Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail camera ban

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
You guys seen this? I don’t remember a discussion on it.

• Wow
Reactions: Mike

Jamie

Ohio
I'm sure it deters some would-be trespassers. Locks are for honest people, you know. I can tell you this; if I had to step across a fence without permission to retrieve a dog, a dead deer, or whatever as a one time thing, it would not stop me. forgiveness is much easier to get than permission. If I were purposefully trespassing, I would not show my face while lurking unlawfully because it seems these days that every swinging dick that owns an acre has at least one or two cameras out and feels like trespassing should be punishable by death. I find cameras on public ground while squirrel hunting, too. I can only imagine how many I DON'T see.

As a landowner, I'm not as uptight as most people when it comes to trespassing. no gate or fences on my place. hell, my one "No Trespassing" sign blew away last winter. getting a new one is a pretty low priority. I have considered getting a couple of cameras just to surveil the entrance to my property, but I would never employ them for hunting.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You guys seen this? I don’t remember a discussion on it.

IIRc when we hunted Arizona you couldn't have trail cams over a marked water catchment during season. Or as they call them tanks. They're really just catch ponds located in runoffs designed to catch the winter snow melt and hold it over the dry season. Without them the place would be devoid of game. You could put a camera on one but it had to be pulled prior to opening day. Having hunted it I fully understand why, water is king and there may be one water source in a 2 square mile area. Every swinging dick with a tag would have a camera on it and be checking them constantly at varying times. Just like every swinging dick tries to hunt them and it leads to issues. And by issues I mean first fights and even shootings. Which is stupid because those animals won't be anywhere near those tanks in daylight. If you want to meet fellow hunters sit a water tank and you'll meet a half dozen of them a day.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Unless it’s a telephoto lens, I’m safe….
istockphoto-1058316434-170667a.jpg