Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tree Stand Maintenance...

Fletch

Supporting Member
How many of you guys ever replace the cables on your hang on stands??? Last fall I had a friend just get into his stand and had a cable snap.. Luckily he did not fall and quickly stepped onto his ladder sticks.. He did have to change his underwear though.. I always eyeball these cables from time to time and stop using a stand when I see a strand or two broken or the cable is rusting or corroding.. Currently I have about 8 not in use that need repair.. Thinking about either buying replacement cables or replacing cables with chain... What's your thoughts???

I have 5 hang-on's that I have replaced the cables with heavy welded chain and stainless bolts. Gives you peace of mind. Only thing you have to worry about then is the ratchet straps around the tree which I have been replacing the top one every year and rotating the old one to the bottom of the stand for extra stability.

Reactions: Boarhead and Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
I have 5 hang-on's that I have replaced the cables with heavy welded chain and stainless bolts. Gives you peace of mind. Only thing you have to worry about then is the ratchet straps around the tree which I have been replacing the top one every year and rotating the old one to the bottom of the stand for extra stability.
I'm thinking of using chains, however some say that cable is stronger... Maybe but I worry about the eyelet that is crimped on the end slipping... As for the straps around the tree I always use two just in case and swap them out for new ones every year or two depending whether or not the stand was left up at the end of the season... Can't be too safe...

Reactions: Big_Holla

Jamie

Ohio
never replaced a cable, but I always kept close eye on them, and kept them painted to keep rust at bay. I take all of my stands down at the end of the season to get them out of the weather and for inspection. I have not used any of the 7 or 8 cable type hang-on stands I have for a couple of years. I have all Lone Wolf stands now. no more cables to worry about, and the straps are easy to come by and replace if needed. quieter, easier to hang, and more comfy, too.

Reactions: Fletch
I'm thinking of using chains, however some say that cable is stronger... Maybe but I worry about the eyelet that is crimped on the end slipping... As for the straps around the tree I always use two just in case and swap them out for new ones every year or two depending whether or not the stand was left up at the end of the season... Can't be too safe...

The cable may be stronger when new but rust can clearly cause them to fail over time. A good welded chain with zinc coating should literally last a life time. Still doesn't hurt to take them down every year to inspect and paint even with the chain.

Reactions: Fletch and Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
Jamie... Im like you keeping a very close eye on them and ALWAYS take them down... Only exception was this year when I got sick and didn't make it back out to Illinois to hunt... I get flak from the other guys every year for taking them down...

Mike... Hang ons are safe, just got to use common sense and always stay attached to the tree with a life line...

Reactions: Jamie