Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trailer maintenance - packing bearings

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
How long has it been since you changed the grease in your trailer's wheel bearings?
I learned the hard way back in the 80's that about 25 cents worth of grease is a lot cheaper than a failed bearing/axle damage.

That said, the task of pulling hubs and repacking bearings can be a pain in the ass. This tool, which I've stupidly avoided buying for so long, makes it so much better.

If you don't own a bearing packer, go buy one. Fucking now. Lisle Handy Packer Bearing Packer Part #: 34550
Yes, you can pack bearings by hand. Yes, you only do it very infrequently, so why spend money on a tool you only use every so oft.......WRONG, SO FUCKING WRONG. This fucking tool is titties, you have GOT to get one if you value your time. And not only that, I NEVER was able to do as good a job by hand as this tool does, it flushes all the old grease and completely fills the bearing, no worries.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
When I had my lawn care & snow removal business, that bearing packer was the cat's meow and used often let me tell ya. It is still an arm's length away whenever needed. Packed with high quality synthetic Mobile #1 grease.

Excellent recommendation Dan!

20200816_085530.jpg

Reactions: GoetsTalon