Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Torquing anchor

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Ok all. I love to shoot my bow. I shoot almost daily all year round. This past summer I shot the best I ever have - shooting great groups to 60.

This year ive shot a few deer and my confident for hunting 25 yards and in is fine.

However - I just feel like every year I am adjusting something or something doesn’t feel “perfect”. I’ve noticed the past few times I’ve shot, i am feeling shaky at full draw and feels like I’m torquing my draw hand a bit - this seems to mostly be at 30 yards or deeper.

Any tips ? I blind bale and feel great. Any mental queues to tell yourself to keep anchor by ear solid (that’s where I like to anchor)?

Thanks boys! Go kill em!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Fast and shaky usually equates to a draw length that is too short. Slow and loopy, draw length too long. When you say “shaky,” does it feel “jumpy” too? Maybe your draw length is a touch too short. Maybe you’ve been straightening your bow arm a bit more than usual. That’s my guess... because when your draw length is just right, you should be locked right in when at full draw... back tension, anchor, bow arm, all solid, stable, and in good alignment. Maybe that’s why you feel like you’re always changing something every year, because you keep chasing a comfort that you can’t find or maintain with poor alignment.

Or it could just be another form of target panic. It could all be in your head.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I asked about release because I got jumpy with a wrist strap due to "fighting" my anchor. It got to where it never felt right. When I switched to a t-handle, I was able to lock in better and the rest of my form fell in line.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
If you are shaky, you are out of alignment somewhere. Most likely on the back end, drawing arm. From the elbow, through the arrow, straight line. Anything else is wrong.[/QUOTE

Yes. This seems right. Like sometimes I’m money but sometimes it’s just not “perfect”. I must be not settling straight and that’s why I get that shaky feeling.

Any tips on correcting it. Man idk I felt like I was so rock solid all summer long and then boom it’s like something changed.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I asked about release because I got jumpy with a wrist strap due to "fighting" my anchor. It got to where it never felt right. When I switched to a t-handle, I was able to lock in better and the rest of my form fell in line.

I get that. I can see how/where a damn wrist release can set different on your hand so sometimes it feels solid and others torqued.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Fast and shaky usually equates to a draw length that is too short. Slow and loopy, draw length too long. When you say “shaky,” does it feel “jumpy” too? Maybe your draw length is a touch too short. Maybe you’ve been straightening your bow arm a bit more than usual. That’s my guess... because when your draw length is just right, you should be locked right in when at full draw... back tension, anchor, bow arm, all solid, stable, and in good alignment. Maybe that’s why you feel like you’re always changing something every year, because you keep chasing a comfort that you can’t find or maintain with poor alignment.

Or it could just be another form of target panic. It could all be in your head.

Jim - interestingly enough I thought that maybe I am getting frustrated and not bending my front elbow as much. I also felt like my draw could be a touch long - although I could see it maybe being short hence why I feel like I struggle to get “deep” into draw and I’m torquing wrist to get deep in anchor.I’ve shot this bow for ten years and shot it well. However I want to be more comfortable and consistent than I am at this given moment.

Those of y’all who know me, know im
Shooting well and I’m an over analyzing nut about everything. So take that for what it is worth. lol!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You said blind bail you’re fine? Have you ever drawn to anchor with your eyes closed? Keep them closed, settle into a rock solid anchor before opening your eyes. Sound ridiculous, it isn’t. I have found if I get that “not right” feeling, I can fix it by drawing and anchoring with my eyes closed. Often we short cut things in the process. You can look through your peep from most any anchor, but you won’t shoot well if you’ve not settled into your rock solid anchor before going to the peep. The difference between being settle and not settled can be maddening if your trying to sort it out with eyes open. Simple with them closed. You’ll not be distracted by visual stimuli. I’m too freaking stoned on Percs right now to make sense.... draw your bow to anchor repeatedly with your eyes closed, settle into a solid anchor. Do it anytime you are shooting and things don’t feel right. It’s a simple alignment issue. This is one way to re-align your subconscious to what a proper, solid anchor feels like.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
You said blind bail you’re fine? Have you ever drawn to anchor with your eyes closed? Keep them closed, settle into a rock solid anchor before opening your eyes. Sound ridiculous, it isn’t. I have found if I get that “not right” feeling, I can fix it by drawing and anchoring with my eyes closed. Often we short cut things in the process. You can look through your peep from most any anchor, but you won’t shoot well if you’ve not settled into your rock solid anchor before going to the peep. The difference between being settle and not settled can be maddening if your trying to sort it out with eyes open. Simple with them closed. You’ll not be distracted by visual stimuli. I’m too freaking stoned on Percs right now to make sense.... draw your bow to anchor repeatedly with your eyes closed, settle into a solid anchor. Do it anytime you are shooting and things don’t feel right. It’s a simple alignment issue. This is one way to re-align your subconscious to what a proper, solid anchor feels like.

This makes total sense to me and I’ll do that this week. You nailed this for me I know this is issue. You all kick ass!! Thanks.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Well idk why but I’ve always been a visual archer. The way @brock ratcliff expalianed the above I could visualize my errors instantly.

Shot today and felt back to normal. I continued to tell myself “elbow straight back on draw, anchor knuckle by ear, squeeze”

I am not sure how/why I got into a bad spell of torquing my arm but I feel I am anchored solid again.

Thank you all!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I appreciate you sharing the struggles with us @at1010 because it drew out expert advice from @brock ratcliff and @jagermeister, two guys that know their shit when it comes to archery (and a lot of other cool stuff). The other lesson I take from this is the importance of a mantra. It seems trivial when it's the physical that's causing the issues, but a strong mental checklist is a critical part of executing a fundamentally sound shot. My belief is the mantra is the key to having an autopilot. I had some struggles after my terrible 2017 season and it boiled down to being lazy with my shot process. I tightened up my mantra and things got better with enough reps.

Glad to hear you're feeling like a remedy was found!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I appreciate you sharing the struggles with us @at1010 because it drew out expert advice from @brock ratcliff and @jagermeister, two guys that know their shit when it comes to archery (and a lot of other cool stuff). The other lesson I take from this is the importance of a mantra. It seems trivial when it's the physical that's causing the issues, but a strong mental checklist is a critical part of executing a fundamentally sound shot. My belief is the mantra is the key to having an autopilot. I had some struggles after my terrible 2017 season and it boiled down to being lazy with my shot process. I tightened up my mantra and things got better with enough reps.

Glad to hear you're feeling like a remedy was found!

For sure brother. I’m fairly anal about my process all summer long. I actually will make notes in my phone as I shoot. As an example - “don’t get lazy with draw arm, keep tension” Or “get finger over trigger not on it”. I’ll review these notes before I shoot.

I find that sometimes once season starts and frustration sets in, it’s so easy to just get lost into a bad rhythm.

Even though I’ve made good shots on deer this year, I never feel like I’m “good enough” that’s somewhat of a curse and a blessing in my life. Hahaha.

Hope this helps someone else as well. Keep after them.

Reactions: Isaacorps and giles