Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey calling/ tactics

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
With Turkey season quickly approaching and me only trying this for one season I would appreciate some tips and pointers.
I have some calls ( thanks Chad) but don't know the proper time/place to use them.
Hoping you guys will help me out and help me get on a bird this season.
Thanks all.

tracker 6

In a thicket
Start scouting now.And have more than one spot.Listen to the birds and see what and where their doing what turkeys do.Call a little and look a lot.Imho it's more about being a good woodsman than being a good caller.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I agree with tracker...you don’t have to call a lot, just a few yelps every now and then. If there is a real talkative hen, try imitating everything she says...if she repeats herself regularly, start interrupting her and “talk” over her. This usually irritates them and she will come over to investigate, often bringing in a Tom with her. As they get closer, less is more. Only call softly if they loose interest and start to leave. Every day is different and what worked one day may not work the next. You can also try yelping then cutting loudly...sometimes this will get a silent Tom to give away his location. Good luck this spring.

Reactions: Dustinb80

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Fury has some great points and you'll find more than a few in the thread Aaron linked you to. I'll add this here as it's the best piece of advice I've learned from the guys over the years and credit to Joe for this tidbit: "Make him gobble because he wants you to call, not because you're calling." This requires some time afield to really grasp how it works in practice, but it is still intuitive enough to be useful from the start. It's easy to make a bird gobble (most days), but it's also very easy to over call when that's happening because let's face it, it's fun to hear them gobble. But calling too much can get you in trouble more often than not, so we have to be aware of the consequences of doing so. The only time I will call with the intent of making a bird gobble is at first light, or if I'm trying to locate him after several minutes (10+) of silence. The rest of the time, I try to let him dictate how much calling I do, especially if I know he's working towards me and knows where I am. Once I feel like he's "on the line", I'm going to wait for him to gobble, then I'm going to very lightly call to him with some clucks and purrs.

The only other time I call a lot is if I'm "fighting" a real hen. Then it's game on. It's fun, and good practice, to mimic her and try to cut her off. Doesn't seem to happen often, but I enjoy it when I do get the chance.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Gotta watch calling to a bird while he's still on the roost too. They have been known to hang up on the limb waiting for the hen to come to him before he'll fly down. When I'm within 75-100 yards of one on the roost I'll give a couple soft tree yelps, if he gobbles back I'll shut up. Do not continue to call to a gobbler while he is still in the tree.