shoot. I need to add a strap on step to help with that. I doubt I splurge for a high-end saddle platform yet. Today I was just on top of a LW stick. I can see some sort of lightweight knee pads being a worthy thing to have if you're resting your knees against the tree.

This was an eye-opener. Once it's on, it feels like you're not really wearing anything extra. I played with drawing and aiming off the my left, behind me, shooting off the left edge of the tree in front of me...it's all a lot easier than I expected it to be.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I had one of the original Tree Suits many years ago before the copy cats came out. Seemed like a good thing, but I only used it a few times. Hated facing, straddling the tree for the whole sit. Actually just sold it a few years ago to someone who really did like them and wanted another one of the original version. Good luck with it!

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Why not use a rock climbing harness? I’m not familiar w a tree saddle but seems to be the same concept.

A lot of public hunters are using the rock climbing harness w one stick or two and can go as high as they want. I watched a video, too sketchy for me in my older years, but in the 20’s and 30’s it looks like a great concept.

My buddy and i used to hunt from a saddles a lot in ohio. We always used climbing gafts and loggers climbing rope so we didnt need sticks. Once you are up the tree you set the saddle up and strap in. I hung the gafts off the saddle on a rope. We could pretty much hunt any tree in the woods we wanted. Super light weight amd easy to pack in and out system.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Makes my twig 'n berries feel cramped just looking at it! 😂

Seriously though, I've been curious about these saddle setups but I'd definitely have to try one out first, Ike you're doing. I just really like my treestands. It would have to be pretty life-changing for me to make the switch.

Creamer

Athens
Wonder how you feel after say 8 hours in one. Especially 8 hours in december or January.

That's what I need to find out this season. 20 minutes in the back yard in shorts is one thing, a long sit during season is another.

Honestly, and this is coming from a LW user who thinks they are about as secure as they get for safety, the saddle feels safer to me. If you use a lineman's rope while you climb, then attach the tree tether, you're never not connected to the tree.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Creamer

Athens
It doesn't interest me in the least, but I have seen guys talk highly of them.

I'm sure it's not for everyone. My only point in the whole post was thinking outside the box might open your eyes to something that could change the way you do things for the better. Do you if it works for you, and we're all happy.

A buddy of mine who sort of got me started down this path (who killed a great velvet Coues buck in Arizona a few days ago, I'm jealous of him) asked me if I had a lineman's rope. I did, I honestly hadn't used it that much and didn't even realize the saddle I'm using has built-in loops for one. That definitely makes getting tethered to the tree a snap. At least with the tether and saddle I have, it's a fairly heavy duty (stiff) strap and getting it hooked to the carabiner is a lot easier with two hands.

I didn't keep track but I must have shot in the neighborhood of 30 arrows from it today from a few different angles.

Creamer

Athens
While slightly intrigued, I could see my legs getting restless quickly. Hell ladder stands get me fidgety after a couple hours. Once you get some hunts in with it, update this thread, if you wouldn't mind.

Absolutely. I was chatting last night with my AZ buddy and he has a spare old platform he used last year with his saddle at his parents place here near Athens, so I'll probably give that a try whenever I can run over and pick it up.

It's a weird thing with the Trophy Line saddle I'm using, but I'm going to have to mark the shoulder straps somehow to make it a little more fool proof to get into. When I'm looking at the shoulder straps it just looks like a pile of spaghetti made out of elastic straps. The only purpose they really serve is to keep the saddle on you while you're walking in/out, so they aren't load bearing or anything.