Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Transferring a car title out of state

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
OK my son is moving to Raleigh next week and we are giving him a 2001 Olds Alero that he's been driving while in school. Good enough car to get him started and after he gets settled he can trade it for something better.

What is the best way for us to transfer the title to him since he is moving? Do it here or wait and do it in NC? My guess is wait till he's there so he can register it there.

Huckleberry Finn

I'm not sure, but if you could make a checklist of all the procedures for moving out of state (Sorry, Ohio, I love ya, but the jobs are over the border), I'd appreciate it!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sign the back of the title and fill out the info for the sale with his new address out of state. He can then take the title to the new registrar and they should be able to contact Ohio and get the title transferred.. If you sell him that car here he will have to pay a sales tax on it based on the value, not the price paid.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not sure how NC works. In Ohio if you buy an out of state vehicle it needs to be inspected. Pretty much means they check the VIN number and charge you $5-6 at the license bureau.