Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Streak - Ver. 2.0

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Those of you that have followed along over the years know my wife has killed 15 deer in 15 seasons. Only season she didn't kill one was 2012 when she was pregnant with Kaydence and didn't get to hunt. We joked last year that it was time for K to take over the streak and tonight, I kept my guiding streak alive, but with a different Roush girl!

We've been shooting here and there since turkey season, but she's not expressed interest in hunting, so it wasn't on my radar. Not until I came home with my buck last weekend and she said she wanted to hunt that is! We shot roughly 50 times throughout the week, including one last shot tonight before walking in and she's been doing great, so I was pretty confident she could get the job done. She's been around enough dead animals that we're long past the psychological aspect of hunting, it was just a matter of weapon control at this point and she actually exceeded my expectations this week.

We settled in around 4 and I updated the Live from the Stand! thread at 4:50. It wasn't 5 minutes later and I looked up to see a big old football-headed nanny doe walking right to us. While she fed at 23 steps facing us, I helped K get out of the sleeping bag, turned on the scope, then slipped it off safety. I'd positioned the crossbow and tri-pod in the only spot I felt comfortable letting her shoot. As I was talking to K about getting ready to shoot once the turned, the doe turned perfectly broadside, took two steps and cleared the brush she was behind, and I bleated her to a stop.

"You got her?"

"Yep."

"Behind the leg. Halfway up. Squuuuz..."

"THWACK!"

Rage through the cage and a Ray Charles blood trail lead to a dead doe 75 yards away. And one ecstatic dad and daughter! She'll turn 7 on New Year's Eve and I'd always look at 6 as the age when I could start putting my kids on deer. I can't tell ya how good it feels to make that dream come true! I never touched the bow after I took the safety off, she was in total control the whole time. Even with her breathing!

IMG_20191108_175943_150.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

Entrance wound. She translated the Glen-Del to a live deer like a pro!

IMG_0933.jpg

jimk

My youngest daughter is 14 and says she will go sit with me in the blind. She has always gone fishing when I asked and even asked me to go a few times to the local pond. It's great to see that you have one that is ready to hunt and be in the outdoors so early. You will always remember these times forever!! Congrats!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very impressive right there! Especially for a 6 year old! Daddy better watch out... Bragging rights are gonna be tough to come by in the coming years!

Reactions: bowhunter1023