Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking about taking up Turkey hunting...

Smawgunner

Athens
I'm a deer hunter but never got into Turkey hunting. Don't know the first thing about it. I own an 870 for home defense, so can I simply swap out for a turkey barrel? If so, what is recommended? Choke? What type of shells? Scope it?
Tactics are a whole other thread I'm sure...so I'll just leave it at that for now.
Appreciate it!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
You want a tight choke . I personally don't care for optics on turkey guns but others prefer them. If your home defense barrel takes tubes get a tight tube , some decent turkey loads . And see how it patterns

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What barrel do you have on your 870 for home defense? If it is a slug barrel, then yes, you will want to change it.

Lots of sharp guys on here in regards to turkey hunting. I don't happen to be one of them. I am not a die hard turkey hunter but I will tell you it is pretty dang exciting when you hear them gobble close! It is well worth trying. Definitely can be a challenge. Then other times it seems real easy. I've had them come in and had a gun not fire. I have only killed one. It was a jake. He came wandering in alone and I killed him. Really not very exciting. Just wanted to kill my first bird. Last year I learned a tough lesson. If you shoot one, RUN OUT AND STEP ON IT'S HEAD! They WILL get up and run away. Like I said, I'm not real great at it but I'm learning and that is fun. Good luck to you!

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Well hey. I'm glad we could finally drag you out of the Shadows and get you to post some. Welcome.

if the barrel you currently have does not accept screw in chokes you will need to get another barrel so that you can screw a turkey choke into it. There are tons of options when it comes to jokes but really just about any of them will get the job done. once you have the gun squared away then you can pick up a couple boxes of turkey loads to see which one shoots better. But really if you just wanted to pick up a single box you can do that also, just make sure you shoot it at a big piece of paper a couple times to make sure it's hitting where you're aiming.

Reactions: Smawgunner

Smawgunner

Athens
Thanks all! It's a smoothbore so I'll need another barrel which is no big deal I guess although my wife ain't going to be happy with 200.00 less in our account HA! I do have a crossbow but I'd think it'd create more movement setting up a shot than I'd like. Which got me thinking,..if you wing one of these birds, do you just walk up and ring its neck to put it out of its misery? I'm actually looking forward to this season! Gives me a new/good excuse to sit out in the woods.

Reactions: Jackalope

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks all! It's a smoothbore so I'll need another barrel which is no big deal I guess although my wife ain't going to be happy with 200.00 less in our account HA! I do have a crossbow but I'd think it'd create more movement setting up a shot than I'd like. Which got me thinking,..if you wing one of these birds, do you just walk up and ring its neck to put it out of its misery? I'm actually looking forward to this season! Gives me a new/good excuse to sit out in the woods.
Step on its head, or ring it's neck. I prefer to step on the head and press my hands down on the body so the feathers don't get messed up. Hunting them with a crossbow wouldn't add anymore movement than a gun, just aim for where the wing meets the body.