Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This could make things interesting

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Read this in the Columbus Dispatch on Sunday, and haven't followed up with anybody at Alum for more details, but this could make launching boats difficult this season...

Ramping up

Drawdown will begin in a few days at Alum Creek Reservoir, where water levels will be dropped 11 feet during the next two months. The reason for the early and deep drawdown is to facilitate the refurbishing of the New Galena and Hollenback boat ramps.

The ramps will close for construction on Oct. 16 at 10 p.m. to complete the work, which includes the expansion of parking lots. The New Galena area is scheduled to be closed until late June and Hollenback until May 1.

The drawdown, which is 8 feet more than what is typical during the winter, will expose some interesting terrain for anglers to explore. What it might do for the ospreys that nest in the upper shallows each spring remains to be seen.

Hmmmm

Milo

Tatonka guide.
they are idiots in my opinion. use a water bladder dam to work on the ramps and let us enjoy the water. bet those guys with blinds will be pissed.

they did this to tappan lake last year , the shad catching was shit this year and so was most of the fishing cause it sent the fish deeper then normal or they couldnt get to the deep in time and ended up as popcicles

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
they are idiots in my opinion. use a water bladder dam to work on the ramps and let us enjoy the water. bet those guys with blinds will be pissed.

The did this to CJ brown 2 years ago. The bowfishing has been shit ever since, because the carp couldn;t get deep enough... Then 2 years in a row they raised the water levels too high in the spring, the carp went into the grass and cattails, then they dropped the level trapping them.. The whole lake stunk like death for weeks..

Bunch of Amateurs.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
yeah they are..those water dams are actually pretty cheap...its a fuggin boat ramp for lords sake...concrete and wood. 2 weeks max...wtf...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
yeah they are..those water dams are actually pretty cheap...its a fuggin boat ramp for lords sake...concrete and wood. 2 weeks max...wtf...

Hell it took the corps all summer and well into fall before they completed ours.. And they've had to drop the level twice to fix the overflow gate. I don't have a bunch of love for the corps of engineers. Especially after what they've done to the lower Mississippi in the name of flood and erosion control. And that's saying something considering my dad is a 37 year structural engineer with the corps. But he'll tell you the same...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

Yep... gonna be a long walk in for some of those spots.

Probably not even worth hunting there this year.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I could see it helping with the deer hunter there this year. Now they can push alot more areas in gun.

11 feet is crazy imho.

The usual winter drop is only 3 feet I believe. At 11 most of the bottom around Howard Road is going to be exposed especially north (where there is actually great catfishing. Hmm. Hit'em in the sack Milo!