Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The story of the Wide 8...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For those that don't like to read, just scroll down to The Ending and start there...

“Your mom and I are thinking about buying a farm. You want to come home this weekend and walk it with me?”

As crazy as it may seem to some, those words have been etched in my mind for 14 years. This is how my dad opened the conversation when he called me in late-September 2005; and after walking the farm the following weekend, I knew his words provided the perfect start to the story of my first buck off the farm. A farm now affectionately known as The Farm with No Name. A farm that has humbled me like no other thing – other than fatherhood - has done in my 37 years on this planet. You see, I was certain the story wouldn’t take long to write. After all, on my first hunt there, I had a P&Y 8-point inside bow range and as a disciple of the Drury brothers, I knew if I invested enough time, effort, and money, reward was certain. What a fool I was! Over the next 13 seasons, bucks named Deuce, Porky, Moe, Captain Jack, Daryl Dawkins, and Wilson would get my hopes up, then repeatedly crush my soul. I would spend nearly 2,000 hours in a treestand or blind, and another thousand or two checking cameras, planting food plots, and prepping stands. And money? It’ll buy blinds, cameras, gear, lime, fertilizer, food plot seed, treestands, hundreds of batteries, and several tons of corn. But money only buys big bucks if you hunt inside a fence…

I’ve left blood, sweat, and tears on The Farm with No Name, all in the pursuit of what was supposed to be the inevitable. My reward was not the wall full of bucks I’d envisioned, but something much more valuable. I was rewarded with a life-altering journey that gave me the humility and perspective that only comes from pursuing something difficult, then failing again and again before finally realizing success. Had I shot that 8-point on my first hunt and had things went the way I was certain they would, I’m not sure I’d want to hunt with me today. When a hunter says he/she can’t put into words why they do what they do, and despite my best efforts to convey that sentiment through this story, know that for us diehards, this is a story about who we are and why we do what we do.

My name is Jesse and I’m a bowhunter. This is the story of my first buck off The Farm with No Name.

---

The Build

With 13 years of failure behind me, I entered the 2019 season with a fresh perspective about hunting and what I should get out of my experiences outdoors, especially on The Farm with No Name. I was excited about the prospects of a good season, but not because of my “hit list”. See, long lists of shooters with cleverly assigned names is a thing of the past. Not only are there less big deer than there used to be, I also don’t run as many cameras, don’t move them around nearly as much, and I’m no longer baiting. As a result, my hit list was the shortest it has ever been heading into the season. One buck represented my entire hit list: the Wide 8. With pictures from both the 2017 and 2018 seasons, we had history and I knew he was fully mature at 5.5, or older, so he was a legitimate shooter. Although not the biggest buck ever photographed on the farm, and having passed bigger bucks in pursuit of giants and ghosts, the Wide 8 was true to his name as arguably one of the widest bucks to have ever called our place home. With a great spread and solid brows, he had my attention and until something else diverted that attention, the chess match between him and I was underway.

The Farm with No Name is 80 acres, but it hunts small due to restricted access. At one time, I ran as many as 10 cameras here and quite frankly, the process of running so many cameras hurt my cause more than it helped. Now, I run 4 cameras, with only 3 being allocated to the role of scouting, the fourth being relegated to security duty. Once hunting season rolls around, those 3 cameras go over the same 3 mocks scrapes, giving me an accurate assessment of what’s going on within 3 separate areas of the farm. When a buck begins to appear on all 3 cameras, I leverage 13 seasons of learning to decipher where he’s coming from, heading to, and where best to intercept him. The 2017 season was the first season where I really felt I’d pulled all the pieces of the puzzle together and on Veteran’s Day, I almost got to write this story. But, true to my bad luck, it was not meant to be. I failed to execute in the moment of truth and hit a nice buck I’d named Wilson, high and through the infamous “no man’s land”. He survived 24 hours, only to be shot by the neighbor the next morning. It hurt my pride, but I learned much more than to aim lower on the body and bend more a the waist when shooting from an elevated position. I had pieced together scouting intel and for once, a buck followed the script. I was certain another buck would do the same in seasons to come and this season, the Wide 8 started acting a lot like Wilson.

Something else I’ve stopped doing over the years is hunting during October. I only hunt our farm in October if conditions are absolutely perfect. This year, that meant I’d only hunted there twice before November arrived, logging just 4 hours in a tree. Looking back at hunting logs, I hunted more than 50 hours in October during the 2007 season. There were several seasons where I burnt out the farm before conditions really warranted it. Along with male-pattern baldness, old age comes with patience and while I hate my bald spot, my newfound patience has made me a better hunter!

In the rain on Halloween day, I checked all 3 cams and cut one last tree out of my way in a spot I call the Corner Pocket. The short story about the Corner Pocket is it is the site of the first food plot planted on the farm and it has about everything to offer that you could ask of a spot. Proximity to bedding. Food. Topography. Scrapes. Advantageous access. And favorable wind conditions. With a bit of manipulation from me over the years, it’s become a textbook “Drury-approved” spot and is one of my favorite places to hunt. If you care to learn more about this spot, watch this short video where I go into depth about what makes it such a great spot.

What that cam check confirmed was the Wide 8 was all but retracing Wilson’s steps from two years prior. “The Sanctuary” is a spot immediately adjacent to the Corner Pocket. Several years ago, I convinced my dad to stop brushhogging this area and what was once a ½-acre thicket, is now 3+ acres of prime bedding cover. Wilson liked to bed there and based on camera intel, so did the Wide 8. More importantly, the does love it and this time of year, that’s a recipe for success. With solid scouting data and a forecasted break in the weather, November 1st, 2019 was lining up to be a perfect collision of circumstances. But, as our late-friend Ted would say: “There’s always a but…” I’d been here before and I’ve come to expect defeat, so my enthusiasm was tempered. Surely I’d find a way to mess it up…

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The Hunt

The forecast called for straight west winds, which are acceptable, but not preferable on the farm. With confirmed movement in/out of The Sanctuary, and conditions favorable for scraping activity, I chose to hunt a stand in a spot called The Pond Hollow. In theory, with a west wind, I can access this stand with the wind in my face, blowing back over a field where deer rarely go to or come from. With rising thermals, my scent would surely be carried away and I should be able to avoid detection in a spot that’s set for a northerly wind. On my walk in, I stopped periodically to check the wind, which stayed in my face and occasionally, cast from the NW, which is really the best wind for the spot. But then I climbed in the tree and true to Appalachian nature, the wind was contrary. It was wafting this way and that, several times back drafting towards the creek bottom where I expected deer to travel. I had partially unpacked when I paused to consider packing up and moving to a spot with a more favorable wind.

I glanced at my phone to check the time - 7:25 AM – first legal minute of shooting light, but still too dark to shoot with it being overcast. I had time to move and with another gust hitting me in the back of the neck, I turned to start packing up when I heard the telltale sound of a deer walking. Right there below me in the creek, at 22 steps, was the Wide 8 heading towards The Sanctuary to either bed down, or check for does. I immediately puffed my wind checker and as the powder drifted towards him, I held my breath. Bad morning breath or not, I was doomed if he got my scent. Sure enough, he slammed on the breaks, paused for a moment to check the wind, and immediately took 3 bounds in the opposite direction before slipping into a thick bowl on the neighboring farm. Son of a bitch! That moment was exemplary of the previous 13 seasons on the farm and I was now more certain than ever, I was cursed!

After a short expletive-laced tirade, I finished packing and climbed down so I could switch to the stand in the Corner Pocket. The wind was perfect for accessing it and as long as it would stay westerly and shift to a southerly cast as predicted, I should be fine. The morning hunt was uneventful with another small buck and a mature doe being the only sightings. I sat until 11, then headed home to do some chores and regroup for the afternoon hunt.

Once back at the farm, I had yet another mishap. With the wind still slightly unpredictable and not quite as forecasted, I was considering hanging and hunting from a spot on our North Ridge where I had several daylight videos of bucks, including the Wide 8, hitting a mock scrape. Just one problem… I forgot my good harness. That meant I had to use a freebie from a treestand purchase and without a lineman’s belt, I was relegated to a previously hung set. This twist of fate proved to be the difference between ending the streak and outthinking myself yet one more time. The Corner Pocket called my name as a result. As I said in my post from the Live from the Stand thread: “There's 3 scrapes around the edge of this plot. Surely something will want to get downwind of the bedding that's 75 yards away, while they check scrapes and scent check the food...” The script was written, I just needed a lead actor to step in bring the story to life.

The Ending

The evening progressed with several squirrels preparing for winter, a flock of hen turkeys enjoying the beautiful weather, an encounter with a mature doe and her fawn, and two yearling fawns that made multiple appearances in the cut bean field above the Corner Pocket food plot. At 6:50PM, with light fading and the same two yearlings in the field, I put my phone back in my pocket after confirming legal shooting light ended in 9 minutes. I turned back towards the field and immediately noticed a third deer had entered the field. I didn’t see a rack at first, so I assumed it was momma doe, but pulled out my binos to confirm. I slowly raised my binos and nearly as soon as they hit my eyes, I was putting them back. When he cleared the tree between us, the Wide 8 made his presence known immediately! With that wide rack and great brows, there was no doubt who it was and I immediately went into kill mode.

Whatever was going to happen, it needed to happen fast ‘cause light was fading fast! After stuffing my binos back in my pack, I grabbed my grunt tube and hit him with a deep grunt. He was above me on the hill, 100 yards out and walking straight at me. When he heard the grunt, he stopped, then turned towards the two yearlings in the field. He was working away from me, so I hit him with two more deep grunts. After confirming the two yearlings were not what he was after, he turned towards me and started down through an area of goldenrod that I’d mashed down with the quad to encourage deer travel. Like mature bucks do, he took his time and was on high alert. When he crossed a mowed trail on the edge of the food plot, he again turned away from me and started towards The Sanctuary. He stopped at the main trail entering the plot, so I hit him with two very light grunts and he immediately about-faced and started my direction.

I stuffed my grunt call back in my pack and started assessing my shot options. He could either check the main scrape giving me a 35-yard, broadside shot, or continue towards me to check another couple of scrapes, giving me a 13-yard shot, or worse, no shot at all. With every step, he grunted as he angled his way across the food plot. At 16 steps, I grunted him to a stop. He was quartered to me, but with 2 more steps and 60 more seconds, the gig was up. It was now or never.

Anchor. Bubble. Pin. Float. Squeeze.

As I was finishing my shot mantra, the shot surprised me. I watched the arrow drive home through his upper-chest and hit him like a ton of bricks. He bolted out of the food plot, headed downhill towards the creek, and after some commotion and a loud crack, all was quiet. It was 6:52PM. Two minutes to spare! Initially, I was concerned. The shot sounded like chest, but also like paunch. I also didn’t get a pass-through, which is unlike my setup. With the angle of the shot, I felt it was lethal, but finding blood would be difficult. After a few texts, I packed up and 20 minutes after the shot, I started looking for signs of the hit. Much to my surprise, I found blood immediately. I marked the spot and did the hardest thing to do at that point: backed out and went home.

A couple hours later, I returned to the farm with my cousin and a couple of buddies to start the track job. After 13 seasons of buildup, the track job was fairly anticlimactic. The arrow took out his front-side lung, destroyed his liver, nicked the stomach, and exited, hitting him in the back left leg. The 3-blade, large cutting diameter Grim Reaper Whitetail Special ate him up and he was dead before I even climbed out of the tree. In my 20th season of bowhunting and the 14th season of bowhunting The Farm with No Name, I finally had the buck I’d poured so much time, effort, and money into.

In Closing

Few successes happen without the support of several people. To all my brothers in TOOville, thank you all for making this place the best damn deer camp on the web. Several of you played a key role in keeping me focused on what truly matters with hunting and I’ll always appreciate that support. To my sister-in-law Maddie, who agreed to stay with the girls so I could hunt that night, a huge thanks is in order! To PJ, Brandon, and Jimmy, thank you guys for helping with the recovery and sharing the moment with me. To my wife, who affords me more time, freedom, and understanding than most hunting widows ever will, no note of thanks is sufficient. And to my parents, who could largely care less about deer hunting, let alone quality deer management, and who likely would have sold the farm by now if it weren’t for my love of it, I will be eternally appreciative for your support of my obsession with hunting. On Christmas day 20 years ago, you started that obsession by gifting me a Bear Whitetail II and in October 2005, you spun it into a full-blown lifetime pursuit with the purchase of The Farm with No Name. No gift will ever give back to me like the simple gift of a stick and string has.

That’s the story of the Wide 8. My first buck off The Farm with No Name.

IMG_0210.JPG

DSCN7222.JPG

DSCN7227.JPG

This. This is what it's all about!

20191102_140954.jpg

Last edited:

Corey27

Ohio
Congrats Jesse. What a wonderfully written retelling. I have enjoyed following your journey over the years and hope you have more success in the future.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

lung buster

hocking county
I've always enjoyed following your pursuits, clear back to the bowhunter1023 days of other places...always admired your dedication and passion. Awesome right up on a well deserved deer! Congrats man!

Reactions: bowhunter1023